Let's talk Alsea

jamisonace
jamisonace
I don't travel outside my comfort zone too often but I do enjoy exploring new rivers now and then. Most of my "new river" experience is on the North coast for fall chinook but I've dabbled on the Siletz, Nestucca and Wilson for winter steelhead a time or two. I have a kid in Corvallis now and would like to check out the Alsea from my drift boat.

I've spent some time bank fishing the Alsea and explored it a little but not much. One time I went there specifically to fish it but I had no idea what I was doing. This was around 2006 when I was still an Elitist Fly Fisherman (insert eye roll here). It was a total waste of time. Then there was the time, not long after that, we were camping in Waldport with neighbors. Not sure what time of year it was but I know there were fall salmon in the river. Again, had no idea what I was doing. We heard that bobber fishing was a thing so we geared up and found a likely spot. It's embarrassing to describe how we were bobber fishing but essentially we had everything rigged correctly except we were only using some small split shots to get down when we needed at least a 1/2 ounce probably. LOL There were fish rolling all around and we never stood the slightest chance. The last time I fished it I knew what I was doing but I only had an hour or so to explore. I was on my way from Coos Bay to Corvallis to pick up my boy and brought drift fishing gear looking for an early steelhead or maybe a coho. I ended up catching a bunch of cutthroat and one huge, old Chinook that never gave me an inch before I ripped the size 2 hook out. Had him on for a few minutes though, so that was fun. So that's my Alsea resume'.

I'm curious about two things:

First of all, what floats do you like? Meaning from what ramp to what ramp.

And what water level is best for that float?

Thanks in advance and if you have any super secret secrets you want to share via pm, I'm happy to swap knowledge about my rivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gfisher2003 and troutdude
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Fish where caught today believe it or not with these water levels!

C_Run
C_Run
I can't help much since I only floated it once in a driving rain and got skunked going from a dirt ramp above 5 Rivers to another dirt ramp above Mike Bauer. I do like it for bank access and in a boat you have a lot of choices. Dropping into the Rock Crusher hole was exciting. I think I got 10 gallons of water in my lap! Good luck.

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude
jamisonace
jamisonace
C_Run said:
I can't help much since I only floated it once in a driving rain and got skunked going from a dirt ramp above 5 Rivers to another dirt ramp above Mike Bauer. I do like it for bank access and in a boat you have a lot of choices. Dropping into the Rock Crusher hole was exciting. I think I got 10 gallons of water in my lap! Good luck.
I can put at least that much water in your lap on the Elk. But the Rock Crusher sounds like something I need to know about before floating. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude
P
pcstock
jamisonace said:
I don't travel outside my comfort zone too often but I do enjoy exploring new rivers now and then. Most of my "new river" experience is on the North coast for fall chinook but I've dabbled on the Siletz, Nestucca and Wilson for winter steelhead a time or two. I have a kid in Corvallis now and would like to check out the Alsea from my drift boat.

I've spent some time bank fishing the Alsea and explored it a little but not much. One time I went there specifically to fish it but I had no idea what I was doing. This was around 2006 when I was still an Elitist Fly Fisherman (insert eye roll here). It was a total waste of time. Then there was the time, not long after that, we were camping in Waldport with neighbors. Not sure what time of year it was but I know there were fall salmon in the river. Again, had no idea what I was doing. We heard that bobber fishing was a thing so we geared up and found a likely spot. It's embarrassing to describe how we were bobber fishing but essentially we had everything rigged correctly except we were only using some small split shots to get down when we needed at least a 1/2 ounce probably. LOL There were fish rolling all around and we never stood the slightest chance. The last time I fished it I knew what I was doing but I only had an hour or so to explore. I was on my way from Coos Bay to Corvallis to pick up my boy and brought drift fishing gear looking for an early steelhead or maybe a coho. I ended up catching a bunch of cutthroat and one huge, old Chinook that never gave me an inch before I ripped the size 2 hook out. Had him on for a few minutes though, so that was fun. So that's my Alsea resume'.

I'm curious about two things:

First of all, what floats do you like? Meaning from what ramp to what ramp.

And what water level is best for that float?

Thanks in advance and if you have any super secret secrets you want to share via pm, I'm happy to swap knowledge about my rivers.
Well isn't this rich.

I asked on jamison's Personal Best thread "what river" he caught a fish on. That resulted in a flurry of complaints headed my way. I wasn't looking for spots, holes, mile markers etc. I was just genuinely curious.

And now he is asking for WAY more info than asking what river a fish was caught on. Pot kettle anyone?

A few quotes from Jamison:

"I'm [sic] my experience, the guys that know the least share the most."

"In my opinion the internet has ruined dozens of our streams and rivers in Oregon. Every jackass that doesn't know what he's doing chases a report. Maybe he gets lucky and gets a fish but most likely he just clogs up holes and makes it impossible for fishermen that know what they are doing to fish the best water. It happened to me today."

"the only thing worse than people that give out all their secrets are the guys that have to try to guess."

"Ask all the questions you want, just don't get butt hurt when people don't want to give up intel."

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
@pcstock This is exactly the same situation. I'm such a hypocrite. You got me.

Reactions: Socaaron
P
pcstock
Hi Jamisonace. All jokes and whatnot aside. I am sure we would enjoy a beer together, or a fishing hole.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Midwinter.

Reactions: gfisher2003
jamisonace
jamisonace
Shaun Solomon said:
Midwinter.
This rain has to stop! The river juuuuust about gets into shape and boom! Totally blows out. I'm checking the weather app every 5 minutes.

Reactions: gfisher2003
S
Snopro
Reactions: Shaun Solomon
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Dont overlook blown out rivers the steel hug the sides!

jamisonace
jamisonace
GaryP1958 said:
Dont overlook blown out rivers the steel hug the sides!
No thanks. You can have it.

Reactions: O. mykiss
jamisonace
jamisonace
I found this river map this morning. I wish it showed where the boat ramps are but I know I have a couple books with those. I figured I'd put it on here in case anyone finds this thread searching for Alsea info. This post turned out to be kind of a dud but it did have the unexpected benefit of getting @pcstock 's panties in a wad.

I'll post more as I get my float plan figured out.

• Alsea River Map.jpg
hobster
hobster
I’ve had a good amount of luck bank fishing winter steelhead up there but have never floated the Alsea, thus no help.

jamisonace
jamisonace
hobster said:
I’ve had a good amount of luck bank fishing winter steelhead up there but have never floated the Alsea, thus no help.
I just read in "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon" that it is one of the best bank fishing rivers on the coast because of access. I see all the ramps but I'm always a little hesitant to just go without knowing river obstacles. The 100' slide at Missouri Bend sounds fun.

C_Run
C_Run
There is a narrow rapid below Missouri Bend you can see from the road. It's fishy down there, though.

Reactions: jamisonace