lilsalmon's first attempt at....

L
lilsalmon
Okay, so I didn't actually catch this trout (14-1/4 inch) but I was at Huddleston from 10 am till 330 so I did try. A nice man and his son gave me this one as their freezer is full of trout. This is my first attempt at cleaning a trout.....hehe....actually did a good job if I do say so myself...It is in foil, buttered, seasoned and on the grill as we speak....:dance:

I love to share. :D

T
Thuggin4Life
You need to learn how to skin them. Once I learned I won't do it any other way.

L
lilsalmon
Guess that will be next.....:confused:

S
Swamp Puppy
the skin peels off easy after they are grilled! :lol:

B
beaverfan
Well how'd it taste?

Troutski
Troutski
Cleaning fish...

Cleaning fish...

Cleaning fish is just not about cutting it open and removing the internal workings, it is also about cleaning the skin. If you like your fish fishy, then rinse it off and grill it. I on the other hand like the taste of the meat not the membrane that covers each fish. Next time after you have removed the internal workings spend the same amount of time cleaning the outside of the fish...it will change how you feel about eating fresh water fish until no longer slippery. Just my opinion...I had to learn this myself from a very helpful angler when I was just learning my basic skills. We won't go into how long ago that was but - we were so excited when we got an outside antenna for the Black and White T.V. ;)

Chuck

Chromatose
Chromatose
I would bet that Black & White did not have a remote either......:lol:

A well cleaned fish IMO makes the meal that much better.

L
lilsalmon
beaverfan said:
Well how'd it taste?

Yummmm. Butter (lots), lemon-lime juice, lemon pepper, wrapped tight in foil and 24 minutes on the grill.....it was great...didn't share with anyone but the dog got a piece. Secret is to lay the fish on a row of thick onions....that way if the grill burns it the fish is left perfect....you all probably knew that. :D

L
lilsalmon
Troutski said:
Cleaning fish is just not about cutting it open and removing the internal workings, it is also about cleaning the skin. If you like your fish fishy, then rinse it off and grill it. I on the other hand like the taste of the meat not the membrane that covers each fish. Next time after you have removed the internal workings spend the same amount of time cleaning the outside of the fish...it will change how you feel about eating fresh water fish until no longer slippery. Just my opinion...I had to learn this myself from a very helpful angler when I was just learning my basic skills. We won't go into how long ago that was but - we were so excited when we got an outside antenna for the Black and White T.V. ;)

Chuck

There used to be black and white TV's? JK :lol: Actually I cleaned the outside but left the skin on cuz thats how I wanted to grill it....Wasn't fishy at all. I need instructions on filleting, thats next.

T
TTFishon
lilsalmon said:
Yummmm. Butter (lots), lemon-lime juice, lemon pepper, wrapped tight in foil and 24 minutes on the grill.....it was great...didn't share with anyone but the dog got a piece. Secret is to lay the fish on a row of thick onions....that way if the grill burns it the fish is left perfect....you all probably knew that. :D

Nope, didn't know that but it makes sense and sounds good.

Chromatose
Chromatose
lilsalmon, Ask four different fisher folk about filleting a fish and you will get four different ways of doing so. From what I have seen, their all good. I did run into this link, YouTube - How to Fillet Fish : Fillet a Fish
the guy does a good job of explanation. What he doesn't cover is when you get your fillets cut there are pin bones that need to be removed. Some will say " IF your doing a good job in your fillet process, then pin bones will not be needed to be removed". I Bow to those folks. But myself, I use a pair of needle nose pliers or a pair of hemostats for the removal of the pin bones. Practice makes for better results. Good Luck! Yes they did make Black & White TV`s way way way back in the day, that is when UHF was the Hot Ticket. :lol:

L
lilsalmon
Chromatose said:
lilsalmon, Ask four different fisher folk about filleting a fish and you will get four different ways of doing so. From what I have seen, their all good. I did run into this link, YouTube - How to Fillet Fish : Fillet a Fish
the guy does a good job of explanation. What he doesn't cover is when you get your fillets cut there are pin bones that need to be removed. Some will say " IF your doing a good job in your fillet process, then pin bones will not be needed to be removed". I Bow to those folks. But myself, I use a pair of needle nose pliers or a pair of hemostats for the removal of the pin bones. Practice makes for better results. Good Luck! Yes they did make Black & White TV`s way way way back in the day, that is when UHF was the Hot Ticket. :lol:

Thanks for the info...watched the vid and it was great, made it look pretty easy. I have also been told about the pin bones and hemastats. Now I need to catch one of my own....:lol: Or, better yet, a steelhead. Hopefully, this weekend? :pray: