Leader types

K
ketts05
Hey I'm not sure if this has been addressed before. I hadn't seen it. Does anyone have any opinion on leaders? I doubt that there is a huge difference but I dunno. I'm still new to this and I have been fishing climax leaders since I started and I seem to break off a lot of the time, between fish and snapping my leader by casting too quickly. Is there a leader out there that is a little bit tougher until I have developed better technique?

T
the_intimidator03
well right now i use the stiff butt section of an old tapered leader. To the i have a double uni knot connectiong a length of 6 lb flurocarbon. I need to change out for a thinner butt section. As far as leaders its still a confusing territory for myself. If you can tie a nail or blood knot i would run say a 15-20 lb mono in about 2 or 3 foot section off your fly line and to that step down to a 4 or 6 lb mono or flurocarbon.

M
metalfisher76
ketts05 said:
Hey I'm not sure if this has been addressed before. I hadn't seen it. Does anyone have any opinion on leaders? I doubt that there is a huge difference but I dunno. I'm still new to this and I have been fishing climax leaders since I started and I seem to break off a lot of the time, between fish and snapping my leader by casting too quickly. Is there a leader out there that is a little bit tougher until I have developed better technique?

Whatca fishin for? At any rate use the nail know for yer butt section. I use maxima UG for dredging. If yer top waterin it go with seagaur or p-line. If your not top water, "I" truly believe flouro is NOT needed. Maxima in 4-12lb will handle anything from trouties to nooks.

E
everett464
For Trout, I almost always use a 4x tapered leader, or a 3x if I am doing heavy nymphing or hopper-dropper setups. I get very few issues.

I am not sure your breaking issue could possibly be a result of your leader specifically.

Some questions: what type of rod are you using? What are you casting? If you are tossing heavy flies with an eight weight rod, and 4x leader, you are going to have issues. Similarly, if you are using an ultra-fast rod, you need to bump up you leader strength.

My personal opinion, is that tapered leaders are so cheap, that I have never had a desire to tie my own leaders, although I have had to improv some leaders on days where I snapped off up high, and didn't have any extras.

I think it's important to remember that you don't ever want to squeeze a chunk of leader section in between two fatter pieces of line. For instance, if you are using a 4x leader, and 3x tippett, you need to make sure that you do not leave the skinny end of the leader on; just clip it high enough that your leader is fatter than your tippett at your tie in point. Of course, I would be unhappy about cutting off the bottom 3 feet of a nine foot leader, so I think it's much better just to have some 3x tapered leader in your vest.

M
Mike123
If the water isn't gin clear I'm using PLine CXX... the **** is tough as nails and blends in with the water amazingly!!
If the water is gin clear I'm either using Ultragreen or Pline Flourocarbon(NOT Flouroclear!)