Laurence Lake

D
donb
Went to Laurence Lake above Hood River on Monday. Great little lake, artificial lures and flies only, fin clipped only, electric motors ok. I had my pontoon and motor and headed across the lake pulling a green wooly bugger and had constant hits, but was only hooking about 1 of 4. Caught and kept 4 twelve inch planters which I had on a stringer. The resident bald eagle saw my fish and swooped in for a closer look. I heard the whoosh of the wind through his feathers and spun my head around as he was about five feet from me making a sharp turn. He didn't get my stringer and I shortened up the line on it so he wouldn't be tempted again. He continued to hang out in a tree along the South bank waiting for one of the five or six guys fishing to get a fish on, then he would try to steal it off of their line. Saw him get one, which he promptly ate. Switched to dry flies and had a take on almost every cast for the next two hours, what a blast.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Heads up!....I mean down?

Heads up!....I mean down?

donb said:
Went to Laurence Lake above Hood River on Monday. Great little lake, artificial lures and flies only, fin clipped only, electric motors ok. I had my pontoon and motor and headed across the lake pulling a green wooly bugger and had constant hits, but was only hooking about 1 of 4. Caught and kept 4 twelve inch planters which I had on a stringer. The resident bald eagle saw my fish and swooped in for a closer look. I heard the whoosh of the wind through his feathers and spun my head around as he was about five feet from me making a sharp turn. He didn't get my stringer and I shortened up the line on it so he wouldn't be tempted again. He continued to hang out in a tree along the South bank waiting for one of the five or six guys fishing to get a fish on, then he would try to steal it off of their line. Saw him get one, which he promptly ate. Switched to dry flies and had a take on almost every cast for the next two hours, what a blast.

donb;
Welcome to the forum family. Thanks for the great report! Sounds like you had a great day on the water. Gotta watch those eagles and osprey,they are crafty and fast as the wind. Glad you kept your head down. You will fit right in here with reports like this one. Good to have you on the roster.
Be safe.
Barb

O
OnTheFly
donb said:

donb, Nice to hear a report like that. Amazing eagle action! Make sure a camera and binoculars are included in your gear!

I have fished Laurence before and had great fishing success. I usualy start with an olive woolly bugger pattern myself. They work so well that it was all my son would ever use. It took me years to ween him off of them:rolleyes: Anyway, if you are attracting fish but they don't seem to stick and you know the hook is sharp, try trimming the tail a little. Sometimes the fish will grab hold of the maribou fibers and miss the hook.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
You found a great little lake. There are native cutthroats up there and of course the planted rainbows. That's an amazing eagle story must have been nice to see it up so close. At the right time ant patterns work great up there. I used to go over by the south shore by the big fir trees and toss out an ant pattern and have good luck.

G
geoduck
green wooly buggers

green wooly buggers

have always worked on this lake but if you fish the upper end sometimes black hare's ears work good too as they imitate the small tadpoles that eventually grow into the frogs up there. Its always possible to hook an occasional bull trout too. Good lake in the spring.

V
Vectorpete
That's a fun lake. I was having problems hooking to until I put a small pheasant tail dropper behind the wooly. Anyone have some smaller creeks rivers where a guy can get away from people and still catch a few fish?