Little Hyatt Reservior

Irishrover
Irishrover
Here is a nice getway place to fish and hunt ducks (if you like wiggions). I found this spot back in 1969 when I was going to school at Southern Oregon. It's not far from the big lakes "Howard Prairie" and "Hyatt Reservior" where most folks would go. The lake is small less than 10 or so acres. It sits at about 4600 feet elevation. The best fishing is on the west side by the tree line. There is a foot bridge across the creek below the dam that will take you to the trail that leads to the tree line. We used to fish salmmon eggs (Potski's) , or toss small spinners and seemed to have the best luck from that spot. The catch was mostly rainbows.

In the evening we would move to the north end of the lake with the trout rod replaced by shotguns. The wiggions would wing in low and if we were lucky we would have duck for dinner. ;)

I have returned to that spot a few times over the last 42 years and it has not changed a bit. The lake did sport a few more weedy patched on the east bank but that was about it. If you like duck hunting with your trout fishing it a good spot to try.

To get there head east on the Green Spring Hwy (Hwy 66) out of Ashland or west out of Klamath. Close to the Keene Cr Reservior on the noth side of the hwy is a gravel/dirt road (Hyatt-Prairie Rd). Follow it north and it will lead to Little Hyatt. ( the road can get ruff and muddy at times)

Historical note: The Green Springs hwy is part of the Old Applegate Trail established by Jesse and Lindsey Applegate in the 1840s

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Nice post. Sounds like a great spot.

However, I have a book that says it's only 10 acres in size and not 100. Was one of your zero's a typo?

Irishrover
Irishrover
troutdude said:
Nice post. Sounds like a great spot.

However, I have a book that says it's only 10 acres in size and not 100. Was one of your zero's a typo?

Yep but the question is which one????? I'll edit one of them out. I know the place is small enough to yell accross to the other side. Thanks.

T
Throbbit _Shane
ill try to get to little hyatt this year in april/may. ill take some pics and maybe catch some fish :D

Thanks for the post Irishrover!

D
durantmatt
I thought they took out Little Hyatt Lake two years ago?

Irishrover
Irishrover
I thought they came up with the money to repare the dam. I know they drained it but some private money matched with federal dollars was suppose to fix it. Be a shame if it was lost.

S
sportsmanlio
I was just there this year, and it is still there. The reservoir is about 10 acres, not 100, but it does have some nice fish in it. Gorgeous year-round. As for ducks, there are always mallards late in the winter when I am turkey hunting over there.