Law on Retaining Natives

D
Drew9870
When ODFW states specifically in the regulations, Open for Spring Chinook __/__, does this necessarily mean you can keep natives? I really don't mind smoking a hatchery fish to save a native, but if it is all I am going to catch one day on a coastal river, I need to go home with something when legal.

Otherwise, it seems they state, open for adipose fin-clipped ____.

H
halibuthitman
why do you need to go home with something?

W
waco
halibuthitman said:
That is a very good and true point!!! most of my best fishing stories (not very many)came when i have to release the fish back to the water!!!

T
the_intimidator03
to answer your question I would believe that YES you could bring a native home given there is nothing in the general regulations for the zone OR special regulations for the particular area. I would double check with ODFW or OSP.

As for the other comments i dont see why we should question the motive behind the question. I mean each their own and we all have our opinions about it. Personally I release a lot of what I catch. By no means do I think the person next to me should have to do the same. ODFW gives us rules to live in... id rather he live within the rules than outside the rules.

Reactions: chris61182
M
markasd
It's truly a bummer that we have that mentality in a day we know salmon to be struggling... Gotta ink one somehow though.
Like the Siletz hog springers - all nates, unprotected. Granted there are very few, unfortunately not protected yet.

C_Run
C_Run
I am pretty sure that when they say "open for adipose-fin clip...", like for steelhead on some of the small coastal streams, the implication is that it's ok to fish catch and release for the natives. Many of the streams so listed aren't going to have any clipped fish at all or only the rare stray since they do not plant hatchery fish in those places.

I'd prefer to take home something every time but, unfortunately, that's not how it goes a lot of the time. I prefer to fish where there is the possibility of taking a legal fish. Got no problems releasing those that are required by law to be released. It's still a good day fishing.

M
Mad dog
1W on the appropriate harvest card.

Clocked this one with the Louisville slugger yesterday!
001-7.jpg

R
RunWithSasquatch
That is awesome:clap:

B
bigsteel
halibuthitman said:

was wondering thee same thing,

R
RunWithSasquatch
For the most part, if its legal, its dead. I enjoy having fish in the freezer.

R
Razz
My granddad and Dad always needed too bring something home sooooo it's my RIGHT . This is not my belief .

R
RunWithSasquatch
Back when my grandad was a "sportsman" I am pretty sure that what he believed was his right to hunt and fish was blurred out of reality of management. Over harvest from most was pretty common.

H
halibuthitman
Razz said:
My granddad and Dad always needed too bring something home sooooo it's my RIGHT . This is not my belief .

I couldn't agree more, it is your RIGHT.. just don't understand the "need" part.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i just like to pluck the hatchery fish out for the most part. if i catch one native and let it go ill be happy that i caught a fish. i get even more satisfaction knowing i let a native fish go and it will possibly spawn. but im a native trout fisherman...i'm use to doing c&r and coming home empty handed.

D
Drew9870
I was hoping it would not turn out this way, why don't you go complain to ODFW, it does no good to fork your opinion out vs. the law. Telling me what is right and wrong does no good, there are still 1000's of others signed/not signed on this forum that are keeping native fish that no one can stop, I am the least of your worries.

No different than me getting butthurt over someone snagging Carp and doing whatever they do with them, it is Legal.

Wow, hardly got one answer out of that.

H
halibuthitman
Drew9870 said:
I was hoping it would not turn out this way, why don't you go complain to ODFW, it does no good to fork your opinion out vs. the law. Telling me what is right and wrong does no good, there are still 1000's of others signed/not signed on this forum that are keeping native fish that no one can stop, I am the least of your worries.

No different than me getting butthurt over someone snagging Carp and doing whatever they do with them, it is Legal.

Wow, hardly got one answer out of that.
the answer to your question is in the phrase you just typed... call ODFW, you actually gonna take someones word for it off a forum? kill all the natives you want Drew, I don't care.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i hope you didn't take that the wrong way drew.. i'm not bashing on people who keep natives i just said that like to release them for the most part.

M
mrlindeman
Open for finclipped unless otherwise stated Drew. I called ODFW to make sure because I was curious too. Hatchery fish are known as put and take. They are a sportfish. To catch and release is awesome, but being able to take one home to familly is very rewarding as well. Not a need. If folks can't reply to a thread without answering a question with another unhelpfull question, then its probably a good idea just to keep that comment to yourself. A simple question was asked, and yet another un-needed, and very easily interpreted as rude reply was posted as apposed to a suggestion or answer.

I know I dont know too much about fishing but I try and have learned a lot here. It was a good question no matter whom it would have come from. Sorry for the Hijack buts lets crack a beer, or snapple or something and get back on a positive track here. :)

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
NIce fish maddog! I take anything home i can for the most part whenever possible. BUt i also dont have epic days of c and r very much.

M
markasd
Take home what you want Drew - far as I can tell your the one got butt-hurt here. I at no point said not to kill em did I? I even pointed out the Siletz UNFORTUNATELY does not protect these fish, geee - maybe that means these are some that are still fair game.

If you were that unclear, you should have called ODFW before asking folks on the internet.

Reactions: brandon4455 and JeannaJigs