Line weight? or rod weight?

R
rainbowfisherman
I want a 2 weight fly rod i think. Online it says
rod weight 2.5
and line weight 4
so i know it sounds like a stupid question but is it a 2.5 weight or 4 wt??:think:

D
DirectDrive
rainbowfisherman said:
rod weight 2.5
and line weight 4
so i know it sounds like a stupid question but is it a 2.5 weight or 4 wt??:think:
The physical weight of that rod is 2.5 ounces.
The line weight that it is rated for is a "4 weight".

Last edited:
R
rainbowfisherman
so is it considered a 4 wt??

M
Mike123
rainbowfisherman said:

YES.

I didn't even know a 2wt existed?
That would be worthless.

A 4wt. is perfect for hatchery trout... A 5-6wt. better suited for casting long distance on a lake.

Last edited:
D
DirectDrive
rainbowfisherman said:
Guess I wasn't clear enough....
A fly rod is always "described" by its line rating, never by the physical weight of the rod itself. The rod in question is rated for 4-weight line and therefore is a "4-weight" rod.

It would be possible for a lower tech 5-weight (line rated) rod to physically weigh the same as a higher tech 8-weight (line rated) rod. That is why the physical weight of the rod cannot be used for the primary description.

R
rainbowfisherman
OK thanks

L
Larry Massengale
2 weight

2 weight

rainbowfisherman said:
rod weight 2.5
and line weight 4

Why would you want a 2 weight?

R
rainbowfisherman
For hatchery trout i guess

L
Larry Massengale
rainbowfisherman said:
For hatchery trout i guess

I'e all ways gone for a 6 wt. Am expecting an 8wt as a xmas gift. Planning a rio to Alasksa late next summer:)

L
Larry Massengale
2 wt fly rod

2 wt fly rod

I would recommend that you go to the library and do some resdearch on fly fishing. Learn line weights, tippet sizes,floating and sinking lines as well as rod weights.
I have an old 6wt Sage that must be 25 years old. Also inherited my wifes 6wt Lamiglas when she discovered her vertigo would interfere with fly fishing.
Also would recommend a day with a good guide.
Where do you live, Im in western Oregon.

S
skunk
I have a small 2 wt, and its fun on small creeks like way upper eagle creek (the hike in part). Its main problem is lack of casting distance. Even when it loads properly there just in not enough power to get out any distance. So 20-30' is the max. Its hard to mend with as the rod just won't flip the line over well. Its a real speciallized rod and I can do so much more with a 6wt. Cabellas carries them for $100 so if you feel inclined go for it. Or I'll sell mine to you reel, line and rod for $100. pm me if you want. I just don't use it enough to keep it. I'll take a nice 6wt any day over it.