Leave the McKenzie the way it is

D
Derek
Well it looks like the Guides and fly fisherman are tryin to screw up another good fishing area. They already screwed up trail bridge which used to be a good place to take kids to fish but not many kids can fly fish. Now they want to make the leaburg area the same way lures only all it's doing is screwing the kids out of being able to toss out a worm and catch a fish. Im not saying all fly fisherman are bad it's mostly the guides that want people to pay to have to fish. Most guides I have seen are the worst people on the water they will move right into a hole you are fishing so they can make a buck. They have the whole lower stretch of the McKenzie just stay there.

M
mlw
The proposal is simply to stop planting the Mckenzie and manage it for wild fish, including a bait ban (as it inevitably kills wild fish). As far as I know the guides Assn. is against this proposal (uncertain how it would affect their livelyhood) and it is supported by those who like to fish for wild fish.

I whole-heartedly support this proposal. I fished the Mckenzie for several hours a couple days ago, and caught 3 hatchery fish, all 9" or under. These fish (which I released) will not live to grow larger, most hatchery fish do not live more than 2-3 weeks in the wild (hence the frequent plantings). Prior to planting, before 1920, 3-4 and up to 6 pound Redside trout were common, and could be again. The Redside is adapted to live in the Mckenzie, planted fish are not.

This is not rocket science - we need only look to our neighbor Montana to find proven examples of management that works; for the fish, those who fish, and those who benefit directly and indirectly from the tourism dollars that a quality fishery brings.

There are only straw arguments against this idea. Some are rooted in a nostalgia for a time when we blissfully harvested our lands bounty without regard for consequences, some in a misplaced (or rhetorical) argument that somehow our children will miss some essential rite of passage if they are not allowed to kill planted trout in the Mckenzie. There are other, more kid friendly venues. Better, I think, that we teach our children responsible stewardship of our natural treasures.

For those who would insist on hatchery trout I have a simple solution - just hand them out, skip the part about putting them in the river where they harm our fishing, our local economy, and our wild fish.

Michael

K
kornphlake
This doesn't involve fishermen or hatchery workers, it's politicians who had nothing else to debate now that unemployment in the state is at the lowest rate in history and the state budget has a surplus of funds, the politicians are moving on to he trivial matters such as these just to keep busy through the fall. ;)

I voted but it was a drop in the bucket, I either need to move to a different state or raise my kids right and pray that in their lifetime things will some how get better.

Last edited:
D
Derek
People saying that there are no big redsides anymore Need to expand where they fish I have caught a couple up by the Good Pasture bridge (Steelhead Size) And about 4 others the same size between Balinger and Hayden. Yes they don't have to plant it twice a week but the thing that pisses me off the most is the Bait restriction. The planting ya do whatever but leave the bait restrictions the way they are. I don't keep planters either unless it's a hatchery steelhead or salmon but trout no I throw them back. I just enjoy seeing kids have fun and be able to catch fish. Not all kids can run a lure or cast a fly my son is 5 and he enjoys being able to bait his own hook with a worm and catch a fish.

J
JeannaJigs
I do understand that there needs to be a place to bait fish...but in just my lifetime...I have seen the wild fish populations drop, and drop...I can't say that I wouldn't like to see most of river be restricted to artificial only. There are places to take kids, such as alton baker, and junction city, and other places. I fished these when I was a kid, and loved every minute of it. They there for kids. However, I don't want wild fish to be completely wiped out in another 10 years because there was no management. Trailbridge is a roaring success in that they have effectively restored an eco system, though it's not fully restored, and has a long way to go, the wild bull trout are making a slow comeback, which would not have been possible where powerbait and such allowed.

We need to not think about the now, but the future when it comes to wild fish management. I'd rather sacrifice a little now on my part, for a more bountiful population years down the road.

D
drownworms
theyve already admitted the damns are screwing it up.They have the tech to make them 1/3 the size and pump out 2x the power which would not block the whole river.Increased spawning area.The damn would pay for themselves.
just like electric cars are new."bull"tesla did it and his car only needed a nearby powerline.The vehicle would pull the electricity through the air to the vehicle.Get bored look it up.
Damns are Bad