Live bait shops near Hillsboro

PhoFish
PhoFish
Good morning OFF. As I am driving around to all these rivers/lakes - the one thing I am noticing is a lack of live bait shops. Is this really the case or are they all well hidden? I know by most major lakes in MN there were always dozens of bait shops.. Mainly I am looking for crawlers, minnows, or worms.

I am looking for something close to Hillsboro. Sorry if their locations are obvious - I am just not finding anything close by using google and the forums.

Reactions: Raincatcher
Solution
rogerdodger
other than worms, not much live bait allowed in Oregon, except in the ocean/tidewater/bays. and in most streams, no bait at all allowed, check the exceptions for specific steams to see if it is.

BiMart is going to have worms, sand shrimp, lots of frozen stuff (squid, herring, anchovy). but worms will I think be the only live thing in their bait fridge.

------------------------------------

Use of Fish for Bait​

Dead fish, preserved fish, parts of fish and shellfish, and fish eggs may be used as bait.

The following may NOT be used as bait:
  • Live fish. Except live nongame fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when taken from the same waters in which they will be used as bait.
  • Goldfish. Nor can they be...
G
Gulfstream
Bi Mart should have worms and crawlers

Reactions: PhoFish
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
other than worms, not much live bait allowed in Oregon, except in the ocean/tidewater/bays. and in most streams, no bait at all allowed, check the exceptions for specific steams to see if it is.

BiMart is going to have worms, sand shrimp, lots of frozen stuff (squid, herring, anchovy). but worms will I think be the only live thing in their bait fridge.

------------------------------------

Use of Fish for Bait​

Dead fish, preserved fish, parts of fish and shellfish, and fish eggs may be used as bait.

The following may NOT be used as bait:
  • Live fish. Except live nongame fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when taken from the same waters in which they will be used as bait.
  • Goldfish. Nor can they be in an angler’s possession while angling.
  • Lamprey.
  • Live crayfish.
  • Live leeches. Nor can they be in an angler’s possession while angling.
It is unlawful to: transport live fish into, within, or out of this state; hold any live fish in the waters of this state; or release or attempt to release any live fish into the waters of this state, except as provided by OAR 635-007-0600(3)(a) for aquaria fish intended for aquaria use and those holding a valid Fish Transport Permit.
-------------------------------------

http://www.eregulations.com/oregon/fishing/general-statewide-regulations/

Reactions: WaveCrawler, Raincatcher, troutdude and 1 other person
Solution
PhoFish
PhoFish
Its been a few weeks since I read the regulations... Thank you for putting this section of the regulations into perspective for an Oregon Newbie. Don't know why, but when I read this I didn't think of minnows as live fish, pretty dumb lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Markk and rogerdodger
troutdude
troutdude
Good lookin' out @rogerdodger! The use of live bait has effed up some of our favorite lakes. Some of them more than once.
:mad:

troutdude
troutdude
P.S. @PhoFish THANK YOU for asking BEFORE you actually used live bait!

PhoFish
PhoFish
You know... I was not going to ask.. I felt kind of stupid.. I mulled asking for over a week and just fished eggs and spinners. SOOO glad I did now! Just so used to seeing a row of aerators filled with fatheads, shiners, and sucker minnows... at a bait shop! Welcome to Oregon!

Bi-Mart did have everything I wanted - I have never seen so much frozen bait in my life... quite a surprise to see all the stuff.

Reactions: bass and rogerdodger
bass
bass
I know what you mean I grew up in PA and then lived in NC for a while. When I first moved out here I was confused and frustrated by the strange rules and limitations. The good news is that eventually you get used to them and they seem normal :)

WaveCrawler
WaveCrawler
I fully agree with rodgerdodger. I would like to add a word about crayfish... It is legal to fish with them only if you catch them from the body of water you are fishing. As always, check the regs for crayfish... Some streams and lakes are closed to their harvest.

Reactions: Admin
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
WaveCrawler said:
I fully agree with rodgerdodger. I would like to add a word about crayfish... It is legal to fish with them only if you catch them from the body of water you are fishing. As always, check the regs for crayfish... Some streams and lakes are closed to their harvest.
not sure I understand your comment. Live crayfish CANNOT be used for bait anywhere in Oregon.

Dead and/or preserved crayfish, whole or parts, from anywhere, can be used anywhere.

Snake River
Snake River
rogerdodger said:
not sure I understand your comment. Live crayfish CANNOT be used for bait anywhere in Oregon.

Dead and/or preserved crayfish, whole or parts, from anywhere, can be used anywhere.
When you use the crawfish you’re going to drowned them so they’ll be dead:ROFLMAO:

PhoFish
PhoFish
Ok, so I figured out a better form of this question - where do they sell nightcrawlers at around 6am on the weekdays? Does anyone know of a gas station or some kind of stop? Looking in Northwest region.. Hillsboro area to coastal area thank you for your help!

S
Snopro
PhoFish said:
- where do they sell nightcrawlers at around 6am on the weekdays?
Fred Meyer opens a 6am.

I'd buy the day before from bimart or sportsmans and overnight them in the fridge. One less stop in the morning to make when you're rushing to the fishing hole.

Reactions: Admin
DOKF
DOKF
PhoFish said:
Ok, so I figured out a better form of this question - where do they sell nightcrawlers at around 6am on the weekdays? Does anyone know of a gas station or some kind of stop? Looking in Northwest region.. Hillsboro area to coastal area thank you for your help!
I "fish" worms out of my compost bin the night before, or just before leaving. Maggots were the bait of choice when I fished the Kootenays, but growing them was not a pleasant idea. There are several power bait facsimiles available.

But, I have adjusted to bare lures and flyfishing for the challenge. Used to use live bait for tuna off Baja; it was interesting, but I did feel bad when I began to recognise the subtle movement changes of the free swimming bait just before a strike. As the little guy tried to frantically swim away ..

Read up on the history of Diamond Lake for a good idea of why live bait fish are a bad idea for fresh waters on this side of the Rockies.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/st...-lake-sparks-new-eradication-effort/79303284/
https://kval.com/outdoors/state-plans-to-poison-oregon-lake
Goldfish and carp are a nuisance in many Oregon ponds, although carp fishing can be fun. Guess where they come from.