Long Tom

T
troutjunkie88
Anyone fished the crappie run on the long tom river? Heard there are possibly some nice cutts in there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
N
nwkiller
pretty mush if you go down on the right day you wont beable to keep them off your hook, others they are like ghosts, plenty of cuts in there

T
troutjunkie88
any good bank oppurtunity besides right below the dam?

N
nwkiller
well u can walk the trail past kirk park, tons more bank spots down there

troutdude
troutdude
X 2. Sometimes it's REALLY hot for the slabs. And the cutts are plentiful too.

Some of the private land owners, will allow access. I've known a lady for over 35 years, that still let's me onto her land. So, it wouldn't hurt to stop and ask permission when you see a good spot.

P.S. If you don't already do this--be sure to leave things the way that find them when on someone else's land. (if a gate is open, leave it open, etc).

F
Finneus Polebender
Access to the tom all over from the dam on through JC google it can get in just about anywhere a road intersects the crappie can be like pirahna after the spawn in summer catch 100s of baby bass. there are big ones too. most of the cuts Ive found are in the movin parts some nice ones hidin in there fished it often in my youth. Keep sayin im gonna pontoon drift a stretch on it loaded for everything one day.It is very close for us.

N
nwkiller
just heard from a friend, he caught a handful of nice cuts yesterday

T
troutjunkie88
awesome, thanks for the replies guys. ill be out there this week sometime, let you guys know how it goes.

T
troutjunkie88
Went out to long tom yesterday with a friend, two trout poles and a handful of spinners and crappie jigs. Weather was a bit nasty. Upon arrival we say a guy on the other side of the river hook up with a large largemouth on his first cast with some sort of lure. He was casting parallel to the bank on a faster type retrieve because those rocks are pretty easy to get hung up on. had to leave within 10 minutes, my friend was not havin fun in the wet and cold. Going back today, let you know how it goes

troutdude
troutdude
Hey junkie, just wondering what part of the river you went to (if you don't mind telling that is).

F
Finneus Polebender
Told ya there be the bucketmouths nice ! Only ever caught 1 but there are smallies in the dam hole too! We nicknamed it the wonder hole cause you always were wonderin what ya might catch next .

Last edited:
T
troutjunkie88
parked next to the restrooms in the parking lot at kirk pond across the road from the dam. walked down the dirt road past just a few yards. the guy was on the other side, looked like a better side for the bass

F
Finneus Polebender
troutjunkie88 said:
parked next to the restrooms in the parking lot at kirk pond across the road from the dam. walked down the dirt road past just a few yards. the guy was on the other side, looked like a better side for the bass

There is a road that runs for a long ways down that side of the river .Very popular for many species . That is a good way to explore that first stretch.See tons of people catfish that stretch from that side the park gate shuts at night.>they are actually bullhead but everyone calls them catfish here.

F
Finneus Polebender
Am off tomorrow may end up out that way in the pursuit , think I will Give the ol Tom a Quick drift as part of the days escapades hope the weather turns out better.Prob be later in the day by the itinerary as it stands now. all subject to change am gonna hit a couple other spots that are closer first depends on how they treat us ,no way I will leave biting Bigmouth type feeshez to go some where else.

N
nwkiller
Finneus Polebender said:
Told ya there be the bucketmouths nice ! Only ever caught 1 but there are smallies in the dam hole too! We nicknamed it the wonder hole cause you always were wonderin what ya might catch next .

when you say smallies do u mean small mouth.....cause there is no smallies in fern ditch, and a its a bull head catfish, so"everyone that calls them catfish" are correct? feed me soe info cause if your right im bafold cause ive been thinkin diffrent......no offence on this

T
the_intimidator03
well they would be refering to the long tom at the base of the dam @ fern ditch. so small mouth are possible.

N
nwkiller
ya i know where they are talking i fish there at least once a week.......fished there for over ten years....never had a smallie, but it does run to the willy, so maaaayyyyybbbbeeee!

T
TTFishon
I know FP's talkin about smallmouth. A guy I work with catches smallies in the Long Tom near Monroe

N
nwkiller
man im gonna have to try to target them....

N
nwkiller
went by the damn today (head of the long tom) had to kill some time for work. dam was open and raging pretty hard, threw in corn for a while got some good bites, switched to a worm, caught 2 12" cutthroats (released) one larger carp around 3 pounds, then one tiny one, under pound...then i got snagged up but came loose and pulled in someone elses rig that they had broken off of that had a cat fish on it..lol......stared to rain on us so we walked over to kirk pond where the dock by the parking lot is.......some one had left a carp on the bank.."thanks" it smelled.......threw in corn and worms had some descent bites but got nothing....seen abunch rolling!!!! rain picked up and work time came....