Line Tangling On Knot

E
EsotericForest
So to connect my fly line to my leader, I'm using the normal nail knot. Unfortunately from time to time my leader line will snag itself on the knot itself, and completely tangle itself up. If there anything I can do to prevent that from happening?

D
Drew9870
Are you trimming the tag lines off all the way down to where they won't slip through? Knot should be very neat.

Also, can you make a neat cast 9/10 times? Could be happening because you aren't making a slight motion away from your body while coming to 12 O'Clock during your back and front cast.

M
mrlindeman
Drew9870 said:
Are you trimming the tag lines off all the way down to where they won't slip through? Knot should be very neat.

Also, can you make a neat cast 9/10 times? Could be happening because you aren't making a slight motion away from your body while coming to 12 O'Clock during your back and front cast.

True this. Also you can get some loons knot sense. You put that on the knot and smooth it over creating a nice smooth cover and hold it up to the sun for a couple minutes. Its uv activated and will create a great coating for the knot :)

T
the_intimidator03
I use a Perfection Loop and have the same issue. I like Lind's suggestion, Also if you find you want a better line.. Look for something with a welded loop.

D
Drew9870
What type of flies are you using, there can be quite a few reasons for what is happening. Dry flies should be used with a tapered leader, I get a lot more tangles while using a dry, weighted flies will sometimes put knots in your line, which create weak points.

Most of this is in your casting, and can't be avoided no matter what the line/knot, it generally happens on the back cast.

Esoteric, How would you rate yourself on fly casting? 1-10? Not making judgments, just wanting to see how likely it could be in your cast, I am mastering different roll casts and I would only rate my normal back/forward cast as a 6.5, just because I am not consistent with every cast especially when going for distance.

There are a few determining factors, and I would not recommend putting anything that could add weight anywhere between your fly line and your fly unless you feel you rate yourself 8-10 on forward/back casting.

M
mrlindeman
Radical sloppy spey casts always do that to my line. Are you roll casting or open casting?

B
BigShayne
WOW there is a LOT of responses that confuse me.

IF this knot problem is happening when you are casting normal (not roll casting) then it is caused by a tailing loop (Fly below the line). Tailing loops happen when you start your motion (front or back) too fast. Your casting motion should got like this SLOW-FAST-STOP--SLOW-FAST-STOP from 10 to 12:30. the fly should Always be above your line.

S
Sinkline
You are throwing a tailing loop when you cast which is why your leader is snagging at the knot. Practice your timing when you change direction with your cast and you will solve the problem you have.

Randy

E
EsotericForest
I probably wouldn't rate my casting as very good. I've only just started fly fishing a couple of weeks ago, so a lot of it probably has to do with my technique. I'm mainly using dry flies with a tapered leader by the way.

N
ninja2010
what shayne and randy said... tailing loop issue. more practice would cure that in no time at all.

G
GDBrown
Try practicing on a grass field and make you casts sideways so you can see the back cast as well as the forward cast. You will notice that the fly will come forward at whatever elevation your back cast ends at. So if you stop your back cast with your rod at 12 O'clock then your forward cast will not have the tailing loop in it provided you give the line enough time to get all the way behind you. If you need help ask someone on the forum who lives in your area to come spend some time with you. I'm sure you'll find help if you just ask. I also find that I need to make a small oval with my rod time to keep from tangling so much. Out from my body on the back cast then straight overhead with my forward cast. I know that's not totally kosher but I do what I have to to get the fly to the fish.

Keep practicing, it will come to you,

GD

E
EsotericForest
Sounds good, and thanks for the advice. It was encouraging that on my first two casts I got hits, and my third cast I caught a little large mouth bass ;). I've been out around 4 times now, and so far am loving it.