Lazy bird gets the worm!

M
metalmania
Started the day off at 5 am this morning for my first official trip to the coast:dance:. I was up for as long as it takes to throw an alarm clock across the room, then immediatly fell back to sleep:mad:. Woke back up at 8 for a second try. At this point I decided I didn't want to have to drive all the way to the trask and freeze my butt off, so I figured i'd give the clack a shot. On my way to the clack I decided it probably wouldn't be worth it to walk all the way to my winter steel spot, so I drove past and wen't up to Eagle Creek to chase the few late summers that are in there. I had planned on going to the hatchery holes to target the summers, but I didn't want to drive all the way up there so I wen't lower. At 10am I finally get to the water, and what do ya know there's a pair of nickle bright winters waiting for me at the tailout of the first run I come to:dance:. I spooked them at first, but luckily they stayed in the tailout and didn't continue downriver. I hooked the hen right off the bat, but she spit my fly after a quick deathroll. About 40 minutes latter I hook into the buck and after a pretty tense and exciting fight I get him to the bank and bonk him:dance:. Looks like this might be a pretty good year for winters:D.

S
skunk
Sweet story, that's how my trips usually start out but yours ended better than mine. Good job.

N
ninja2010
good job, man... they look nice and bright too.

i shoulda gone higher...

metalmania said:
...but she spit my fly after a quick deathroll

are you swinging flies?

M
metalmania
Nah Jimmy I was drift fishing them, but you can definitly use a fly rod up there:D.

N
ninja2010
good deal...

noob question: how can one tell if they're summers? are there any distinctive features to differentiate wnters from summers?

M
metalmania
ninja2010 said:
good deal...

noob question: how can one tell if they're summers? are there any distinctive features to differentiate wnters from summers?

It's pretty simple. The winters will be very bright while the summers will be dark and very colorful, with a deep red lateral line and rosy red cheeks.

T
Troutier Bassier
And how can you tell Winter Steelhead from Christmas coho?

By running your finger on there tail and if its smooth its a steelie.
:(

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Need a new alarm clock? Buy a rooster...

Need a new alarm clock? Buy a rooster...

metalmania;
Sounds like you had a few false starts,but once you got started..WHAM!! Good job and nice fish! Congrats! :clap: :clap:

M
metalmania
Raincatcher said:
metalmania;
Sounds like you had a few false starts,but once you got started..WHAM!! Good job and nice fish! Congrats! :clap: :clap:

Ya I was draggin #** this morning but i'm glad I made it out. That's what's nice about winter steelhead is you can hit the river at noon and still slay em.

Y
youngbuck307
was this at your privet property..... or the tail out of "THE HOLE"..... did you look around any more after you got him or did you call it a day after that?

C
Cohosanders
metalmania said:
Started the day off at 5 am this morning for my first official trip to the coast:dance:. I was up for as long as it takes to throw an alarm clock across the room, then immediatly fell back to sleep:mad:. Woke back up at 8 for a second try. At this point I decided I didn't want to have to drive all the way to the trask and freeze my butt off, so I figured i'd give the clack a shot. On my way to the clack I decided it probably wouldn't be worth it to walk all the way to my winter steel spot, so I drove past and wen't up to Eagle Creek to chase the few late summers that are in there. I had planned on going to the hatchery holes to target the summers, but I didn't want to drive all the way up there so I wen't lower. At 10am I finally get to the water, and what do ya know there's a pair of nickle bright winters waiting for me at the tailout of the first run I come to:dance:. I spooked them at first, but luckily they stayed in the tailout and didn't continue downriver. I hooked the hen right off the bat, but she spit my fly after a quick deathroll. About 40 minutes latter I hook into the buck and after a pretty tense and exciting fight I get him to the bank and bonk him:dance:. Looks like this might be a pretty good year for winters:D.

Were you fishing around Eagle fern park or on the otherside of 224?

L
lilsalmon
I am soooo jealous.... I love Eagle Creek...hence my pic.....good job and great story :D

M
metalmania
youngbuck307 said:
was this at your privet property..... or the tail out of "THE HOLE"..... did you look around any more after you got him or did you call it a day after that?

Ya I was on the private land today. There probably aren't many that have made it to " the hole" yet, but they'll be there in the next few weeks:dance:. My hands were so numb i decided to head for home after I got the buck. I spent a few minutes searching for the hen he was with so I could try to hook her again but she ran downriver:(.

M
metalmania
Cohosanders said:
Were you fishing around Eagle fern park or on the otherside of 224?

I was on some private land about 2 miles up from the 224 bridge.

Y
youngbuck307
lol i just remember how you always told me to look for them in that tail out.. maybe ill see if my brother is bored and want to get cold with me... i mean a line wet lol

C
Cohosanders
I know where your talking about. Good times and good looking fish. I want to take Ninja out there so he can put one down before the years end. I have access to a private area on the Clack about a mile upstream from the Carver bridge.....I think that might be a nice place to go with the rain that is expected;)... but if they are up there already the rain could push them even closer to the hatchery..no??? so many place to fish:clap:

M
metalmania
youngbuck307 said:
lol i just remember how you always told me to look for them in that tail out.. maybe ill see if my brother is bored and want to get cold with me... i mean a line wet lol

Ya man they love to hold in tailouts and froggy water when the waters as cold as it it. Make sure to layer up, it's rediculosly cold out there! I might be out there sometime this week if you want to wet a line and freeze your arse off:lol:?

M
metalmania
Cohosanders said:
I know where your talking about. Good times and good looking fish. I want to take Ninja out there so he can put one down before the years end. I have access to a private area on the Clack about a mile upstream from the Carver bridge.....I think that might be a nice place to go with the rain that is expected;)... but if they are up there already the rain could push them even closer to the hatchery..no??? so many place to fish:clap:

Last year they closed the ladder so the fish couldn't make it to the hatchery. If they do that this year then they'll just stack below the falls and either get caught or rot.

B
bigdog
metalmania said:
Last year they closed the ladder so the fish couldn't make it to the hatchery. If they do that this year then they'll just stack below the falls and either get caught or rot.

Why did they close the ladder? Are they still talking about stoping the steel runs on the eagle?

S
sandyboy
Thats a awsome fish.can't wait too get my first one this year.

Last edited: