Ling cod

H
here2fish
Hey guys,

Just got done watching oregon field guide a bit ago and saw a segment about ocean kayaking for lings. I was wondering what a good time of year was for this?

also how are lingcod for eating?

B
beaverfan
Not sure about the first question but as far as eating them. They are delicious!

M
Markcanby
Yes now is the time as water is calmest was gona try in my pontoon but have not had a chance yet.

H
here2fish
yah my dad just gave me a sweet a$@ A.I.R.E. inflatable sea kayak that I was thinking of taking out there.

Anyone ever launch a kayak into the surf?

tough?

O
osmosis
tough to get past the breakers right off the surf. if you catch a calm day (small swells and mild wind) crossing depoe bar or newport's bar is easier (just dont come in on a strong outgoing).

Do NOT do this without a good radio so that you can call CG when the situation calls for it.

The Ocean is very flat right now, but the lings are in the time of year where its a bit harder to catch them - you have to dang near hit them in the face with your jig.

Ling cod are delicious!!

F
fishnquest
I always seem to get lings on bigger tides, mostly incoming. You should get plenty of rockfish in the process. Thats down here, may be different up there. Ling cod and rockfish are great eating.

F
Fish Fight
Ling is great eating. I would use a boat as your mother ship if you want to fish out of an inflatable. You can go north to Sieku/Neah Bay area and launch from shore for some bottom fishing. A lot of kelp and near shore fishing without the breakers.

M
madoc
here2fish said:
yah my dad just gave me a sweet a$@ A.I.R.E. inflatable sea kayak that I was thinking of taking out there.

Anyone ever launch a kayak into the surf?

tough?

Yes.

Advice from a newbie to another newbie.

Find a buddy who is also using a kayak to fish from. Leave a check-in schedule and float plan with someone on dry land.
Make sure you have a good PFD, a waterproof VHF radio, and an emergency whistle at the very least.
Wear the PFD the whole time.
Learn how to get back on/in the kayak before you go out on the ocean.
Take a basic paddling skills course.
Check the NOAA forecast, Magic Seaweed and other tidal/surf forecasts. Learn what all of the information means before you try anything.
Dress for immersion. I wear a drysuit with a wool/fleece underlayer. Most other kayak anglers in the NW wear drysuits, farmer john wetsuits with drytops, or waders with belts and drytops.
I personally would not fish from an inflatable in the Ocean.

A guy died on the coast a couple of months ago while kayak fishing. He had on a PFD, was out by himself with no radio, and was not dressed appropriately. The best anyone can guess is that he fell off/ got knocked off his kayak, didn't know or wasn't capable of self rescue, and died of hypothermia/drowning. They found him on the beach near his kayak.

That said, hooking up with a big Ling while riding a kayak is pretty darn fun - I hooked into a big'un last wednesday off Cape Kiwanda - nearly stripped the reel, landed it only to have it get away from me in the boat. Having a 30+" angry fish in your lap is pretty exciting.

Last edited:
H
HANKIII
are these fish in the bay ? going crabbing out of netarts bay if so what is a good bait ? shrimp ?

C
chris61182
madoc said:
That said, hooking up with a big Ling while riding a kayak is pretty darn fun - I hooked into a big'un last wednesday off Cape Kiwanda - nearly stripped the reel, landed it only to have it get away from me in the boat. Having a 30+" angry fish in your lap is pretty exciting.

While accurate, I'm not sure exciting is the word I'd choose :lol:!

M
madoc
HANKIII said:
are these fish in the bay ? going crabbing out of netarts bay if so what is a good bait ? shrimp ?

You aren't going to find them in Netarts. They live in and around rocky structure. All of the Lings that I have hooked up hit a 3 oz jig w/ 6/0 hook and dark colored swimbait bodies. The bigger ones will latch onto smaller fish that you are reeling in. I have yet to have that happen, but I know guys who have had rockfish or smallish lings on the line, and then a much larger ling latches on.

You can try for them off of jetties, but the monsters tend to be a little further out. Barview Jetty probably has a few.

You will want to be prepared for them - teeth, and relatively large size.

C
Chubbs
Good luck!

Good luck!

We went to Depoe Bay yesterday. You can rent a SOT kayak from Otter Rock Surf Shop for $25/day. I'd definitely recommend riding tandem with a buddy if it's your first time out. They can help keep you in place when you have a fish on (less chance to get snagged if it's a big-un'). I try to keep my line as vertical as possible.

Didn't catch any lings, but caught several rock fish. It's a blast - but do use caution when out there. I agree with the others - 3oz lead head but i was using a light colored grub.