Legal or not

B
bigdog
Ok so I always thought this was ilegal but was told it's not. People ar taking spinners or what ever and reeling them to the tip of the poll, then putting the poll in the water and wating for a fish and when they open the mouth they hook it and land it. I have seen people doing this at EC in the log jams and I'm not talking 1 or 2 people we are talking about groups of them. Was told its called force feeding them and that it is not ilegal.

This isn't my way to get in to fish and legal or not I wouldn't be doing it but really would like to know if "force feeding" is legal or not. It seems a lot like snagging to me the only diff I see is your snaggingin the mouth.

CJ

M
Mike123
What's the poll?

kirkster
kirkster
bigdog said:
Ok so I always thought this was ilegal but was told it's not. People ar taking spinners or what ever and reeling them to the tip of the poll, then putting the poll in the water and wating for a fish and when they open the mouth they hook it and land it. I have seen people doing this at EC in the log jams and I'm not talking 1 or 2 people we are talking about groups of them. Was told its called force feeding them and that it is not ilegal.

This isn't my way to get in to fish and legal or not I wouldn't be doing it but really would like to know if "force feeding" is legal or not. It seems a lot like snagging to me the only diff I see is your snaggingin the mouth.

CJ

I'm not sure but its kinda along the same lines as snagging a broken leader thats hooked in the mouth. Weather its legal or not legal I'm not a 100% sure. In my book its all about fair chase. If my offering didn't entice the strike I wouldnt take credit for the fish. Point is a fish in the mouth is a fish in the mouth. I think its more ethics than anything just my 2 cents

B
bigdog
Mike123 said:
What's the poll?

Your fishing poll, rod, stick, what ever you want to call it.

G
GDBrown
Snagging by any other name!!!

Snagging by any other name!!!

Snagging by any other name is still snagging!. It is no different than using a gaff pole with a trebble hook on it. I would call the SP and let them deal with it.

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole!:lol::lol::lol:

GD

M
Mike123
bigdog said:
Your fishing poll, rod, stick, what ever you want to call it.

Hahaha ok now I get what your talking about. Pole. Yes. :lol:

How the hell do you get your pole near a fish without spooking it?
I've heard a lot of spinner snagging has been going on down on the Sandy.

T
Thuggin4Life
Force feeding my a**. Sounds like snagging.

M
metalmania
GDBrown said:
Snagging by any other name is still snagging!. It is no different than using a gaff pole with a trebble hook on it. I would call the SP and let them deal with it.

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole!:lol::lol::lol:

GD

Personally, I think OSP should be spending there time protecting elk, deer etc. not hatchery ho's. OSP is spread thin and doesn't need to be wasting time trying to stop what they never will. It sucks this crap happens but I haven't, nor will I ever call osp to deal with EC snaggers. As for is it legal, well technically it's in the mouth, just like flossing, which is apparently legal. Like Kirkster said, it's about ethics.

A
Anyfishisfine
For me the meat is absolutely secondary to the thrill of having mastered the art of catching and landing a fish.

If I were that all-consumed with getting salmon on the table I'd just stop at Safeway on the way home.

Even if it were legal, it would provide me with no joy or sense of pride.

T
tnffishman
I saw the OSP pulling a group of 6 guys out of a loh jam at bonnie lure on wednesday who were netting fish.

As for force feeding I have seen it done many times down there, and have seen guys get busted for it, unfortunately only a few get busted

M
metalfisher76
Don`t know if it`s legal or not, but it`s a big part of why I don`t fish spots like that. I`m out to relax, get outdoors, enjoy a buddies company or the insane (in the membrane) thoughts in my head all to myself. And just maybe get a fish to bite and fight. I would have a very hard time keeping my mouth shut. Berating, bashing, just 2 words that jump in to mind.
90% of the guys that fish the washougal for fallies(tules) proclaim that they don`t bite>????? Even when I bring a 20# in on an 8wt that`s bleeding out from taking the fly so deep, "nice line job with that fly rod" is what you`ll hear and the place erupts with redneck cackles. I don`t even begin to understand the logic. Other than it`s justification for there poor skills and ethics. I assume the same kinda thinking is going on with the a-holes at bonnie. FISH BITE! Ask a fisherman, he`ll tell ya. Those guys are NOT fishermen!

B
bigdog
Yeah they do bite its just a matter of finding what they want to bite. I still don't think they strike out of wanting to eat but more because they are mad that something is in thier path to where they are going, or by force of habit to try to smash some eggs.

Right now I'm trying to decide on where to go this morning to **** some fish OFF. Thinking of the way low on the sandy to see if any fish pushed thier way in from the mouth after this rain we got. Any one know if the rain brought the river up at all?

A
alm21
bigdog said:
Right now I'm trying to decide on where to go this morning to **** some fish OFF. Thinking of the way low on the sandy to see if any fish pushed thier way in from the mouth after this rain we got. Any one know if the rain brought the river up at all?

They are getting up there. I fished the Dodge Park area Friday and there are definitely some new ones in there. I think if you hook into one now, it's a 50/50 chance that it will be a bright.

T
troutmasta
I couldn't go home at night and truly feel like I had accomplished something if I caught it that way. Thats crap if you ask me.

P
pdx89
I agree that OSP have bigger things on their plates... than cohos that are running in a record run and hatchiers are alomost full... as told by diffrent agancies that deal with fishing, after a while the fish(salmon) drop into the food category, espicially when its all red-sidded and dark... then they dont care, its food fish. hatchries got what they need and there is still plenty of fish to go around... is it worng or right, well thats up to each one.. just a thought:)

M
metalmania
pdx89 said:
I agree that OSP have bigger things on their plates... than cohos that are running in a record run and hatchiers are alomost full... as told by diffrent agancies that deal with fishing, after a while the fish(salmon) drop into the food category, espicially when its all red-sidded and dark... then they dont care, its food fish. hatchries got what they need and there is still plenty of fish to go around... is it worng or right, well thats up to each one.. just a thought:)

Yep, it sucks it happens, but OSP has better things to do. The only reason there's a lot of police presence at popular snagging spots is cause they need more money bad. It's easy to make a lot writing tickets all day over scanning miles of forest tryin to find one lawbreaker. OSP needs better funding, then things might start to change.

B
bigdog
I never said I wanted to call OSP on them for it just was wondering because I have heard from one person that it's ilegal and from another that it's legal. So I'm just wanting to know what is true. Myself I would be worried about snapping my rod or something trying that. That or falling in the water. I have a hard time crossing some of the log jams to get to the holes let alone trying to fight a fish on one.

D
drownworms
ok so im new to this whats th ec log jams