Leader and tippet help......

B
bristow
Hi my name is Eric Bristow and after six years I've decided to pick up Fly fishing again. After countless hours online found oregonfishingforum and thought you guys could help me. My Question is I'll be using WF5F/S line with a ten foot sink tip and have no idea what size leader and tippet to use. I'm very embarrassed to be asking such beginner questions but I want to do this right this time around. We live by the Williamson river just north of Klamath Falls and from my past experiences and other fisherman I've talk to, she's a tough nut to crack, so all the assistance I can get would be great. I'll be setting the rod up to throw wet flies (10-18 hook size) if that helps in determining leader and tippet size. Thanks.

Side note: I didn't see a section for the Williamson river?

brandon4455
brandon4455
welcome to OFF! as far as a section for the williamson there are few rivers not listed, so posting about thqat river should be posted int he section of the area it is in. sw or se i think? if you are fishign for the very large fish down there i recomend 3-4x tippet and a 9 ft tapered leader if you are targeting trout that are 20 inches and smaller go 5x tippet good luck!

Last edited:
B
bristow
Thank you Brandon! Please forgive me for asking, with a 9ft tapered leader I don't add tippet until line breaks or wares down, correct?

M
markasd
Yes use tippet. If your buying those things, this will help extend the life as well as let you dial in how big/small you want your tippet.

I would suggest trying to build your own leaders - google "leader formula spreadsheet" or I could email you the sheet I use. Saves a ton and you get good at your blood knots/surgeon knots...

M
Mad dog
bristow said:
Hi my name is Eric Bristow and after six years I've decided to pick up Fly fishing again. After countless hours online found oregonfishingforum and thought you guys could help me. My Question is I'll be using WF5F/S line with a ten foot sink tip and have no idea what size leader and tippet to use. I'm very embarrassed to be asking such beginner questions but I want to do this right this time around. We live by the Williamson river just north of Klamath Falls and from my past experiences and other fisherman I've talk to, she's a tough nut to crack, so all the assistance I can get would be great. I'll be setting the rod up to throw wet flies (10-18 hook size) if that helps in determining leader and tippet size. Thanks.

Side note: I didn't see a section for the Williamson river?

Lived in K-Falls most of my life and have fished the Williamson for years. With the high early season flows use 3X, 4X will get you through most fishing situations, late in the summer you might have to drop down to 5X if the flows go low enough. The fish see quite a bit of pressure on sections of the river and can get a bit picky late in the summer.

V
Van
The Williamson is one of the best trout rivers in the US. You are lucky to love so close.