Light/Ultralight Gear

B
burnsbabe
Anyone besides me enjoy tackling bass with light or ultralight gear? Besides the thrill of trying to land a 4 pound fish on 2 pound line, it makes sense for me since I'm a bank fisherman. Keeping the rod under six feet and using a light spinning reel helps with the access.

If you do, what sort of setup are you using exactly? I'm pretty pleased with my rod (ultralight 1100 Ugly Stick from Shakespeare), though the reel that came with it impresses me less.

Gunga
Gunga
I have an 8 foot old ultralight shakespeare wonderod. its long but its an awesome rod. very and i mean very ultra light action. I have a mithchell reel on it with 6 pound test. Then i have a 7 foot okuma celilo with light action. i use a small cirrus shakes speare reel on itwith 4 pound test also. Im not big into smaller rods. i can never seem to be able to cast good with them. my uncle turned me onto light gear. its very fun to fight even the smaller fish.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
90% of my spin fishing is done with ultra light rods. My favs are the Okuma Celilo rods, I've got them ranging from 6' to 8'6" - I fish 2-6 lb line on them, depending on their use. Catching 1-3 lb fish on heavy action rods rated for 20-30lb line just isn't as fun as catching a fish on light tackle. I use Shimano Sienna reels exclusively on my ultralight rods.

When fly fishing, I tend to favor light rods also - 2 to 4 weight rods are my favs. They make little fish feel bigger, and I've caught a few 5lb bass with the lighter gear. THAT is a real kick :)

B
burnsbabe
Thanks guys. I haven't managed to get into fly fishing yet. Mostly because I don't have the gear and no one to teach me. It sounds like a lot of fun though. Glad to hear another good opinion on that Shimano reel though. As I said, I like my rod, but I think the reel's up for replacement soon as I have the cash.

S
Spydeyrch
burnsbabe said:
Thanks guys. I haven't managed to get into fly fishing yet. Mostly because I don't have the gear and no one to teach me. It sounds like a lot of fun though. Glad to hear another good opinion on that Shimano reel though. As I said, I like my rod, but I think the reel's up for replacement soon as I have the cash.

I don't know what type of rod I have, I found it in my dad's garage and he didn't want it. I think it is a Shakespeare (sp?) and the reel was completely shot on it. So I bought a little $15 reel from Bi-mart. Okuma I think. I threw either 2lb or 4lb test line on it. The rod I think is like 5 foot? It isn't taller than I am and I am 5'9'. It casts a good distance even with a small spinner on it. I love using it when I go trout fishing!! (But not s much as my fly rod!!!! :) )

As far as the fly fishing goes, I didn't and still don't have anyone to teach me but I got into it. I am doing pretty well so far. I have the basic cast down to where I can get out .... I dont know .... something like 35 or 40 feet. Maybe a little further, maybe a little less, not exactly sure. I am still working on my roll cast thought as that needs some major work!!! hahahaha I got my fly rod for $100. It is a 5wt, Echo Solo, three piece. It comes with a sock and a carrying tube. Very light, so far casts well in my opinion (but I am far from being a good judge of that still), and I like it. It bought everything else here and there.

So the moral is, if you want to get into fly fishing, if you are interested in fly fishing, I would say go for it!! :) :clap: Even if you don't have a tutor. :D

But back to the subject at hand (sorry for thread hijacking). I love using ultra-light gear. good stuff and still catches fish. And what a blast when you have a nice big trout or bass on the end of it!

-Spydey

C
cookshot
Its the only way I fish for bass! Ugly stick 4'8" is pretty essential where I fish because of so much brush. I've landed some pretty good fish on 4 lb test trilene. I did replace the reel, started out good, but needed a new one after a few seasons. It's what I plan on catching that million dollar fish swimming around in Hagg lake on ;)

brandon4455
brandon4455
i use to have a 7ft ultralight for the purpose of throwing small spinners and spinnerbaits at smallmouth in the willamette..i miss that rod caught many 3-4lb smalleis on it

T
Texas Basser
Ive been getting around the stuck on bank without access thing by using 10lb braided line but has the dimensions of a 3 lb line. It's light enough for small spinners but heavy enough for a TX or Carolina rig...

R
ryan808
I have a custom XMG50 blank just for UL purposes, we'll several of them, :lol:. Its a one power with a fast tip and I got it strapped with a Diawa Advantage 2000. The reel is a little too big for a UL setup, but I just love the feel of those spinning reels.

For casters I got a 7'2" XMG50 that strapped with a Sol.

J
jpjule
Ultralight is the way to go. Fighting a solid bass with 2lb test can't be beat. I do end up losing quite a bit of tackle do to snags and the occasional extra feisty fish though.

B
burnsbabe
I seem to be losing more tackle than I'm used to as well. It could just be that I'm rusty. Also, it's easier to solve that sort of problem with a boat. You can get on the other side of rocks you're snagged on and such. Still, I can't complain.

Spydeyrch, I think you and I have VERY similar rods. I'm only 5'4', and my rod is shorter than I am as well. It's a Shakespeare, as I said and quite small. The sections between the last and second to last, and the second to last and third to last eyelets are clear while the rest of the rod is the standard black.

J
jpjule
burnsbabe said:
I seem to be losing more tackle than I'm used to as well. It could just be that I'm rusty. Also, it's easier to solve that sort of problem with a boat. You can get on the other side of rocks you're snagged on and such. Still, I can't complain.

Spydeyrch, I think you and I have VERY similar rods. I'm only 5'4', and my rod is shorter than I am as well. It's a Shakespeare, as I said and quite small. The sections between the last and second to last, and the second to last and third to last eyelets are clear while the rest of the rod is the standard black.

I have two of those rods and I like them. They are great for smallies and also for tossing 1/16 oz roostertails for trout.

brandon4455
brandon4455
let me tell you though, there is nothing like having a 4lb smallmouth nail your spinner on an ultralight rod and 6lb test. the fight is crazy

B
burnsbabe
That's the idea Brandon. Even the decent but average fish become a challenge, am I right?

J
jawjacker
When I was a kid first getting into bass fishing I used my trout rod 1 of those 6 foot bright yellow eagle claw ultra lights and a little silver quantum reel that I had spooled up with 6lb. test and I used to t-rig a weightless 4" electric blue curly tail renagade worm and work it slowly accross the surface and catch all kinds of bass. Any thing over 3lbs. seemed to always get away but thats what got me hooked on bass fishing was tearing um up on a lil ultra light. I used to refer to the technique as the dragon fly pattern it seemed to work most of the summer from what I can remember.