Leaders/Tippets..

E
eggs
Cabelas brand alright or stick with brand name line?? They are having a good sale online right now for these items.. 3-6 bucks for a 4 pack w/ a good size and lenght options..

imo mono all about the same these days.. I have caught the same amount of fish on cheap 6lbs mono as I have on brand name 6lbs mono with no noticable difference other then the price tag.. BUT that was spinning gear not tappered stuff..

B
bigsteel
yea theyll work fine,,,3 to six bucks a four pack is a great deal........what size you lookin at getting,,,,for trout i go with 3 and 5x........for steelhead i do what metalfisher suggested,,,,,,heavy mono to lighter mono to lighter mono in three sections.....i have yet to get a steely on the fly but tippet makes me nervous if i had an 8 or 10lber on,,,,,mono seems to be stronger plus your usually nymphing so it works great/

Irishrover
Irishrover
Three to six bucks for a 4 pack is a great deal. They usually run nine+ bucks for a three pack. I'm going to order some of those up pronto. Thanks for the heads up!

Bigsteel I'm still working on getting that steelhead on a fly too. I've got three pieces of water to work on to get it done. The Sandy, Clackamas and Eagle Creek. Guess I'd better get at it!;)

I ordered 3 4x and 3 5x. With eight bucks for shipping it worked out to right about two bucks a leader. If you order less than that the freight eates up the savings.

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
2 bucks a leader,,,,im getin some

M
metalfisher76
Tapered leaders and flouro are needed for top water trout (or steel for that matter) feeshin and that`s it, INMHO. When steely fishin, like bigsteel said, your essentially nymphing no matter what fly ya have on, dredging your fly cause that`s where the fish are. 6-10 lb mono is all good. I prefer Maxima UG It`s not that expensive and it`s tough as nails.
I`m sure it`s just my opinion and not all fly guys, but $2 a pop is :shock: a bit rich for my blood. But I don`t do trout/top water stuff:)

E
eggs
99% of my fly fishin will be for trouts.. i plan on yelling "bite my fly" each time i 'set' hook in one!

Irishrover
Irishrover
Two bucks a pop is cheep for leaders for dry fly trout fishing. You need those tappered leaders when you are tying a size 18--22 size fly on. Hell with my eye sight now what I really need is for someone to tie them on for me.:D A three pack of 4x climax is $9.25, a 3 pack of Rio is $9.50 at the store or fly shop. A 4 pack of 4x cabelas was $6.99 (cabelas and climax are the same thing) which is $1.74 a leader pluss freight. I extend the life of those leaders by adding tippet as time goes by. It's cheeper than a cheese burger.;)

For steelhead I run (depending on water condition) 10lbs Maxima Ug straight to the butt line off my sinking tip. If I don't loose a flie or two in the bottom, then I worry that I'm not getting deep enough. So I think we are all on the same page here.

Last edited:
C
Cake
Furled leaders, I make my own and would use nothing else.

I never look at the price of the FC line I use so I don't know what they cost.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Cake said:
Furled leaders, I make my own and would use nothing else.

I never look at the price of the FC line I use so I don't know what they cost.

I have heard furled lead are quite the thing and once you have used them is hard to go back. Depending on what you by they run from $6.75 to $12.50 a piece. So I guess making your own is the way to go. Perhaps if you had time you could post how you do it in the home made tackle section. It could be very interesting and doing something different can be fun.

C
Cake
Most of the ones I use are six feet long with a three to four foot tippet. I use Berkley

Vanish fluorocarbon 4# most of the time, but have many that I use for dry fly fishing

that are made of silk, you can pick that up at any good sewing store. I have used fly tying

thread also and it works just fine. The silk and tying thread take fly floatant much better.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Thanks I'm going to give this a try.