Lifeless body found at Riverfront Park 4/17/11

D

Drew9870

Banned User
I was headed to Riverfront for the second time today, just as we got on the road, my buddy told me that we might not be able to fish because they were pulling a body out of the Willy between the bridge leading to the coast and the new walk bridge that used to be a railroad bridge. Just as we pulled in, it was quite obvious once we saw the 5 cop cars that something was going on, we walked onto the bridge and on the East side of the river was a body floating along the shoreline caught in an eddie, a fire department boat was sitting about 40ft downstream, I assume it was there in case the body washed out of the eddie. I was looking through binoculars, and could tell the body had bruising and was starting to bloat (he was shirtless), not sure if it was mud or decomposition, but it looked like blood covering his back.

After about 30 mins, the Polk County Sheriffs boat pulled in, set the body bag on the back of the boat, scooped the body into the bag, zipped her up, and went back to the Wallace Boat Ramp.

I am not traumatized, I do know there are soul-less bodies in this world so it isn't something that shocks me, not a cold person just my state of mind.

Prayers to the mans family.....

B

Bad Tuna

I'm sure he was a jumper. In my profession, I see them too often. Sorry you had to see it

troutdude

troutdude

That's really terrible. I had a doctor once, who jumped too. I didn't see it, but felt the pain nonetheless. It's a real shame when that happens. Prayers to / for the family.

O

Outdoor_Myers

wow my wife works real close to there about what time was this? I don't like suicides they are messy and selfish, I've seen a lot of gruesome stuff but I would be so ticked off if my kid was to be fishing and seen a body float up. now euthanasia is a different story I totally 100% agree with euthanasia if someone is in so much pain day in and day out and nothing will ever allow them to fully function like they once did a peaceful calm way to go beats a long agonizing death. but when someone who doesn't have the will to move on and live and they take the cowards way out and might cause pts to onlookers or the individual who finds the body is a scumbag. im not saying anything about this guy but in general way know if your going to do it be respectful take a cyanide pill or something less messy and not in public light.

D

Drew9870

Banned User
Obviously when people commit suicide, they are not thinking about anyone elses feelings, so to get mad at the person who dumped the body or the person who jumped/drowned does no good, they are generally cold people or like you said in too much pain, whether it is a murderer or a suicide jumper.

The body looked like it had mud all over the back, or blood, I am wondering if he hit a mud bar while drifting or someone dragged him by the arms/legs across the mud and tossed him. Maybe he was dead on shore lying on his back and the water got high enough to wash him out. He also had yellow/blue bruising on his hip, possibly decomposition. His pants/underpants were past his bottom section, thankfully (for spectators) he was belly down in the water, so either he dived head first and his shorts fell, or once again, possibly dragged across land by his arms.

There is a lot that could have happened, maybe he was drinking and depressed, maybe he was a victim of a crime, we would have to see the body up close to do forensics.

G

GraphiteZen

wow my wife works real close to there about what time was this? I don't like suicides they are messy and selfish, I've seen a lot of gruesome stuff but I would be so ticked off if my kid was to be fishing and seen a body float up. now euthanasia is a different story I totally 100% agree with euthanasia if someone is in so much pain day in and day out and nothing will ever allow them to fully function like they once did a peaceful calm way to go beats a long agonizing death. but when someone who doesn't have the will to move on and live and they take the cowards way out and might cause pts to onlookers or the individual who finds the body is a scumbag. im not saying anything about this guy but in general way know if your going to do it be respectful take a cyanide pill or something less messy and not in public light.

Wow, great post. I'm feeling suicidal, I'll just march on down to the drug store and get a cyanide pill. Do you really think you have any idea what you are talking about?

O

Outdoor_Myers

Wow, great post. I'm feeling suicidal, I'll just march on down to the drug store and get a cyanide pill. Do you really think you have any idea what you are talking about?

actually yes I do when in 8th grade my neighbor shot his brains all over his living room while I was walking in with his mom helping her carry in grocieries. it was messy and brain all over the place she may have never recovered. and ya I know you can't go out and buy cyanide but you can make it rather easily. 2nd there are a lot of "cleaner ways" of doing a dirty job. I just have no empathy for people who end their life because it got too hard ie failed marriage, lost of children, socially ousted, financial destruction I wonder and most of the time there is warning signs that people just dont look for. and then sometimes there is none, only true way of finding out is to know what has transpired in recent history of the individual and try to work on any trama the kin may have. everyone suffers a lost in sometime during their life and if they can't overcome those obsticles then they are weak willed and so they end their own life, what gets me intrigued is the chemical imbalance that allows them to mentally override their survival instincts can't think of the name of it on top of my head.

G

GraphiteZen

actually yes I do when in 8th grade my neighbor shot his brains all over his living room while I was walking in with his mom helping her carry in grocieries. it was messy and brain all over the place she may have never recovered. and ya I know you can't go out and buy cyanide but you can make it rather easily. 2nd there are a lot of "cleaner ways" of doing a dirty job. I just have no empathy for people who end their life because it got too hard ie failed marriage, lost of children, socially ousted, financial destruction I wonder and most of the time there is warning signs that people just dont look for. and then sometimes there is none, only true way of finding out is to know what has transpired in recent history of the individual and try to work on any trama the kin may have. everyone suffers a lost in sometime during their life and if they can't overcome those obsticles then they are weak willed and so they end their own life, what gets me intrigued is the chemical imbalance that allows them to mentally override their survival instincts can't think of the name of it on top of my head.

Your entire attitude sums down to a single question: You don't give a rats ass about them, what they have been through and what they are going through, so why should they care at all about how you feel or what you will experience upon being exposed to the situation? You want them to just go away quietly so you don't have to deal with anything personal, no matter the reasons as to why they are killing themselves in the first place. That, my friend, is a selfish attitude.
As far as suicide is concerned, in reality, you know very little as your entire thought process pertaining to that type of situation insulates you from ever being exposed personally to the environment. Your entire belief is based upon speculation and self-righteousness.

O

Outdoor_Myers

Your entire attitude sums down to a single question: You don't give a rats ass about them, what they have been through and what they are going through, so why should they care at all about how you feel or what you will experience upon being exposed to the situation? You want them to just go away quietly so you don't have to deal with anything personal, no matter the reasons as to why they are killing themselves in the first place. That, my friend, is a selfish attitude.
As far as suicide is concerned, in reality, you know very little as your entire thought process pertaining to that type of situation insulates you from ever being exposed personally to the environment. Your entire belief is based upon speculation and self-righteousness.

um 8th grade i had brains splater all upon my face and clothing, I have seen a few suicides and witnessed them. I had friends in high school whos parents where getting a divorce so the father came home shot the mother the oldest daughter then himself simply because my friend and sister where at work when he started the shooting. so ya when someone ends their life in a non honorable way for an easy out so they dont have to deal with their emotional psychological state of mind they are meaningless to me but it does raise my curiosity to the questions what drove them to that state of mind that is so debilitating they are allowed (our brains work in a way that we must prolong our lives to in order to reproduce and raise our young when drugs are admitted into the body they through off that chemical balance and allows us to go against our nature. some say sociopaths are born without that function but i can't think of the name for it and its driving me crazy!) anyways I feel bad for their family its not something to easily get over it may haunt them if they feel guilt for not seeing the signs for not reaching out and what not, I know that feeling and I wish no one would ever have to go through it.

O

Outdoor_Myers

Who says all sociopaths do bad things? there are well over 1.5 million people in the usa who are "sociopaths" meaning they have some kind of damage to their frontal lobes that impair their emotions. so it is possible those who commit suicide may have sociopaths tendencies where they have or feel no remorse or that the remorse/guilt is an overdose to their mind that they end their life (not all sociopaths are emotionless some have the complete opposite to where their emotions are so great and overwhelming they shut themselves down mentally and physically. some are even able to learn emotions but not feel them, like most of us if we are unhappy about something or someone yet we smile and say hi we hide our true emotions they can do the same someone who is very apathetic might come off as a sociopath because they don't show their true emotions. its like growing up and fighting with your parents that you dont want to go to church on sunday want to stay home and watch cartoons and you are crying but once you get to church to save face you smile and nod to people and interact even when you dont agree about having to be there. Like me I'm very apathetic but at the same time im very empathetic its just really hard for me to express my feelings doesn't mean I dont have them, it just means sometimes I just dont care and most of the time i will say that but other times I am busy analyzing things and trying to comprehend than i am to show my emotions i tend to lock up and come off as very apethetic but I have other ways to show my emotions.

D

Drew9870

Banned User
I believe the point is..... Who are you to tell people how they should euthanize themselves? Why even point out other ways to commit suicide? You make it sound like their first resort to cure their pain/numbness is to do it quietly and alone, if you wanted to sound like a caring human being, you would recommend they get help from someone that can recognize and diagnose mental issues and possibly give them a chance at having a normal, pain free life.

To go out in public and give your opinion on human euthanasia is sick honestly, what you may have seen in your past should have nothing to do with ''how people should kill themselves'', I am sorry for what you had to see, you are 1:1,000,000,000+ people who have witnessed such a situation that someone should not have to witness.

I believe when we go, we were supposed to go, each and everyone of our death dates is stamped on our foot, I don't believe in accidental death. If I were to be murdered tomorrow or tripped and hit my head in the right spot, I would believe my card was dealt.

Last edited:
O

Outdoor_Myers

I believe the point is..... Who are you to tell people how they should euthanize themselves? Why even point out other ways to commit suicide? You make it sound like their first resort to cure their pain/numbness is to do it quietly and alone, if you wanted to sound like a caring human being, you would recommend they get help from someone that can recognize and diagnose mental issues and possibly give them a chance at having a normal, pain free life.

To go out in public and give your opinion on human euthanasia is sick honestly, what you may have seen in your past should have nothing to do with ''how people should kill themselves'', I am sorry for what you had to see, you are 1:1,000,000,000+ people who have witnessed such a situation that someone should not have to witness.

I believe when we go, we were supposed to go, each and everyone of our death dates is stamped on our foot, I don't believe in accidental death. If I were to be murdered tomorrow or tripped and hit my head in the right spot, I would believe my card was dealt.

1)st I would like to point out I was compairing two different forms of euthinasia

2nd) I would like to point out I did make a comment about people not realizing signs of mental distress that could lead to suicidal tendencies after all I can't recomend a dead person to mental aid.

3rd) the fact is most of us that are affected by the aftermath are blinded until it actually happens then its too late to do anything

4th) most suicides lead to someone who then might suffer from pts

5th) someone can care and still be upset after all that is an emotion we all face, and to state one's opinion on such a touchy subject it doesn't mean I'm a horrid person or lack emotions the fact is complete oposite I love life and cherish life and I only want to protect youth from having to witness such a horrid sight. Imagine having to explain to your child the difference between and old person dying and one covered in blood and brains. I still get quizy over the sight of human blood even a little drop but have no effect on animal blood.

B

Bad Tuna

I think what some seem to forget is that we all see/ deal with death differently. I've been on the scene of no less than 50 suicides in my career, I've seen at least 50 fatal accidents, some involving children. Dealing with children is always tough. For adults, you become desensitized to death, some even joke about it. There are even books on how to do kill yourself correctly. Suicide is sometimes a matter of guilt, but often depression/mental illness. In my experience, there is little you can do to "help" them, usually it just delays their attempt. I agree with Meyers, these people are selfish, if they are going to do this, the least they could do is spare their family from seeing it. There is no excuse for someone to kill themselves where their kids will find them.

F

fishy4

sad

sad

this is a very harsh reality in this world. prayers for the family. as stated before no words for some of the crappy commenting.

Top Bottom