Livingston Boats

N
n8r1
Hi--I was wondering if anybody has any experience with a Livingston Boat?

Specifically, I'm looking at a 9 foot Livingston fiberglass. 90% of the time it would be just me in the boat, and I'm hoping that I can haul it around on the roof rack of my SUV. So obviously I'm hoping it wouldn't be too heavy and I can manage it myself.

Ideally I would store it at our place in Seaside and use it on the estuary to fish and crab. Do you think it could handle that even if it was windy and the water got choppy?

Any advice or input, especially from those who have owned or currently own one of these is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

J
joesnuffy
somebody was selling a Zodiak in the "Sell" section of the forum. Would somethink like that work?

I don't have any info on the Livington boats, sorry.

T
TTFishon
My buddy has a Livingston. I think it's an 8 footer or it might be 9' not sure. Anyway, he loads it up onto his truck by himself without any problems and I was with him once when we went across the Willamette in some fairly choppy current. Maybe he'll see this post or you can send him a pm. His screen name's Finneus polebender.

N
n8r1
Thanks TTFishon! I just sent Finneus Polebender a PM.

Joe Snuffy--I've looked at Zodiacs as well. Also some small aluminum dinghys. I've heard good things about the Livingstons, and think that may be the way to go, especially with my limited storage space.

S
steelhead1
When I worked as a rigging diver for a marina building company,we had a 9' livingston as a transport boat.They are incredibly stable ,and can handle a lot of weight.IMO:D

T
Thuggin4Life
If you get a small aluminum boat i have a car topper loader for sale

T
Thuggin4Life
there is a small livingston on eugene craigslist that is on a trailer and has a small outboard for a pretty decent price. seen it last night.

N
n8r1
So this last weekend I went up to Seattle to visit a friend who lives on the Sound, and his neighbor had a Livingston 7 foot boat that he didn't want anymore.

Mind you, this boat is a real piece of cr@p. When I first saw it, it was full of rainwater and algae, and completely disgusting. But we dumped the water out of it and took it out on the Sound and it has no leaks, and holds my buddy and I afloat just fine (combined weight of about 450 lbs). The fact that it looks so rough may be a blessing: it will be less likely to get stolen.

Also good is that I'm able to pick it up and carry it around myself if needed. It also fits in the back of my SUV.

I'm going to pressure wash the entire thing, inside and out, and fill in some of the chips in the fiberglass. Then I'll start looking for a small motor to put on it.

So now all I need is a couple oars, new oarlocks, motor, life jackets, ect.

N
n8r1
So on that same note--does anybody have any motor suggestions for a 7.5 foot Livingston? The website says it will handle a 5 HP engine tops.

T
Thuggin4Life
Get a 9.9 then and keep some weight in the bow. good luck with your new toy.

T
the_intimidator03
lmao sorry i just had to say... thats andy for ya. when in doubt go bigger lol

N
n8r1
Cool, thanks. I've been searching Craigslist for a decent-priced trolling motor. Trying to decide between an electric and a 2-stroke.

Thuggin4Life said:
Get a 9.9 then and keep some weight in the bow. good luck with your new toy.

T
Thuggin4Life
Get a 2 stroke. you will be able to get to where you want to go. no sense using an electric for 2 hours just to get to the fishing hole. but then get an electric for small bodies of water were you plan on just casting from the boat. even geep both on the boat so you have a back up for an emergency situation.

F
Finneus Polebender
What he said good idea!

Q
qwapaw
Andy forgot to tell you to chain the motor to your boat real well so you don't loose it. Sorry Andy, I had to say that. Your Pal, Dan

T
the_intimidator03
qwapaw... i wasn't gonna say it... so you did LOL

N
n8r1
qwapaw said:
Andy forgot to tell you to chain the motor to your boat real well so you don't loose it. Sorry Andy, I had to say that. Your Pal, Dan

Hmmm...I must be missing something. I take it that somebody lost a motor? If so, that stinks.

By the way, I have my eye on a 2HP 4-stroke motor. It only weighs 27 lbs, so I can easily carry it around and detach it when necessary (the 5HP weighs 62 lbs without gas)