Longest skunk you've had?

S
Spydeyrch
Ok, so to make a fun topic to discuss:

What is the longest skunk you have ever had? As in how long had you ever been skunked before you got a fish. (Having not fished for X years does not count as being skunked. :lol: You have to have been actively fishing to be considered skunked :))

What finally got rid of the skunk? (i.e. location, technique, season of the year, fish type, etc.)

Any story surrounding all that?

Here is mine:

So I fished off and on while I was younger. My dad would take me to stocked private farms when I was younger but I really didn't get into fishing until the most recent years.

I think it was either late 2009 or early 2010 when I started getting back into it. I started out spinner fishing and trying to figure things out. I had stopped rock climbing due to getting married, career change, and having kids. But I needed something that would "force" me to get outside and enjoy what I enjoy: the outdoors. So fishing was my supposed answer. :think:

Anywho, I bought probably about $300+ of spinner gear (hardware, boxes, clothing, lures, etc.). But for about almost a year, I couldn't get a single fish!! I think the only fish that I got was one small blue gill. But that little blue gill kept the fire of desire (for fishing) burning and the skunk off for at least that day. hahahahahaha

But after several more months of spinner fishing and not getting anything, I decided to get into fly fishing. And I haven't looked back since!!! :dance:

I think that in the 1.5 - (almost) 2 years that I have been strictly fly fishing, I might, maybe, possibly, can't really truly recall, had maybe 1 time/day of being skunked. Other than that, every time I have gone out, I have done pretty well. :D Thus, i have not looked back and stuck to fly fishing.

It felt so good to finally catch something, and on the fly none-the-less, after about 1 year of catching nothing!!!

So my longest time I have been skunked: 1 - 1.5 years.

What got rid of the skunk was switching to fly fishing. Even though I caught one blue gill here and one blue gill there on my spinner gear, I didn't really consider the skunk gone until I was proficient at catching (notice I said catching and not fishing, hehehehehe :dance:)

What about you all? How long were you skunked for?

-Spydey

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
C
Combat Chuck
The one that I can think of was for salmon/steelhead. That drought lasted 2 years and I finally cashed in last fall and winter. A skunk on all species... one or two trips??? :lol:

B
bran_man
Not too sure on the skunk, but last year was my longest losing streak on summer steel. Lost 12 in a row in a 2 or 3 week period. Was getting too excited and horsing too much. Finally started to calm down and play them out amd stopped the skunk and started slaying ha ha

C
ColoradoTroutMan
I caught one trout over the course of two years until this season when I went to Hagg earlier this year and have been catching fish every trip since then.

S
Spydeyrch
ColoradoTroutMan said:
I caught one trout over the course of two years until this season when I went to Hagg earlier this year and have been catching fish every trip since then.

It sure feels good don't it!!! Especially after waiting for such a long time. Sure makes that wait worth it! :D

-Spydey

T
Throbbit _Shane
Winter Steelhead fishing from the bank last year I went many days in a row with out even touching a fish. I went many times a week since the spot i fished was only 7 miles from my house. Getting skunked for salmon and steelhead is no big deal for me. But Trout and Bass it can get kinda frustrating lol. but thats why i bring beer! I can atleast catch a buzz :D

N
neverbackdown7
Currently longest skunk is since February for steelhead and I've never landed a salmon. But trout keep me going!

N
nativefish
3 years springer fishing on the clackamas, even after going to rivermill 5+ times. can't get it done.... lol steelhead though, got one the last time i was out.

T
tomriker
The last time I didn't catch a fish ehile out...Oh probably 3 years

madasahab
madasahab
Spydeyrch said:
Ok, so to make a fun topic to discuss:

What is the longest skunk you have ever had? As in how long had you ever been skunked before you got a fish. (Having not fished for X years does not count as being skunked. :lol: You have to have been actively fishing to be considered skunked :))

What finally got rid of the skunk? (i.e. location, technique, season of the year, fish type, etc.)

Any story surrounding all that?

Here is mine:

So I fished off and on while I was younger. My dad would take me to stocked private farms when I was younger but I really didn't get into fishing until the most recent years.

I think it was either late 2009 or early 2010 when I started getting back into it. I started out spinner fishing and trying to figure things out. I had stopped rock climbing due to getting married, career change, and having kids. But I needed something that would "force" me to get outside and enjoy what I enjoy: the outdoors. So fishing was my supposed answer. :think:

Anywho, I bought probably about $300+ of spinner gear (hardware, boxes, clothing, lures, etc.). But for about almost a year, I couldn't get a single fish!! I think the only fish that I got was one small blue gill. But that little blue gill kept the fire of desire (for fishing) burning and the skunk off for at least that day. hahahahahaha

But after several more months of spinner fishing and not getting anything, I decided to get into fly fishing. And I haven't looked back since!!! :dance:

I think that in the 1.5 - (almost) 2 years that I have been strictly fly fishing, I might, maybe, possibly, can't really truly recall, had maybe 1 time/day of being skunked. Other than that, every time I have gone out, I have done pretty well. :D Thus, i have not looked back and stuck to fly fishing.

It felt so good to finally catch something, and on the fly none-the-less, after about 1 year of catching nothing!!!

So my longest time I have been skunked: 1 - 1.5 years.

What got rid of the skunk was switching to fly fishing. Even though I caught one blue gill here and one blue gill there on my spinner gear, I didn't really consider the skunk gone until I was proficient at catching (notice I said catching and not fishing, hehehehehe :dance:)

What about you all? How long were you skunked for?

-Spydey
. I am currently covered with skunk funk...no fish since April less one hooked and lost...almost feel like hanging up the waders...

E
eggs
Longest skunk I ever had measured 31.5" from nose to tip of the tail down the stripe.

C
cowboysfan
2 years ago i went all season long with prolly only 10 fish total (trout fishing) My wife got tired of hearing me complain about my pat mcmannus luck. my fishing partners would be right beside me doing the same exact thing i was and they would be slayin them. I did not do any thing different just rode the bad season out.

I
idahojeff
26 trips for steelies last summer to fall. Worst few months of my life! Haha! But seriously, it was. Went 4 for 7 in two trips...3 of them natives...very cool. Makes it more special! Worst skunk streak of my 25 years fishing!

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Spydeyrch said:
It sure feels good don't it!!! Especially after waiting for such a long time. Sure makes that wait worth it! :D

-Spydey

Yes it does seeing as not only is the skunk gone but I caught my biggest Oregon Bow this year as well. Hoping to top that with the 3rd annual Trillium trip this year. :D

S
sportsmanlio
I've been trying to catch a carp since the summer I graduated high school. I think I just passed the four-year-mark, and still have no rubber-lipped monsters to show for it.

Most irritating skunks?

1) A few years back I spent a week in Seal Beach, CA, right next to the Navy base. I fished off the pier every day and night for hours, sleeping less than 5 hours each night and fishing hard. On the last night I was there, I managed to catch a 6" Walleye Surfperch.

2) The year after that, I took a charter out of the San Rafael area in the north end of the San Francisco Bay. It was a private charter, so just the captain/guide, two friends, and me. We were supposed to get stripers and sturgeon. One buddy got a 15 pound Bat Ray and a 10 pound striper. The other caught a Starry Flounder. I caught nothing. Waste of $200.

D
dtikey
longest steelhead skunk for me was 2 years that I did not hook and land my own steelies.I was 10-12 years old at the time then my grandpa and I went up camp creek just below powerhouse and was throwing shrimp and he said just use the tail and fish on and landed then probally 20 minutes later got another and those were also my first two steelies on my own.Was catching trout salmon bass and other fish but not the wiery steelies and has become a sicking addiction now for the last 24 years that I have been at it.Was handed off steelhead by stepdad uncle and grampa during that time but just not the same.

N
ninja2010
captain skunkage here has yet to hook and land a steelhead since fishing for them upon moving to oregon in 2006...

i know, it's sad. but i'll never give up...

Reactions: JeannaJigs
R
rippin fish lips
My Longest steelhead skunking was 2 years exactly. The trout... usually catch em every trip, with a few trips with nothing at all. This year i havent touched a steelhead since June 1st and lost about 6 since then.