Lingcod 'isopod'...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
so my New Years Day lingcod had this goofy 'isopod' on it, that is not photo-shopped, that is the creepy thing on my cleaning table...it apparently had crawled out of the fishes mouth during the drive home.

YE5AyIk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

P
playhooky
Lucky little creature.....not much comes out of a ling cods mouth. It’s usually a one-way trip! Nice catch....

EOBOY
EOBOY
rogerdodger;n608918 said:
so my New Years Day lingcod had this goofy 'isopod' on it, that is not photo-shopped, that is the creepy thing on my cleaning table...it apparently had crawled out of the fishes mouth during the drive home.

YE5AyIk.jpg

OK, I've been catching up on the X-FILES, I think you need to call Fox and Dana!

F
fish4life
I watched a television show about how they eat part of the fishes tongue and attach itself to it so when ever the fish eats it gets a free meal, nice fish by the way.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
fish4life;n608942 said:
I watched a television show about how they eat part of the fishes tongue and attach itself to it so when ever the fish eats it gets a free meal, nice fish by the way.

correct, this thing is called a "tongue eating isopod". Google that and check the images if you want to see some messed up fish with these in their mouths.

G
Gulfstream
They are a nasty creature.I have caught perch that had huge ones in their gills.Can,t be comfortable

F
Fishnsleep
Yuck, still safe to eat I would assume?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Fishnsleep;n608964 said:
Yuck, still safe to eat I would assume?

yeah, the fish are just fine. as I understand it, these things are just 'hitchhikers with benefits' since they get a free meal when the lingcod eats...and if there's one thing lingcod like to do, it is eat!

hobster
hobster
rogerdodger;n608977 said:
yeah, the fish are just fine. as I understand it, these things are just 'hitchhikers with benefits' since they get a free meal when the lingcod eats...and if there's one thing lingcod like to do, it is eat!

Yes, the fish was quite delicious actually. Roger was kind enough to share some fillets and a bunch of crab with Brandon and I, not the first time. Thanks again buddy, much appreciated!

Reactions: rogerdodger
A
Aton
Um yeah I think I might kindly give away those fillets also.

N
Native Fisher
hobster;n608979 said:
Yes, the fish was quite delicious actually. Roger was kind enough to share some fillets and a bunch of crab with Brandon and I, not the first time. Thanks again buddy, much appreciated!

Keep an eye on your tongue bro!

hobster
hobster
:lol: