Lips and Tails...carp on the fly

J
john montana
Lips.

0bfe98b7.png

Tails.

e9bbf0bd.png

Despite the water being too cold, too high, and too muddy...I still managed to catch a bunch of carp today. I think the carp are as ready for some warm water as I am! I landed 18 fish total with 5 of them over 15 lbs (15,16,16,17 and 17). The trick was sneaking right up on top of the fish and then dropping the two fly rig so that one fly sank to either side of the fish's head. Even in the murk I could usually tell when they would turn to the side so if I could get close enough I was able to spot the take.

Great to finally see my backing!
3860a82b.png
ffc0740e.png

Reactions: Markcanby and BobbiDollPDX
M
Markcanby
Man I got to get out after those thing with you sometime. I got some Olive Crystal Buggers I think they will love.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Markcanby said:
Man I got to get out after those thing with you sometime. I got some Olive Crystal Buggers I think they will love.

uh..don't let jim see that post. :lol: and nice carp dude. i see they took the green nymph again. job well done :clap:

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
There was no graphic image warning:shock::confused::(

Gunga
Gunga
Man how are you so good at carp fishing. Ive been carp fishing 6 times with barley a nibble. Ive been doing everything my uncle has told me to do but nothing do far. ive tried 3 differnt rigs and differnt baits. Do you have any tips for a begginer to carp fishing? any info will be appreciated.

J
john montana
keep listening to your uncle Tyler...truthfully, i have absolutely no idea how to consistently catch carp with bait. i've never really tried, just caught a few small ones with corn with my kids. I sight fish for them with a flyrod, which is probably more difficult than bait in many ways, but easier in some. I basically only cast at feeding fish and cover a lot of water to find fish that are actively eating. Unless you are sight fishing with a fly, i'd defer to some of the bait experts on here (drew can chime in for sure). the two methods are really nothing alike at all...

keep at it! Carp are not easy to catch, but very rewarding when you put it together consistently.

Reactions: waco
Gunga
Gunga
john montana said:
keep listening to your uncle Tyler...truthfully, i have absolutely no idea how to consistently catch carp with bait. i've never really tried, just caught a few small ones with corn with my kids. I sight fish for them with a flyrod, which is probably more difficult than bait in many ways, but easier in some. I basically only cast at feeding fish and cover a lot of water to find fish that are actively eating. Unless you are sight fishing with a fly, i'd defer to some of the bait experts on here (drew can chime in for sure). the two methods are really nothing alike at all...

keep at it! Carp are not easy to catch, but very rewarding when you put it together consistently.

Thanks John i will keep that in mind. I wont stop till i can say i caught a carp. Hey i dont think i will stop period.:D

O
OnTheFly
Markcanby said:
Mark, if you ever post a photo of a carp with one of my own hand tied crystal buggers in it's lip, you'll need a million dollar complex in Pakistan to hide from me for ten years.

Reactions: brandon4455
J
JeannaJigs
OnTheFly said:
Mark, if you ever post a photo of a carp with one of my own hand tied crystal buggers in it's lip, you'll need a million dollar complex in Pakistan to hide from me for ten years.

Best post ever.

I believe it too.

Reactions: Markcanby and OnTheFly
T
TTFishon
Great job!!! I like the pics too!

Reactions: Markcanby
M
Markcanby
OnTheFly said:

Hhmmmmmmm this sounds like a challenge.:think::think:

Reactions: OnTheFly
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Great report, great photos! You really are an exceptional angler!

Ignore the flamers: Much like the angry old man on the hill who seldom has a lady visitor, I suspect it's been a while since any of them have seen the backing of their own reels.

O
OnTheFly
GraphiteZen said:
Great report, great photos! You really are an exceptional angler!

Ignore the flamers: Much like the angry old man on the hill who seldom has a lady visitor, I suspect it's been a while since any of them have seen the backing of their own reels.

Hey, John knows we're cool. And how on earth could anyone get 'angry' with a fly fisherman from Montana. Gimmie a break Zen.

M
Markcanby
OnTheFly said:
Hey, John knows we're cool. And how on earth could anyone get 'angry' with a fly fisherman from Montana. Gimmie a break Zen.

Yeah Zen cool your jets. I do want to go out with John an see my pretty orange backing. Also with teh challenge from OTF to catch one with his blood sweat an tears COWB its been added to my list for the year.

Steel
Smallmouth
CARP
all on the fly.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Uh, yeah. Just playing... Sheesh.

But, if you want to get serious, the flaming that does occur on carp threads isn't necessary. I think we all can agree on that.

Reactions: Markcanby
M
Markcanby
GraphiteZen said:
Uh, yeah. Just playing... Sheesh.

But, if you want to get serious, the flaming that does occur on carp threads isn't necessary. I think we all can agree on that.

So were we Zen

I will agree you are right about some other post in the past from some users

J
john montana
After the long, cold, winter (and spring) I was just glad to get into some fish finally! Sorry about the pics...they kind of suck. I lost my camera in San Diego and had to use my iPhone...tricky in high water. Any recommendations on a waterproof digital? Need to replace my pentax.

Should be a good season. My goal is to land a 35 lber this year. I have seen and hooked fish that size but they are tough to hang onto.

Some more crummy pics on my blog. I caught a decent mirror (13 lbs) as well, but the pic doesn't do the fish justice.

Reactions: GraphiteZen
O
OnTheFly
Markcanby said:
Yeah Zen cool your jets. I do want to go out with John an see my pretty orange backing. Also with teh challenge from OTF to catch one with his blood sweat an tears COWB its been added to my list for the year.

Steel
Smallmouth
CARP
all on the fly.
Soooo...Mark, If you can catch all of those fish with one of my buggers, would you be a believer then?

M
Markcanby
OnTheFly said:
Soooo...Mark, If you can catch all of those fish with one of my buggers, would you be a believer then?

How did I not see this coming.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey you got those gold rib olive done for me yet remember I wanted a bakers dozen.:lol:

M
Markcanby
I just got a Pentax w90 an love it!!