Lemolo Lake during hunting season Fall 2022

MT_dirtbag
MT_dirtbag
Howdy All,

Been a long time lurker and figured it would be more engaging and fun to actually participate in some fishing discussions.
Originally from Montana so I'm a trout enthusiast by trade. Preference to fly-fishing, but always packin' a fresh water oozie(spinner) as well.

Plannin' a weekend trip to Lemolo. I know hunting season opens up but was wondering what to expect during the fall? Will mostly be in the streams, but wasn't sure on regs if spawn was going on. Would love to land a big ole' brown, but won't have a boat - well, maybe a canoe. Assuming hunters will be in the primitive spots, so maybe secure a campground spot? We'll have a pooch with us so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Was looking at some creeks dumping into the N. Umpqua, but also the lake creek(SE zone) area.

Thanks for any tips/info.

Also, is there poison oak prevalent in those creek areas? Figured it be too high up for that, but not sure. Only been to Lemolo one other time and we were catchin' a buzz and not many fish :)

Cheers,
M

troutdude
troutdude
Glad to see you sign up. Welcome aboard.

Lemolo has a fantastic population of Browns. The main secret is to fish EARLY in day; or LATE in the day. They are largely nocturnal feeders. And you'll want to find some Tasmanian Devil lures to cast and retrieve.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Reactions: MT_dirtbag
MT_dirtbag
MT_dirtbag
Glad to be part of the discussion. Have heard about these Tasmanian lures. Can you get them at the resort?

Thanks troutdude!
Report to follow

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
It would not surprise me if they carry them at the resort. I first learned about those lures, from the resort owner's web site several years ago. I bought some 2 years ago, and a lake resort not far from there. So it's very likely that Lemolo's resort will also have some. They can be jigged too.

Vintageflyguy
Vintageflyguy
Try some streamers - like game changers - fished like a bass lure = also Castmasters twitched erratically - same with Taz devils - good luck

Reactions: MT_dirtbag and troutdude
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Lake Creek has some pretty good brook trout fishing also. Easy bank access and there are several roads and trails that will get you there.

MT_dirtbag
MT_dirtbag
Thank you for the input guys!

Fummus
Fummus
I saw that Idyld trading post, just east of Glide on 138, had them for $6.50 each. Looked like they had a fare selection. Not sure how it would be without a boat, but if it was me, I'd definitly spend some time fishing the arm where lake creek dumps in.

MT_dirtbag
MT_dirtbag
Update:
Fishing was a little slow last weekend. We ended up catching about a dozen or so rainbows. No Browns whatsoever. Saw a few surface in the evening, but we were only successful trolling. Mostly/All hits were on brass spoons and or brass zonker flies.

The lake is much lower than it was a month ago. Launching from the Poole Creek Campground as the other ones were too low(minus the KOA campground). Didn't get to fish much of the inlet to Lake Creek, but water was so low and we were in a drift boat, so we just stuck with the boat and couldn't get into the shallow ends. Next time I'll make an effort to just focus on the lake creek area.

Also, does anyone know where Kelsay Creek is? Can't find it anywhere on a map, but there was another OFF thread about fish being up in that channel.

All in all, it was fun. We pretty much had the best primitive camp spot we could've asked for. Great weather and the fire ban was lifted, so enjoying some caveman TV(campfire) was nice after a long day out on the water.

Thanks for everyone's input and for the welcoming info!

Reactions: troutdude
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Glad to hear that you found some fish.

I am not sure where Kelsay Creek is, or if there is a Kelsay Creek. There is a Kelsay Point and a Kelsay Valley. They are both up the North Umpqua arm to the east of Lemolo. There is a neat little horse camp up there at the confluence of the trail system to get up to Maidu right next to the North Umpqua. That might be the area and arm that was being discussed.

jamisonace
jamisonace
TheKnigit said:
Glad to hear that you found some fish.

I am not sure where Kelsay Creek is, or if there is a Kelsay Creek. There is a Kelsay Point and a Kelsay Valley. They are both up the North Umpqua arm to the east of Lemolo. There is a neat little horse camp up there at the confluence of the trail system to get up to Maidu right next to the North Umpqua. That might be the area and arm that was being discussed.
I've always wanted to hike up to Maidu. Do you know if that is the best access?

I just checked it out on Google Earth. Now you have me really interested in camping at Kelsay and hiking to Maidu. Is fly fishing allowed on the North Umpqua above Lemolo?

Last edited:
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
There are two ways to get to Maidu that I have used. I am sure there several more. You can either start from Kelsay Valley, or from Miller Lake. If you go from Kelsay it is a little over 8 miles with somewhere around a 2,000 ft elevation gain to get to the lake. If you start from Digit Point Campground at Miller Lake it is about a 3 1/2 mile hike with somewhere in the 550 ft elevation gain. They are both fairly nice and easy hikes I would say. Going in the Kelsay Valley route is longer, but you are never far from the North Umpqua.

As far as fly fishing goes, yes you can. The way that I understand it is you can use whatever method you would like as far as bait, lures, or flies go once you are above Tokatee. As for the feasibility of fly fishing it isn't to bad. It is kind of hard to get a good long cast, but you also don't really need to since the river is pretty small once you get up the trail.

Reactions: MT_dirtbag and jamisonace
Top Bottom