Long lining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B
Bfishin
Anyone familiar with the term Long Lining? Dudes I know use that style for steelhead/salmon at the Dexter Dam. They use the longest leader they can cast. Usually around 10'. With a corkie. I guess it just lines them in the mouth. Seems to be pretty effective. Apparently you're just getting lucky to line one in the mouth? Anyone else fish like this?

Reactions: RiverSideKid
F
Fishtopher
ITS NOT FISHING. Its unethical, borderline illegal.

ITS NOT FISHING. Its unethical, borderline illegal.

This is called flossing. Sometimes the angler...woops...flosser gets lucky and sets the hook in the mouth, but most often they hook the head or somewhere near the dorsal. Just another form of snagging fish in my opinion. See it a lot up here during Coho season. There is no real fishing involved. I bet you here a lot of guys hollering;
"ITS IN THE MOUTH!"
huh? As far as I know the only fish legal to snag are carp. If you see people snagging fish you should call the tip line on the back of your fishing license and report anything unethical/illegal. Good ju-ju.

A
ArcticAmoeba
This is technically a "snag" rig in Oregon, it is illegal and un-ethical. To retain game fish legally in the state, the fish must be hooked from within the mouth. It is sad people are resorting to snaging Steelhead as they are the eaiest fish to get to bite in our rivers. How you fish is your porogative, but to retain fish they must be hooked from the inside, out.

Reactions: FishSlayer420
C
chris61182
I'd like to add that long lining can also refer to a technique used for lake trolling, where you let out 100+yds of line behind the boat usually with out weights while trolling. Just so that you don't jump on someone unknowingly for a completely different and acceptable method:).

I
I Grade
Yeah.... anything that takes the 'sport' out of fishing.... like snagging fish... is totally lame and should be reported. If you can't learn to fish for them properly then TOO BAD. If you aren't a Native American then you have NO RIGHT to snag or net fish. The reason that we are forced to abide by such strict rules already is because of people like that. Learn to fish properly with appropriate gear and you will be a better person for it. Don't follow their rather BAD example.

Also....it is clear that he is NOT describing the trolling long lining method from his description in the OP.

Last edited:
O
osmosis
a 10 ft leader and a corkie is something you should be calling the oregon state police about.

M
metalmania
I can't belive people can bring themselves to purposefully snag fish. These worthless peices of $*&% are raping the very thing we all love so much:mad:. And the amazing thing is I legally hook more fish in a day than them. Ya turn them in if you see them. I'll stop now before I get really pissed and stop bleeping out the bad words.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Alright...Yup... Lets chill out, step back a minute. We all have ideas as to what it is used for. It appears the poster is fairly new to Steelheadin? Well, there is plenty of feed back on it now. Lets not get this all out of hand. It isn't even October yet guys/gals!;):lol: Just keep it reasonable everyone.

S
SNDSLGR
As stated what the OP asked about is flossing and is BS.

To me, long lining while drift fishing occurs when a bank is crowded with fisherman-- someone in an up-river position will open the bail on his reel as "his portion" of the drift ends so that he can drift through the next guys territory... something like that anyways.

I can't stand combat fishing so I am not really exposed to it much.

M
Mike123
"It's in the mouth!"

Hahaha... hilarious.. I hear this all the time in my neck o' the woods.
Good thing I get cell service. :D 1-800-452-7888 ;)

The bad thing is though on some rivers there's no leader length restriction.
And it's hard to turn some one in who's flossing... Unless the game warden see's you setting the hook every 5 seconds and pulling in a fish tail first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishtopher
M
mgdguy
ArcticAmoeba said:
as they are the eaiest fish to get to bite in our rivers

I have a skunky season that would beg to differ ;) lol

A
ArcticAmoeba
I hear that a lot. I beg to differ with you! Haha!:lol: I'm just joshin ya man! Sorry. But there are definitely efficient, and effective ways to go about it, first one is fishing water where the fish are going to be. That is most peoples problem that I see, but it could be a lot of reasons. Runs are very small, so it is not like it used to be, for sure. But adaptive fishing is the only way to stay on top of what will work. And it can change with the smallest variant in weather, water, anything. Hope you have better luck as the season progresses man.

M
mgdguy
I hear ya AA. I have patience, and am still learning. This is only the beginning of my 2nd year steelheading! And before that I hadn't fished at ALL in almost 10 years. And 10 years ago I had a lot more time and freedom to fish :rolleyes: I'm at the bottom of the learning curve all over again.

But I'm determined... :D

A
ArcticAmoeba
Thats all you need. A good attitude, and some determination. You will start flattening the curve with rod hours, and river time. as they increase, so will catch rates. Glad to hear you are getting back into it after a long hiatus!

M
mgdguy
ok I have a question about this 'long lining'. I understand the snagging problem, and it disgusts me. My question is...how is what the OP described different than say, tying a spoon onto your main mono line and drifting? I mean wouldn't a steelhead hit a corkie and hook? Is it the lack of weight that makes it assumed these people are 'snagging' instead if fishing?

M
Mike123
mgdguy said:
ok I have a question about this 'long lining'. I understand the snagging problem, and it disgusts me. My question is...how is what the OP described different than say, tying a spoon onto your main mono line and drifting? I mean wouldn't a steelhead hit a corkie and hook? Is it the lack of weight that makes it assumed these people are 'snagging' instead if fishing?

Kinda hard to floss(impossible) with a spoon.
The idea of flossing is to get your line parallel with the fish's mouth so the line goes through their mouth, then when you feel this you set the hook really hard and the hook and corkie slide down into the fish's mouth/head area.
You can't do that(floss) with a spoon or spinner.

M
mgdguy
Mike123 said:
Kinda hard to floss(impossible) with a spoon.
The idea of flossing is to get your line parallel with the fish's mouth so the line goes through their mouth, then when you feel this you set the hook really hard and the hook and corkie slide down into the fish's mouth/head area.
You can't do that(floss) with a spoon or spinner.

NOW I get it. Thanks for defining it clearly Mike.

So IS that what you were referring to Bfishin?

B
Bfishin
Come on , I know that you have to hook a fish in the mouth for it to be legal. And that letting 100 foot of leader behind your boat without a downrigger is actually called "flat lining" not long lining. It just sounds like a lot of guys got pretty ate up over the "long lining" technique. I've never seen any of the guys down there keep a foul hooked fish. I'd say most of the fish hooked are in the mouth anyway. The rig is your standard corkie drift with the proper amount of wieght, but with an extra long leader. So is the extra long leader the advantage or am I missing something? I don't know what the maximum allowed leader length on the Willamette is. you?

F
Fishtopher
Steelhead are just a sea runnin Rainbow. A friggin Trout. :doh:I didn't know people flossed Trout.

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
You are missing something if you are thinking the extra long leader is an advantage. I run 18- 20 inch leaders for a very good reason. And I will hook far more fish beacuse of it. When a fish grabs your offering, even for a second, when you have a short leader, the split shot will swing past the fishes head, and tap against its flanks, effectively pinning the hook, and giving you a half second of extra time to react, and set the hook proper. Good luck drift fishing a reasonable presentation that the fish will take with 10 foot leaders. No way to control the orientation of your weights, and whatever you decided to throw at them. Get down to this hole before anyone can molest it, and hit it with standard drift gear. I guarantee you will hook fish on two number 7, or number 5 split shot, and an 18" leader with a simple, peach yarnie, on #4 Owner needle points. No corkie needed. Corkies are only there to provide folatation to bait, or large hooks. And if you are using anythig bigger than a size 2 for small stream Steelhead, it is not going to be nearly as effective as running 4's, or 6's.

Status
Not open for further replies.