Learning to fish in Oregon

A
asgoodasitgets
New to the state from Idaho....well sort-of. Been here 3 years but my kids are finally old enough I can sneak away and go fishing by myself every once in a while.

I took a look at the fishing regs and honestly they look a little overwhelming. Just was wondering if anyone could fill me in on some easy spots to go close by to Baker City (within an hour) besides the 203 pond. Mostly shore or stream fishing. I am confused by the stream fishing rules and how in some places you can use live bait and in others you can't. I am open to any type of fishing.

Thanks!

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF. I've never been that far east; so I'll defer to others with some tips.

Thank you, however, for asking about the regs. The reg regarding live bait usage is in place; to protect native species from invasive ones. Invasive species, wreak havoc of the eco-systems of those streams. In turn, the native species can be GREATLY, and ADVERSELY affected.

So please obey, such a law. It is in place, to prevent harm to native populations. In fact without such restrictions, many fisheries would be destroyed (by the introduction of invasive species, who then reproduce in those very streams).

By the way, "artificial flies and lures" also means that you are NOT allowed to use any artificial baits either (like plastic worms).

Good luck out there. Let us see some reports, and pics.

A
asgoodasitgets
I realized after I posted this I should have posted in the the southeast zone. But actually I'm interested in any of the eastern part of the state so that works too.

I am always really careful to follow regulations, I guess that is why I have been intimidated before to start fishing in Oregon. Seems so much more complicated but I understand the reasoning for it.

Thanks for the response!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome aboard! A person can go cross-eyed trying to figure out all those regulations! I suggest becoming acquainted with folks at local fly/tackle stores, just don't be all creepy about it. :sad: :D Don't be shy about stopping to talk to folks when you see cars parked by rivers and streams. Most of the time you can get a ton if information, especially if you let them do all the talking.

troutdude
troutdude
Take a look at the John Day River, Owyhee, and Grande Ronde.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
asgoodasitgets said:
New to the state from Idaho....well sort-of. Been here 3 years but my kids are finally old enough I can sneak away and go fishing by myself every once in a while.

I took a look at the fishing regs and honestly they look a little overwhelming. Just was wondering if anyone could fill me in on some easy spots to go close by to Baker City (within an hour) besides the 203 pond. Mostly shore or stream fishing. I am confused by the stream fishing rules and how in some places you can use live bait and in others you can't. I am open to any type of fishing.

Thanks!

Welcome to OR and OFF! Quick trick to the regs. is that for any Zone, the "Regulations For This Zone" are in place everywhere in that zone except for all the specific locations listed under "Special Regulations". For example, SE Zone Regs. say no bait in rivers/streams for trout in the SE Zone but under Special Regs. I see Burnt River listed as allowing bait and 5 trout daily and opens April 25. So for the Burnt river, the Zone Regs. are overruled just for those 3 items. cheers, roger

D
DonF
Oregon rules are made to make money for Oregon. In Oregon on the same water, the rules change depending on which two rocks your standing between! Darn pamphlet, call it that, for fishing and hunting looks like one of those big copy's of the Holy Bible!

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
S
Snopro
DonF said:
Oregon rules are made to make money for Oregon.
How so?

Crayfishy
Crayfishy
DonF said:
Oregon rules are made to make money for Oregon.
Aren't pretty much all rules that way in the US?

Reactions: DonF