Lightweight kayak fishfinder

T
TimberTodd
I am looking at adding a fishfinder to my kayak, but want to keep the weight down as much as possible. I like what I read about the RayMarine Dragonfly4. I am cautious though not knowing what I would need for a battery. I do not want to pack a large 12 volt battery. I have looked into the Hawkeye Fishtrax 1C, but the only reviews seem to be by the manufacturer. I am also still in the dark after researching them as to whether they show structure or not. My primary use will be for finding structure, depth and bottom contours. Anyone have experience with small portable fishfinders?

C_Run
C_Run
I don't know about that model bet I'd recommend color and not grayscale for the finder in a kayak. I'm about to replace my Humminbird because I can hardly read it when the sun is out. Yeah, a 12 volt battery weighs maybe three pounds +.

P
pinstriper
I have a Hook 4x on my kayak. The 12v battery is pretty small, weighs a few pounds. 30 Ah or so SLA.

T
TimberTodd
Thanks C_ Run for the insight. I am gonna have to look closer at 12 volt batteries. I was thinking I was going to have to power one with a 12 volt deep cycle like I used with my electric trolling motor. That rascal weighed way more than 3 lbs.

T
TimberTodd
Thanks pinstriper. What brand of battery are you using?

P
pinstriper
TimberTodd;n607243 said:

Pffft. Whatever Amazon was selling and also fit the 8" round hatch battery kit from Hobie. SLA batteries are fungible.

In fact, IIRC when I bought the Hobie battery kit from Amazon it offered up a package deal that included a battery. I took the deal.

Casting Call
Casting Call
TimberTodd;n607243 said:

Think about using a sealed gel cell batt. (works on its side also, no spill) motorcycle size. Hope this helps. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
C_Run;n607240 said:
I don't know about that model bet I'd recommend color and not grayscale for the finder in a kayak. I'm about to replace my Humminbird because I can hardly read it when the sun is out. Yeah, a 12 volt battery weighs maybe three pounds +.

Look into a portable self contained batt. (4 to six dbl AAs, color by hummingbird Tony

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Go to Bimart and get a small lawnmower battery about 25 bucks I run my Ship to Shore on it, I also have Humminbird takes 6 AA batteries and 99 cent store ones last about 8 hours. Works well and very light!

• photo31782.jpg
T
TimberTodd
Thanks for the help guys. I will be at BiMart tomorrow so I will see what they have.

P
pinstriper
GaryP1958 said:
Go to Bimart and get a small lawnmower battery about 25 bucks I run my Ship to Shore on it, I also have Humminbird takes 6 AA batteries and 99 cent store ones last about 8 hours. Works well and very light!

I used one of those for a while. It puts drag on one side of the boat and I was always fighting to maintain directional control.

plumbertom
plumbertom
Okay, cons to those SLA batteries. They are heavy. face it they have lead in them.
The only way to cut the weight is to lower the available power life.
SLA batteries can have problems, like voltage drop, in cold weather.
One more thing to realize is they can have a short battery life.
It's hard to find a small deep cycle SLA battery. They aren't intended to be drained fully.
So, Positive: Lots of power for the money
Negatives: Heavy, not good in cold, short shelf life, and the voltage can drop below 12V
Most Kayakers today that want to minimize weight use lithium batteries.
Small and light weight can fit almost anywhere, full power delivery until the battery is depleted, less power loss in cold weather, and an exceptional battery life.
They are expensive though and they have had problems with fire risk although those have been mostly addressed by the makers.
So, Positives: Light, small, all 12V, no cold weather battery loss, and longer shelf life.
Negatives: EXPENSIVE and must take precautions for battery safety

T
TimberTodd
Thanks Roger and Tom for the help and information.

D
DrTheopolis
A friend has a Bottom Line Fishin Buddy. Takes a few AA batteries, weighs next to nothing, shows depth, structure, and an occasional fish blip. Nothing fancy, in fact crude -- but light and cheap.

EOBOY
EOBOY
TT I have a fishing buddy in my garage you can have!!!!

T
TimberTodd
Thank you for that kind offer my friend. I think I am going to plan a trip to WestMarine in Tigard and compare the Hook4 and Dragonfly4 units. I believe that is the direction I am headed.

P
pinstriper
What kind of boat ? Some have the ability to mount the transducer in a scupper. Otherwise you can cement it to the bottom of the hull on the inside, using goop or other marine sealant.

T
TimberTodd
Its a Nucanoe Frontier. I am considering one of 3 mounting options. Either through a scupper, magnetic mount to the side of the hull or one of the battery boxes with the bendable arm extension for the transducer, I am leaning towards that 3rd option.

P
pinstriper
TimberTodd;n607349 said:
Its a Nucanoe Frontier. I am considering one of 3 mounting options. Either through a scupper, magnetic mount to the side of the hull or one of the battery boxes with the bendable arm extension for the transducer, I am leaning towards that 3rd option.

Ah. Ok, so you're not going to paddle that beast much anyway, so a transducer arm won't hurt you.

Are you planning on a small gas motor or a large electric trolling motor ? Either way I'm surprised you're worried about shaving weight off the fish finder.

Andrew.p
Andrew.p
Mostly Fishfinder needs extra battery pack. But there are few fishfinders which have buit in battery system, but those are not good as the traditional fishfinder.

I am using Garmin Striker 4 on my Kayak with external waterproof battery pack. Working fine since 3 years, no problem faced.

My some clients always ask what the best Best Kayak Fish Finders. so i made made a list, i you going to ask same questions. 😜
  1. Garmin Striker 4 (My 😍)
  2. Lowrance HOOK Reveal
  3. Garmin Striker 4cv
  4. Lowrance Elite 9 Ti
These are my favorites, which i personally used. If have any question, don't hesitate.

Reactions: Raincatcher