Line still tangling and wrapping around

D
Danny662boy
ok so i've been trying to fish the columbia river from the bank. i purchased these swivels in hopes of not having any more tangled lines. i went out today with these new swivels and still getting tangled. im using 15 pound fluro leader which is 20-24" long, my bank sinker is attached with an end loop and the length of that line is 6-8 inches of 10#mono. i watched the youtube vids of these swivels in hopes that it would end my frustration everytime i retrieve, the leader is wrapped around everything!

if this keeps up, i just may tie a high/low rig and be done with it... i've never had this problem surf fishing on the east coast beaches

F
FishNinja
Try throwing in a chain swivel about a third of the way from your dropper to your lure/bait.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I don't bank fish so this will probably be an ignorant question but...why does the weight need to be on a dropper? Could it just be attached to a snap swivel above your leader?

F
Finz
Assuming your plunking. I had the same issue. Ditch the fluorocarbon. Go with a 20-25 lb mono, maxima works well .
your tangles will be gone.

O
OnTheDrop
Go to BC Angling in Gladstone. Spreader bars made for plunking. I plunk the big C with these and you couldn't get line twists or tangles if you tried! Every plunker needs em!

On the lower river in softer water I use a 4-6oz pyramid tied to about 10 inches of leader. 24-30" leader to spin glow and coon shrimp. Lights out for Salmon or steels and have never dealt with that issue.. No need to use multiple rig ups either. They out fish everyone who uses the 3 glow set up. Try it out and see for yourself. Good luck!

Oh yeah, I'm not sure where your fishing but we never cast more than 15-20 yards off the bank.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
jamisonace said:
I don't bank fish so this will probably be an ignorant question but...why does the weight need to be on a dropper? Could it just be attached to a snap swivel above your leader?

To hold your setup OFF the bottom I believe, also w the 10 pound you can break your snagged weight OFF without losing your rig.

I'm assuming your using spin and glows?

Ive had mild success plunking on smaller rivers.

D
Danny662boy
im thinking that it may be due using braid on my main line? i plan to try with 8lb mono on the spool. 15# fluro leader, and see what happens then?? my leaders aren't very long 20-24" i have them on snap swivels.. and my dropper line is about 6 inches

T
troutmasta
you want more than 8 pound for the big C. I'd say 20 -30

D
Danny662boy
ok, will check into it but could one of the causes of line tangling be that my main line is braid but yet use fluro for leader? or is flurocarbon more prone to tangling than using regular mono for leaders??

F
Finz
Use 25lb mono main line.
Get rid of the flouro, it develops memory and tangles on itself.
Use 20lb maxima ultra green for you leaders and they will not tangle.

D
Danny662boy
Finz said:
Use 25lb mono main line.

Why the maxima ultra green? Is the green a better color than clear??

F
Finz
Ultra green is just great line. I've tried lots of other line and prefer the ultra green for my plunking rigs. The chameleon is nice line also.

D
Danny662boy
excellent! i was hoping that it wouldn't be the flurocarbon, just because the stuff is so damn expensive, but i had an idea that this was causing all the tangling

D
Danny662boy
Finz said:
Use 25lb mono main line.

Any specific 25lb mono ???? Any small diameter mono lines that could pack on a spool??

F
Finz
I use maxima Hi-Vis for the main line.
you can go with 20lb if your trying to get more on your spool.

T
troutmasta
I like the High vis as well. Its nice to be able to see exactly where your line is when there is a toad on the other end sometimes.

D
Danny662boy
How is the casting with the hi via yellow? And performance on spinning reels?

T
Tinker
The braid can't the problem and I'd keep it for now. I agree that it's probably the fluorocarbon. I have problems whenever I combine a fluorocarbon with other types of lines, too, even with a swivel in between.

D
Danny662boy
I'm just going to have a separate reel for plunking. And one for float fishing and lures. That is why I was wondering if ultra green or hi vis yellow were different at all with regard to castability. Etc other than color

T
Tinker
I haven't see a difference between UG and Hi-Vis yet. I use both on separate reels for surf fishing and I don't notice a difference in abrasion resistance or knot strength. I'd call them equal. I use Chameleon in light weights - 4 and 6lb test - and I think it may be a bit more limp compared to UG of the same strength - purely subjective: it's just my impression that it is a bit softer. Knot strength is still pretty much equal, and it seems to have about the same resistance to abrasion. I have no idea if what I think I see in light lines would scale up as line test increases.

This is from several different spools of UG and Hi-Vis, and two different spools of Chameleon. Not a great baseline.