Lingcod happy dance

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
in the tidewater/bay at least, Rockfish bite is like most fish... "bump, bump, pause, bump bump, pause...". Lingcod bite feels like a snag, then it moves a little or can be lifted, like you hooked a crab pot, then they wake up when you set the hook...

I got the whole deal on video today- how I fish for lings near the RR trestles, watching the sonar and bumping the bottom until a ling says "get in my belly" to my Gulp Alive Grub...you get to see how I deal with the fish on my kayak, then I do my "Lingcod Happy Dance" on the boat, text my wife, and then I get back to fishing...cheers, roger

• photo30532.jpg
Last edited:
Reactions: Ikijime, bubs, EOBOY and 5 others
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Good job!

Admin
Admin
woohoo!

K
killigan
Nice job rodgerdodger! I too would be doing my happy dance :)
lebowskidance.gif

B
billfisher
:yikes::worthy::flex::thumb:Nice Feesh. Nice clear video, thanks for taking us along.

G
Gulfstream
nice!

O
OnTheDrop
Love it buddy

B
bubs
Best post of 2016

B
Billamicasr
Nice color on that Ling. Great video; just like being there.

Ikijime
Ikijime
Awesome video, Roger!!! I didn't know you had one of those fancy Hobie kayaks. Thanks for posting!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
thanks everyone, later on I did have 2 more chances at a second lingcod, hooked one at 40' that felt larger, got it halfway up and poof, it was gone (that happens with these fish...), the other was a solid ling take at the bottom, felt it move, set the hook hard and my 20# leader broke right in the middle, so it had been nicked on a rock at some point...that's how it goes fishing around pilings and rocks...lots of hook sharpening and leader checking. I released 5 coppers and also took home a 1.5# black...

FYI- that ling, which was 23.5" on the cleaning table, resulted in a pair of beautiful 14oz fillets and another 6oz of chunks, strips, cheeks, and bellies, so 2+ pounds of eats plus 2 crab baits from that fish...

T
taconight2night
Awesome video!!! Can you speak on your experience using lingcod as crab bait? Had good luck? Growing up in southern OR I was always told that ling carcasses didn't make very good crab bait because the crabs have naturally evolved to be scared of lingcod scent. Sounds a bit "mythy" to me but none the less I have avoided using them lol

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
taconight2night;n597119 said:
Awesome video!!! Can you speak on your experience using lingcod as crab bait? Had good luck? Growing up in southern OR I was always told that ling carcasses didn't make very good crab bait because the crabs have naturally evolved to be scared of lingcod scent. Sounds a bit "mythy" to me but none the less I have avoided using them lol

regarding this, see my 'Oregon Coast Triathlon' post under Salt Water Fishing....LOL

P
pathfinder
Nice job and great video !!