Lingcod fishing

C
CJ3434
I need the low dow on these suckers... I was fishing off the jetty in newport and my brother and I got bites but we don't know what they were... we were trying to catch lings (emphasis on trying) but instead I caught a crab (then the stupid crab took my line and got in stuck in rocks as if it were some kind of joke!) My bro got a big bite of something but couldn't haul it in... we are both wondering if that south jetty in newport is a good spot for lings? Is there other spots on the Oregon coast that are better? We used some berkely gulp saltwater fishing bait... we used the worms shrimps and the little fish that look like herring... is there something better to use?? I kept getting the tails of my shrimp and fish bitten off by something.. is there a way to turn those bites into snags? Any advice would help.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigsteel and Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
We have several coastal fisher folks that can answer your questions while having their morning cup o joe. Sounds like a very interesting day, even with the crusty ol crab swiping your line.

B
BlackBass
South Jetty in Newport is a great place to catch Lingcod, be sure to keep an eye out for big waves and fish only good conditions. Fish Herring on a double hook mooching rig with a sliding lead . Keep your leader short and make sure to cast just off the rocks 20' is perfect. Fish from now until May for best results!

C
chrisohm
I too have had that fish that wouldn't budge off those rocks. You will find greenling, flounder, lingcod, other rock fish, buffalo sculpins and a few other fish there throughout the year. I would stick with BlackBass' suggestion for lingcod. I have caught a juvenile flounder and 3 of those sculpins within an hour using the Berkly salt water baits, glow in the dark fish. There are times where you might come into contact with a wolf eel. They take your line and hide, never giving an inch.

B
bythesea
never fished newport ,but I'm sure the presentation is all the same.I use 6" salt water saltwater grubs (gulp) allways it just they work real well for me.I do like Blackbass' Idea too never tried it..IT'S going to put to the hook at the back of the bait which is good,cause lings usually allways grab it first before the swallow it Ive' had a lot of my grubs bitten right in half from jerking to early.now I allways give slack when I feel that first hit. If you think it was a ling that you missed :mad: get your line back too that spot it'll probably still be there. and a good stiff pole will help too you'll be able to pull them from the rocks Quickly...have fun.....FISH-ON!!!!

Last edited:
T
The Nothing
If you're fighting something that's not moving, it's most likely a Cabezon. A 19" Cab will out pull a 36" ling. They're tough.

C
CJ3434
Thanks for all the replys... that really helps

B
BlackBass
I agree with what was said about the cabezon they pull hard . Perfect rod for jetty fishing would be 9' 15-40 for bait and a 12-30 for jigs. I like to fish 50lb power pro for jig fishing small diameter allows for long casts which are needed in certain pockets i know about, 80lb braid for bait rod.

C
CJ3434
BlackBass said:
I agree with what was said about the cabezon they pull hard . Perfect rod for jetty fishing would be 9' 15-40 for bait and a 12-30 for jigs. I like to fish 50lb power pro for jig fishing small diameter allows for long casts which are needed in certain pockets i know about, 80lb braid for bait rod.

I'm sorry black bass but I'm still a little green to fishing especially marine fishing.. what's 15-40 bait? And 12-30 jigs? How does that set up work?

B
BlackBass
15-40 is line rating for the rod 15lb tip 40lb backbone. 10 or 12 -30 is ideal for throwing jigs, you will need just a bit more sensitivity in the tip of your rod so you can feel the jig and be in tune with whats going on.If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

C
CoastieFlo
A 2 oz jig with big white curl tail grub works great too