Ling cod fishing

E
emrldmist
so i am headed out to the bay on sunday looking to catch some ling cod any one have any suggestions when where how? is there a better bay to fish for these guys i do have a boat if that helps

J
joeyota
emrldmist said:
so i am headed out to the bay on sunday looking to catch some ling cod any one have any suggestions when where how? is there a better bay to fish for these guys i do have a boat if that helps

I caught my very first ling out about 3/4 of mile from the jetty's. I will not go to new port without my boat if I am planning on fishing or crabbing. I have caught 4 legal lings in 3 trips, all in the ocean south of the jetty on the reefs.
I might be in the bay on saturday with my brother crabbing. He has a fear of the big ocean and the little boat thing so we will just be crabbing.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I go out in my pontoon so I can't go any further than the end of the jetty but I have hooked some nice fish without even leaving the bay. What always kills for me are either some silver and purple cheapo swim baits you can get at the Marina or some higher quality Storm brand herring swim baits. Both slathered with herring flavored (yes flavored :lol:) Smelly Jelly. I have had some good days doing that. Scary but good :lol::lol::lol:

S
susqwahanna
You take your pontoon boat to the end of the jetty??

You are an animal!! I am impressed:clap:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
susqwahanna said:
You take your pontoon boat to the end of the jetty??

You are an animal!! I am impressed:clap:

haha not "take" more like "took". It was pretty gnarly with the swells and the water crashing off the north side.. I still go out but tend to not go too far past the fingers, I have had a few close ones...