Light trout gear

K
koboabe
what # rating do you guys run for your trout rods?

L
liquidplumber
6lb lost too many big fish on 4lb.I also have a 175yd spool so I don't have to go any bigger test line. Use good line ,not the cheap stuff.Good luck

C
Combat Chuck
4# Berkley Trilene XL

T
Troutier Bassier
6Lb. with 8Lb Main.
8Lb Leader in streams with 12Lb main, (Steelhead)

T
Troutier Bassier
Wow, 2 Posts at the same time

D
Drice
I run 4# on a 7 ft light action rod with a somewhat light drag and have caught some pigs 22 incher out of Crane Prairie is my biggest to date. I usually loose em due to the hook gettin tossed ( probably cause the loose drag) rather than break offs.

Last edited:
J
joesnuffy
6#main
4#leader

T
Troutier Bassier
Lol, My biggest was 28Inch on 4Lb. Very fun.
You can use 4Lb if you hvae a lot of line I guess.

J
JAYDEE
I generally use 6lb maxima ultra green for the main line and use 4lb maxima leader

C
Cake
I'm a fly rodder. I use a 6', 2 wt. for small streams and
a 71/2', 4 wt. for most everything else except steelhead, I use an 9', 8
wt. for them.

H
halibuthitman
my last two steelhead were on a 4lb maxima leader, and I hate the crap... but you can't argue with qaulity line, I like the trilene in 6# most of the time. But Im tryin out p-line next.

F
FishSchooler
You fishermen won't believe what I use... ;) 12 lb main (due to 1 reel for like 5 different species...) maxima UG and 6 lb flouro leader and it still catches fish!

K
kornphlake
I've been catching fish on 4# Trilene XL, I haven't been trying for anything too big though.

S
steelhead_stalkers
2lb p-line fluoro! 4lb sometimes but after using it for steelhead off and on this winter it seems like overkill for trout. :)

T
Troutier Bassier
I never knew they Even made 2Lb.

D
Drew9870
6lb test is basically all purpose line to me, but if you will be trolling I would recommend you bump it up to 8lb or make sure you have a good amount of line on the reel because of the fact if your trolling and you hook something big, you're already going to have quite a bit of line out.

If I am fishing at Detroit, I mostly use a 2lb leader, but 4lb will also do the job.

S
steelhead_stalkers
CFX Fluorcarbon Leader goes down to 2 lb! When I mess around with 1 lb occasionally it is very hard to fine and most of the time you have to use fly line tippet. Last year my brother in law tried out the 1 lb at Diamond for a while. He was out fishing everyone but getting them all the way in was very difficult, its like hair! :D

D
Drew9870
steelhead_stalkers said:
2lb p-line fluoro! 4lb sometimes but after using it for steelhead off and on this winter it seems like overkill for trout. :)

How many yards of 6lb would you recommend for a Steelhead in a moderate flowing River (N. Santiam). I have about 3 dozen rod/reels (brand new, oldish:D, and ancient:lol:) but I use an old Eagle Claw Featherlight for just about everything, and it has a Quantum reel that holds (I believe) atleast 150 yards of 6lb, and I respool it about every 3-4 weeks.

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
light gear...

light gear...

4# leader 6# main line, with a 7 foot light weight spinning rod and reel. The great thing about light tackle is when you do and you will catch a larger fish with this set up; it will really test your equipment and skills. Quite the rush....

Chuck