leader line

R
ryemery
Here is a question. What do you think the best leader line out there is?

K
Kodiak
best

best

Best is depending upon application. I'm assuming OFF the bank for steelies. For low water, summer steelie drifting I use 6# maxima UG.

B
BobberDown
i would agre with Kodiak it depends what you are doing I love
P-Line CX-Preum in Moss Green summer steel i run 8 to10 the CX has a lot smaller diamiter than maxima 12 pound CX is like 10 pound maxima so i run 8 because it has the same a the 6 pound maxima but i am running 10 pound CX for my main line to i the summer and 12 in the winter and 12 for coho and 15 for springers but i have talen a few springs on the 10 with an 8 pound leads heck i dont know i love the CX it has realy inpressed me over the last 3 yers or sovery good knot strenth and abrashoin resestance just like maxima only a litte thiner diamiter and a little bit limper than the Ultra green making it a very good choice for a spinning reel or a casting reel but ideal for leaders it is smaller so youcan go a little heaver but still stay low profile but i did fish maxima for most of my life so i do sey if you dont like P-line and some people dont go with ulta green but the CX Preum is not like any of the other P-Line out there it is a lot like the Ultra Green it evan looks identical just a little skinnyer oh and CX is a mono coated with florocarbon so you get the strenth ofmono but the disaperance under water like floorocarbon or so they say but i dont know i just know it works well

Just remember no mattr what line you choose to check your leader after each snag or every 10 cast or so for nicks or knotes if you are running long leaders and rite above your leader on your main line to and change it after every fish i can tell you how many times i lost my secont fish on the same leader coho fishing and it was always broke soewhere in the snell knot. you never know when your goin to hook that over size fish over a life time and one nick could cost you that fish of a life time. line is cheap and it only takes a minute to retie and i can be the differance betwean landing fish and loosing fish i have sean that time and time agin hell it cost me a 50 pound nook about 5 years agoi will never make that mistake agin i didn't think anything of that nich in my leader and that is rite where it broke i was targeting 15 to20 pound nooks or atleaset thatwas al we where hooking so i did not think the big fish where tere yet i was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it broke my hart at the time but good leason leaned write???????????????????????
i hope this helps you guys not lern your lesson like i did
good luck Dan

B
BobberDown
man i need to start makeing smaller post these must be boreing as hell to read i guess i am a
rambler

Y
youngbuck307
s**t on eagle this year iI tied up a leader and when I tightened my knot it nicked my line a lil because it didn't tighten right. I said o well and keep fishing well hooked and lost my first fish because of that... never will it happen agen...

Last edited by a moderator:
B
BobberDown
are you weting your knots ?????????? i dont do it with the knots and line i use but with some it is a must dan

M
Mike123
Easy.

Clear to slightly stained water I'd use P-Line CFX flourocarbon.

Stained to dirty water I'd use CXX, it's a co-polymer that is the toughest line out there. 8lb. test is like close to the stregth of 12lb mono. I've used 12lb CXX and literally couldnt break it when I snagged up. I'm going to use 12lb cxx on Springers this year.

S
steelhead_stalkers
BobberDown said:
i would agre with Kodiak it depends what you are doing I love
P-Line CX-Preum in Moss Green summer steel i run 8 to10 the CX has a lot smaller diamiter than maxima 12 pound CX is like 10 pound maxima so i run 8 because it has the same a the 6 pound maxima but i am running 10 pound CX for my main line to i the summer and 12 in the winter and 12 for coho and 15 for springers but i have talen a few springs on the 10 with an 8 pound leads heck i dont know i love the CX it has realy inpressed me over the last 3 yers or sovery good knot strenth and abrashoin resestance just like maxima only a litte thiner diamiter and a little bit limper than the Ultra green making it a very good choice for a spinning reel or a casting reel but ideal for leaders it is smaller so youcan go a little heaver but still stay low profile but i did fish maxima for most of my life so i do sey if you dont like P-line and some people dont go with ulta green but the CX Preum is not like any of the other P-Line out there it is a lot like the Ultra Green it evan looks identical just a little skinnyer oh and CX is a mono coated with florocarbon so you get the strenth ofmono but the disaperance under water like floorocarbon or so they say but i dont know i just know it works well

Just remember no mattr what line you choose to check your leader after each snag or every 10 cast or so for nicks or knotes if you are running long leaders and rite above your leader on your main line to and change it after every fish i can tell you how many times i lost my secont fish on the same leader coho fishing and it was always broke soewhere in the snell knot. you never know when your goin to hook that over size fish over a life time and one nick could cost you that fish of a life time. line is cheap and it only takes a minute to retie and i can be the differance betwean landing fish and loosing fish i have sean that time and time agin hell it cost me a 50 pound nook about 5 years agoi will never make that mistake agin i didn't think anything of that nich in my leader and that is rite where it broke i was targeting 15 to20 pound nooks or atleaset thatwas al we where hooking so i did not think the big fish where tere yet i was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it broke my hart at the time but good leason leaned write???????????????????????
i hope this helps you guys not lern your lesson like i did
good luck Dan

Man I almost stopped breathing reading that thread!!!!!!!!! No periods makes for having to take a long breath before and after reading!! :lol: :lol:

B
BobberDown
Mike123 said:
Easy.

Clear to slightly stained water I'd use P-Line CFX flourocarbon.

Stained to dirty water I'd use CXX, it's a co-polymer that is the toughest line out there. 8lb. test is like close to the stregth of 12lb mono. I've used 12lb CXX and literally couldnt break it when I snagged up. I'm going to use 12lb cxx on Springers this year.

we put that 12 pound CXX on a line tester it brok at 23 pounds ad it did nt brake at the knot ether they hae a line tester at fishermans in Oregon cities they will do knot testand line test if you ask but very tuff stuff grate on a casting reel i did not like it on a sping reel though but super strong good post
Dan

B
BobberDown
steelhead_stalkers said:
Man I almost stopped breathing reading that thread!!!!!!!!! No periods makes for having to take a long breath before and after reading!! :lol: :lol:

sorry i will try to work on that it has never bean my strog suit spelling punchuwashon but i am a fishin fool
thanks Dan:D:D:D:D:D

A
ArcticAmoeba
Sufix Siege is by far the best leader material out there. It has been the most consistent leader I have used since I started fishing with UG. P-Line is all dependent on which factory, and what time of year the line was produced. Also which chemical supplier they recieved their products from. It is the one gripe about P-Line that I have. It is never as good as it could be with proper quality control, and environmental management. Some spools are great, but many I have purchased were absolute garbage. Their customer service sucks too. Sufix has righted every problem I have had with two spools of line. One direct replacement, and another coupon good for any spool of mono, or Co-po I choose. Sufix Siege is a coated line, not a polymer coating, but better. You do need to double seat your knots, and wetting is all dependent on the angler. I do not wet a clinch, or a double overhand, the only two connenting knots I use regularly with the stuff. Never lost a fish to a knot failing on the Siege.

M
Mike123
BobberDown said:
we put that 12 pound CXX on a line tester it brok at 23 pounds ad it did nt brake at the knot ether they hae a line tester at fishermans in Oregon cities they will do knot testand line test if you ask but very tuff stuff grate on a casting reel i did not like it on a sping reel though but super strong good post
Dan

Wow! Me and my friend were thinking it was about close to 17lb.. but 23lbs!
WOW! That stuff is tuff! I really have no problem with it on a spinning reel.
I think it's a lot more limber then Maxima.. I think it's even more limber then most mono's.. I love that stuff. I've pulled large tree limbs out of the river with that stuff. :D
Thanks for the info!

B
BobberDown
ArcticAmoeba said:
Sufix Siege is by far the best leader material out there. It has been the most consistent leader I have used since I started fishing with UG. P-Line is all dependent on which factory, and what time of year the line was produced. Also which chemical supplier they recieved their products from. It is the one gripe about P-Line that I have. It is never as good as it could be with proper quality control, and environmental management. Some spools are great, but many I have purchased were absolute garbage. Their customer service sucks too. Sufix has righted every problem I have had with two spools of line. One direct replacement, and another coupon good for any spool of mono, or Co-po I choose. Sufix Siege is a coated line, not a polymer coating, but better. You do need to double seat your knots, and wetting is all dependent on the angler. I do not wet a clinch, or a double overhand, the only two connenting knots I use regularly with the stuff. Never lost a fish to a knot failing on the Siege.

see i have had the azackt oposite experance the rep from sufix gave me some 4 filler spools of siege about maybe 3 years agon andi had nothing but problims with is a lot of line twint and brakage do to it not haveing very good abrashoin resitance but know problems with p-LIne i go throught thousands of yards ofit a year betwean my and spooling up frends but but maybe the siege has goten better i dont know every one has there onw apinon and it is nice to here them all good post
thanks Dan

B
BobberDown
Mike123 said:
Wow! Me and my friend were thinking it was about close to 17lb.. but 23lbs!
WOW! That stuff is tuff! I really have no problem with it on a spinning reel.
I think it's a lot more limber then Maxima.. I think it's even more limber then most mono's.. I love that stuff. I've pulled large tree limbs out of the river with that stuff. :D
Thanks for the info!

ya no problem i would have not beleaved it if i did not see it with my own eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dan

A
ArcticAmoeba
Yeah the first time I used a Sufix product was in the Situk river. The brushiest damn river in Alaska. Broke off 10-15 fish for one to the bank/boat. It was not the same as it is now. The chemical process of coating the line has gone through a drastic transformation. Using high modulous, low mollecular weight chemicals since 2007 aparantly. Making it much better in the abrasion, and tensile strength department... And I had the Creeks biggest(weight, not numbers) run of Coho in years drag hundreds of yard of the stuff over rocks this past fall, and only lost a small percentage of them. Confidence catches fish, and we are confident in different products. As long as both of 'em catches a fish or two... Thats all I care about! Hahaha!:lol: And the line twist issue comes from the Siege. It is because of the high modulous coating. Making it rather rigid, but then again it was never designed to be used as a mainline. The Elite, and their Co-Polymer stuff stays attached to reels like glue though.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Bobberdown, I'm just giving you a hard time. :D You always have great information to give, just a little hard to decode sometimes ;)

B
BobberDown
ArcticAmoeba said:
Yeah the first time I used a Sufix product was in the Situk river. The brushiest damn river in Alaska. Broke off 10-15 fish for one to the bank/boat. It was not the same as it is now. The chemical process of coating the line has gone through a drastic transformation. Using high modulous, low mollecular weight chemicals since 2007 aparantly. Making it much better in the abrasion, and tensile strength department... And I had the Creeks biggest(weight, not numbers) run of Coho in years drag hundreds of yard of the stuff over rocks this past fall, and only lost a small percentage of them. Confidence catches fish, and we are confident in different products. As long as both of 'em catches a fish or two... Thats all I care about! Hahaha!:lol: And the line twist issue comes from the Siege. It is because of the high modulous coating. Making it rather rigid, but then again it was never designed to be used as a mainline. The Elite, and their Co-Polymer stuff stays attached to reels like glue though.

confidence is the most important thing for any fisher man out there you hit that nail on the head could not agree more well put
Dan:clap::clap::yay: