Leaburg Lake

R

realradiobrian

Took my nephew up to Leaburg Lake from Eugene today before work.

He is six, but was too nervous for his own kayak, so we doubled up on mine. He had kayaked on his own at Fern Ridge last fall, but I guess too much time had passed for him.

The first thing I threw out was a brand new copper Thomas Buoyant. We trolled 10 feet before the first wack. My nephew reeled in a nice wild rainbow, though around 6 inches. It was a beauty though.

A quick cast to the deep behind me and we took off upriver. Again, maybe 20 feet and a nice catchable. Now, this is when my six year old nephew (wearing his pfd) realized that he could no longer see the bottom.

He sat down the rod in my lap to hold on to the kayak. I lifted the rod - no fish.

The wind picked up as noon approached making the water a bit choppy. We caught three more wild trout, lost four or so catchables at the kayak as my nephew learned the value of following through with focus.

There is a sandbar built up over a downed tree at the curve above the dam, which is where we lost the TB. Someone, who shall remain nameless, had set the drag all the way tight.

I put on a Lil Cleo silver spoon, and got ignored.

I put on a yellow Panther Martin and it was game on again. Wack. Wack. Wack.

All in all, when I noticed it was noon and I was going to be hard pressed to make it to work by 1:00 pm, my nephew said, "This was a great plan!"

I had planned the excursion after coming up blank at Goose Lake in Washington on Sunday. We didn't have my kayak there, the bank sucks, btw.