Leader For Driftin

F
FishSlayer420
Just curious whats everones preference for leader poundage when drifting for steelhead? I just want to know what everyones fav is.:think:

M
Mike123
In stained or green water I use 8lb. CXX Pline. Tough as nails.
In clear I would switch to 8lb flouro. Pline

F
FishSlayer420
Would you go as low as 6LB? I usually use 8LB myself but was thinking about trying this 6LB that i have just sittin around.

T
Thuggin4Life
You could use the 6lb around here for these little steelhead we get. I use 8lb but I use it for salmon as well. Plunking the Umpqua for winter steelhead I wouldn't use any thing less than 20lb but those fish down there aren't no joke. This guy uses 20-25lb leader.

F
FishSlayer420
Thats a hog fish. Is that where you and singh do your plunkn? Who is that guy? the one that writes down everything he uses and the day time and all that good stuff?

B
Bfishin
FishSlayer420 said:
Thats a hog fish. Is that where you and singh do your plunkn? Who is that guy? the one that writes down everything he uses and the day time and all that good stuff?
Ya that's Randy...Same hole where we go. He does get pretty crazy with all the stats and conditions down there, but he'll pull several of those pigs out a year.

F
Fishtopher
10lb Maxima Chameleon for driftin this time of year. But that scares me because of all the Springers in the water around here.

20lb Big Game for plunkin in the Big C.

T
Thuggin4Life
FishSlayer420 said:

That's one of the spots. No he don't don't write things down but he gets a little overboard on the whole fishing thing. Weather, moons, barometer, river levels, the fire, smoking fish, and even how he ties his rigs. It's my buddy's dad who Showed me how to plunk. That guy has got some pigs in his day.

K
Kodiak
6lb maximima UG. In late july I will run 3 ft. to get away from lead. For springers 10-15 UG..pendin how conditions are but have landed late springers on 6. Fall chinook in the tide water I run 20lb UG. Have hit fish WAYYYY over my line rating with it.