Ling cod jigs

D
DG1959
The ling cod should be biting. February and March are some of my favorite months for big Lings.
What’s your favorite jigs for these fish? What’s your favorite colors? I have had excellent luck with Lancer jigs in green and silver or white. 2 ounce to 4 ounce.
i think you have to order the Lancer jigs, haven’t seen them available otherwise.

Irishrover
Irishrover
A big fat old back rock cod hooked to a shrimp fly. It's always great fun to bring in a ling that has just gone after a rock cod that has taken one of your shrimp flies. For actual targeting lings I like a weighted rubber swim bait.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
I have used large jig heads with white tails, I know others love using home made pipe jigs.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Lancers jigs Water dog. 4oz.

G
Gulfstream
4-5 oz jig head depending on depth and drift. I use custom poured swimbaits in 4 or 6 inch. More subtle colors when the water is clear and brighter when its off color

Fummus
Fummus
Thanks for the reminder about February/March and big lings. Been so busy lately, I'd completely forgotten about them. One of my kids refers to lingcod as "big dumb and tasty" . Three very desirable traits in a food source IMHO.

DOKF
DOKF
I caught a very big ling a few years back fishing from a rubber dinghy in the San Juans. After a long battle, I was slowly getting the better of it, but it had a sudden reinvigoration and burst of energy just as I brought it within feet of the surface. With a sudden rush straight down, it snapped my lightweight rod in half (I was targeting rock fish and kelp bass), and broke free.

What an adrenaline rush!

After I recovered from my loss, I began to think: would a spiny floppy ling be safe inside a flimsy rubber dinghy hundreds of yards from shore? We'll never know.

It scares me to just think about kayakers chasing sturgeon ...

D
DG1959
I try to use 3 ounce, but the current dictates. Love watching a Ling hang on to a greenling .... just got to keep that head underwater.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
DOKF said:
I caught a very big ling a few years back fishing from a rubber dinghy in the San Juans. After a long battle, I was slowly getting the better of it, but it had a sudden reinvigoration and burst of energy just as I brought it within feet of the surface. With a sudden rush straight down, it snapped my lightweight rod in half (I was targeting rock fish and kelp bass), and broke free.

What an adrenaline rush!

After I recovered from my loss, I began to think: would a spiny floppy ling be safe inside a flimsy rubber dinghy hundreds of yards from shore? We'll never know.

It scares me to just think about kayakers chasing sturgeon ...
I agree with you on a basic raft/dinghy but I never worried about that landing lingcod at Simpson reef or on CoosBay to my Hobie i11s (11' inflatable board/kayak), but it's one of those super rigid 'drop-stitch' inflatables with a hard/thick outer layer.

In fact, I heard that a few years ago, some guy put a 43" CA halibut on his i11s on CoosBay, it weighed more than the i11s!
hang on, that was me. :cool:

DOKF
DOKF
You are awesome! My mom once caught a halibut off Race Rocks in the Straits of Juan de Fuca that gave her a real scare. She was in a 19' skiff, and the halibut was pulling the stern down hard and the whole boat backwards. Rather than risk landing it (she was fishing alone!), she cut the line and headed to shore. Done with fishing after that, she sold the boat.

I'll stick with my canoe chasing trout. :)

Reactions: rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
just Google "i11s California Halibut", last I checked the video had over 10K hits...I was targeting them that summer but ended up hooking it on a lighter spinning rod rigged more for 5# lingcod.