Long casting rod

L
lurkingfisher
Hey guys, been lurking around the forum without an account for the last 2 months or so. Finally decided to make an account a few days ago.
Glad to finally be part of the community!

Went fishing yesterday and seen this guy casting so far! I've never seen someone cast that far before. It was reaching about 1/4 across the pond.
I don't know how big the pond is or about how far he was casting but everyone there was casting about 1/4 of how far he was casting.

I was going to ask him what rod he was using but when I tried to make conversation he ignored me ?

The rod wasn't that long but when he'd cast(overhand) the rod would bend about halfway down/center point of the rod.
So now here I am asking, what kind of rod could he have been using?

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF. Glad to have you on board <pun intended...lol>.

He could've been using a fiberglass rod. I grew up with only glass rods; and still use them to this day. Which has been for nearly 60 years now. I love them; and have almost no love for graphite.

Also if he was using typical mono-filament line. He may have pre-stretched the line, prior to heading out to the pond. Which is what I typically do too. Mono-filament has a "memory" to it. Sort of like elastic does. So when it sits on a reel--especially for any extended period of time. It will come OFF of the reel in coils. Which is counter productive to long casting distances. But if you stretch the line before you cast it, it will fly OFF of the reel with ease.

Good luck and tight lines.

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Flexing that far down it was probably a medium action rod. I agree it was probably also a fiberglass rod. He might also have been using braided line as it doesn’t have memory. Weight of the lure also affects casting distance. A reel with a larger diameter spool such as a 30 size will increase casting distance. Lastly, he probably also had really good form/technique.

H
hookturn
lurkingfisher said:
Hey guys, been lurking around the forum without an account for the last 2 months or so. Finally decided to make an account a few days ago.
Glad to finally be part of the community!

Went fishing yesterday and seen this guy casting so far! I've never seen someone cast that far before. It was reaching about 1/4 across the pond.
I don't know how big the pond is or about how far he was casting but everyone there was casting about 1/4 of how far he was casting.

I was going to ask him what rod he was using but when I tried to make conversation he ignored me ?

The rod wasn't that long but when he'd cast(overhand) the rod would bend about halfway down/center point of the rod.
So now here I am asking, what kind of rod could he have been using?

I use a 10'6" Lamiglas X11 rod. I have another 10'6 rod but it's a Buzz Ramsey series by Berkely. Both are great rods, not too expensive and you can really get your gear out there with them. It depends on the reel and the weight. A spinning reel will not cast nearly as far as a bait caster also called a level wind. There are different rods for each type of reel.

H
hookturn
I have two rods that are very far casters. They are both 10'6" rods, One a Lamiglas X11 and the other a Berkely Buzz Ramsey series.
One is for a spinning reel the other for a baitcaster reel. The baitcaster gets much farther than the spinning reel, probably twice as far.

Casting Call
Casting Call
30lb mono will not cast as far as 17lb mono. I agree with a comb. of comments given. Welcome aboard. Tony

Reactions: troutdude
L
lurkingfisher
troutdude said:
He could've been using a fiberglass rod. I grew up with only glass rods; and still use them to this day. Which has been for nearly 60 years now. I love them; and have almost no love for graphite.
fromthelogo said:
Flexing that far down it was probably a medium action rod. I agree it was probably also a fiberglass rod.
I will definitely have to look into fiberglass rods. What size would you guys recommend?
troutdude said:
Also if he was using typical mono-filament line. He may have pre-stretched the line, prior to heading out to the pond. Which is what I typically do too. Mono-filament has a "memory" to it. Sort of like elastic does. So when it sits on a reel--especially for any extended period of time. It will come OFF of the reel in coils. Which is counter productive to long casting distances. But if you stretch the line before you cast it, it will fly OFF of the reel with ease.
First time hearing about this useful information, is this how you pre-stretch?:
fromthelogo said:
Lastly, he probably also had really good form/technique.
The way he was casting was like a overhand cast whip, made it look effortless.
hookturn said:
I use a 10'6" Lamiglas X11 rod. I have another 10'6 rod but it's a Buzz Ramsey series by Berkely. Both are great rods, not too expensive and you can really get your gear out there with them. It depends on the reel and the weight. A spinning reel will not cast nearly as far as a bait caster also called a level wind. There are different rods for each type of reel.
hookturn said:
I have two rods that are very far casters. They are both 10'6" rods, One a Lamiglas X11 and the other a Berkely Buzz Ramsey series.
One is for a spinning reel the other for a baitcaster reel. The baitcaster gets much farther than the spinning reel, probably twice as far.
Appreciate the recommendation, I'll check them out.

Thank you for the help and the warm welcoming fellas!

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome. Yes that video shows my basic technique. Plus I'll hold it for a while, with tension, as well. Then keep the rod tip bent, with light tension on the line, as I reel the line back onto the reel. As I walk back towards the tree.

The amount of line on your spool is also a huge factor. If you're spool is only half full of line, or less, you need to add more line. Each spool should show the maximum number of yards, per line size, to fill up the spool.

I'd be interested to see the "overhand" cast that you speak of. Most overhand casters do not cast very far at all. I've always used more of a side arm cast (with "open faced" spinning reels in particular).

The comment above boggles my mind: "A spinning reel will not cast nearly as far as a bait caster also called a level wind." I have never seen that to be true. As you don't really cast a bait cast reel, for long distances. As they will create huge spider nests of tangled up line. My experience has always been the reverse; of that comment. But maybe I'm misinterpreting something there?

Reactions: Casting Call
troutdude
troutdude
The size of the fiberglass, or any rod, depends upon they type of fishing that you are doing. So we need to know that. In order to make recommendations.

Casting Call
Casting Call
A lot of factors come into play: line size, weight used, rod length, loading of the rod with whatever style you use. Lurk you will not find the answer here. Just go out and experiment. Every time you find a improvement in your casting. Ask yourself "what if". Tony

Bake
Bake
In one word "Alvey"!!! I have a 500, and one of their shorter rods. GEE!!

Last edited:
L
lurkingfisher
Sorry for being so vague with my previous reply!

Went out to Sportsman's Warehouse and tried a few rods, think I might of found the perfect one for me :D
Going to Cabela's this weekend to check out a few more and see which I like best from both stores.

I do feel the difference in quality with fiberglass rods and graphite rods, thank you for leading me the right way!
hookturn said:
I use a 10'6" Lamiglas X11 rod
I seen this one but it was 7'~ and it felt great.

Thanks for all the help fellas, been real helpful.