Left handed vs right

S
Sparklemaker
Why wouldn’t I dig up some bones here? I know that this is an age old controversy but I’m curious about the thoughts of some real fishermen about the right vs left debate. So I believe that I may have been born a south paw but a severely broken left arm at a very young age may have contributed to my being a righty as an adult. Example: When I shoot pool I automatically shoot left handed. Same with a rifle. I am left eye dominant for sure. Other than that I am right handed. Yesterday I traded a right handed spinning reel for a left handed Convector CV 20 DLX. I pondered the trade before shaking hands, (we shook right hands BTW). When I was holding the reel and imagining it being on a rod, I realized that the spinner I was trading had the handle on the left side as well. I had never thought of that fact. Have any of you ever rolled the dice and switched over? If so, did you regret it?

P
pinstriper
This is all a matter of personal preference. There is no "right" or "better" answer.

It is situational for me.

For spinning reels, everything is left hand retrieve. I am right handed and while I can cast a spinning reel with my left, it is awkward for me.

For baitcasters, all my kayak rods are left hand retrieve. Partly for the same reason - casting with my right and cranking with my left is more natural. And the rudder control on my kayak is on the left, so it is better to take my hand off the crank and adjust the rudder than my right hand that is managing the rod direction and tension.

However, on a drift boat or motorboat where we are not casting but instead pulling plugs or backbouncing bait, or for trolling I prefer right hand retrieve.

Reactions: Sparklemaker
Irishrover
Irishrover
All my level wind reel are right hand retrieve. Spinning reel and fly reel are left hand retrieve. On the level wind it is easier for me to control the drag and the release lever, I only use them for trolling so there is no casting involved. The fly reels and spinning reels are set up for casting and being right handed I use my right arm to cast.

Like Pinstriper said there is no right or wrong.

Artwo
Artwo
Being right handed I prefer to reel with my left hand and fighting fish with my dominate hand. Casting is another reason, I'd rather cast with my right and not have to switch hands. Once left handed reels came out on level winds I switched everything over to left hand retrieve....

bass
bass
Irishrover said:
All my level wind reel are right hand retrieve. Spinning reel and fly reel are left hand retrieve. On the level wind it is easier for me to control the drag and the release lever, I only use them for trolling so there is no casting involved. The fly reels and spinning reels are set up for casting and being right handed I use my right arm to cast.

Like Pinstriper said there is no right or wrong.

I am right-handed and my I have everything set up the same way @Irishrover does. I think it is because I am old and that is how reels were sold. I am not sure why spinning reels were left hand retrieve and cast reels right hand retrieve but that was the norm back in the seventies. My brother is left-handed and he would hold his spinning reels upside down and reel backwards with his right hand. I have to say it was kind of embarrassing to fish with him :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sparklemaker and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
My gramps gave me my first rod and reel. It was a DAM Quick 330 reel, left hand retrieve. Even though I am right hand dominant; that is how I learned to fish. I've tried a right hand retrieve reel a few times over the years. And I just can't do it. I'm too used to casting with my right, and reeling with my left. The same holds true for all types of reels, for me. They all have to be left hand retrieve .

My advice? Just do what works best for you. Everyone is different.

Last edited:
Reactions: EOBOY and Sparklemaker
B
BrandonBeach
For me:

Fly reel, left
Spinning rig, left, (but have used a LARGE rh spinner)
Level wind, either works fine. If casting I just do a quick switch to other hand.

No wrong answers here, just personal preferences.

BB

bass
bass
troutdude said:
My gramps gave me my first rod and reel. It was a DAM Quick 330 reel, left hand retrieve. Even though I am right hand dominant; that is how I learned to fish. I've tried a right hand retrieve reel a few times over the years. And I just can't do it. I'm too used to casting with my right, and reeling with my left. The same holds true for all types of reels, for me. They all have to be left hand retrieve .

Yes. I was thinking on this a bit more and the funny thing is that the old spincast reels (Zebco, etc) were all (and I think still are) right hand retrieve. I am not sure why that is the case. I made a weak Google attempt but could not find anything solid as to why spinning reels all used to be left-handed and spincast right-handed. Maybe there was a law: If the reel hangs under the rod reel with your left, if the reel is on top of the rod reel with your right.

A
Anotherdude
I am developing carpal tunnel in my right hand and as a righty, it's getting difficult to hold the rod with my right hand for extended periods of time. I might be making the switch to left handed reels, but it honestly doesn't matter to me. In the end, I will still cast with my right and as long as I can pull that fish in, who cares what hand I use.

EOBOY
EOBOY
troutdude said:

Those Dam Quicks were the best reel ever made! IMO!

S
Sparklemaker
EOBOY said:

I have a Quick 330 freshly serviced and just waiting for line. Had a 110 but it mysteriously disappeared. ?

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Personal preference, I'm right handed and reel everything left handed.

troutdude
troutdude
EOBOY said:

Indeed! I agree. Built like a tank. Made to last. Sadly my first rod n' reel have been in the bottom of Blue Lake (next to Suttle Lake). Since the mid 80's, when we flipped a canoe. And they call it BLUE lake for a REASON!!!

Quick's were reversible from right to left. There used to be an old timer with a fishing shop, on Oakridge. That dude had DOZENS and DOZENS of all of their various models. And I found a left hand retrieve DAM Quick Redman DS200L level wind a few years ago. At an antique shop in McMinnville. Though it's a much more modern reel. I've never seen another one. So I grabbed it! Along with the 6' Browning Silaflex tubular glass rod, which it was attached to.

Anyway...we have hijacked this thread. So that's where I'll leave it.

Last edited:
waterdog
waterdog
Any funny the Quick reels from yesteryear had only 1 bearing I believe!