Late nook fishin

S
Steelyfishn
I haven't posted in a while. I went down South this year for the 1st time on the Elk/Sixes. I had a good idea that traffic can be heavy but until you are actually there and fishing it did not cease to amaze me DAMN!!! I have never seen so many boats in a 8 mile stretch. I will say that the boat etiquette is second to none. McKenzie River boaters could and should take a lesson or 2 on the courtesy especially a father and son guide outfit that I won't mention there names. My first trip out was with my buddy Dale and Guide Jared Kelso of Hooked For Life Guide Service out of Eugene. Jared worked very hard for us and was professional and as knowledgeable as they come. I have had the privilege of fishing with 3-4 guides a year for the past few years and Jared earned my repeat business. We spent 1 day out with Jared with low water conditions. He gave us warning that fishing could be slow but it didn't stop my buddy and I from making the longest drive for fishing:) I don't recommend driving down for a 1 day outing. We managed to get in front of several fish but couldn't seem to button em up on Kwikfish except this 42" length 26" girth pig my buddy Dale managed to tag for his 2nd Nook ever. Elk River 11-24-12.jpg
Dale and I decided to make another trip back without a guide and for a weekend with Big Nooks tattooed on the brain. Saturday was brutal for us fished every technique imaginable in every hole possible and Nothin!!! A buddy of mine was at the takeout when we showed up and I asked how they did. He replies we hooked 7 and landed 5 :shock: Seriously? Kwikfish? yep... Kyle Special (pattern)? yep... :confused: " I fished that all day and not a bump" Kyle asks what size? 15... yeah we were using 14's...:mad: Well its how goes sometimes huh... So the next day I managed to acquire a couple 14's from Jared Kelso but I had a feeling about a Mag Lip I had already wrapped and size comparison to the K14 is real close. We make our first pass with a K14 on the outside and my mag lip rod on the inside and BOOM!!! FISH ON!!! Big Buck Elk R. 12-9-12.jpg 38" length and 26" girth. The hole we pulled it out from had some traffic waiting near the bank for there turn so 2 turns later and 2 other fish landed by the others we get our 2nd pass and same scenario same rod Fish on!!! Dale Elk R. Hen 12-9-12.jpg Nice little hen with a belly full of eggs. We proceeded to take a few more turns and missing a few opportunities. Watched more boats come through some with success and others not so fortunate. And then my favorite saying " One more pass " and on shrimp cocktail with a diver Fish On!!! Sm. Buck Elk R. 12-9-12.jpg Feisty little guy. We worked our way down looking for the last tag filler with no success, but with a long drive ahead of us and 3 in the box we didn't work that hard and managed to be on the road by 2:30. I highly recommend a trip down South... It is worth the drive...

jamisonace
jamisonace
I couldn't agree with you more on your ettiquette comment. Great job hooking fish. That is a fickle system with great water one day and low the next. I'm curious what days you were fishing? I've been down there quite a bit this year.

S
Steelyfishn
We went down on Black Friday the 1st trip and 12-8 and 9th the last trip

S
Steelyfishn
jamisonace said:
I couldn't agree with you more on your ettiquette comment. Great job hooking fish. That is a fickle system with great water one day and low the next. I'm curious what days you were fishing? I've been down there quite a bit this year.

How did you do down there PM me some pics I still have the drug of that river pulsing in my veins :)

J
jabs67
Sweet nooks!!!! Thanks for sharing. :cool:

T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice report! Gonna have to fish there one day!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I know exactly how you feel. I live for November and December to fish down there. Crowds and all. And I also know that Black Friday was CRAZY down there. I wasn't there though. Went North instead.

Here are a couple threads I started. Unfortunately, my camera batteries were dead on our first and best day. 3/3 from RV to Ironhead on the Elk. Hope you enjoy the reading. Wish it was more fish picture heavy:)

Steelyfishn said:
How did you do down there PM me some pics I still have the drug of that river pulsing in my veins :)

S
Steelyfishn
Right on... I had read that report with your boys google searchin any info for the Elk. I really like that report. Your wife is awesome by the way that sounded like a great trip as well. Maybe we can get on the river together sometime... Thanks for the Pics and story

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thanks! Looks like your in Eugene, we'll need to keep in touch come springer/summer steelhead in a few months.

C_Run
C_Run
Congratulations. I love it down there. Thanks for the report.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Awesome fish Josh, glad you guys had fun and got a few tugs.

S
steelhead_slayer
Nice fish. I have wanted to make a trip down that way for some time. Congrats

P
plumb2fish
Looks like a pretty good trip Josh. We are thinking about a trip down there to chase winters at some point this winter....heard the sixes has a pretty good steelhead run, so we may as well go sore lip a few of em. Although it is open for retention of natives, we won't keep one unless its dead when it hits the bank/or net.

S
Steelyfishn
plumb2fish said:
Looks like a pretty good trip Josh. We are thinking about a trip down there to chase winters at some point this winter....heard the sixes has a pretty good steelhead run, so we may as well go sore lip a few of em. Although it is open for retention of natives, we won't keep one unless its dead when it hits the bank/or net.

steelhead_slayer said:
Nice fish. I have wanted to make a trip down that way for some time. Congrats

RunWithSasquatch said:
Awesome fish Josh, glad you guys had fun and got a few tugs.

Thanks guys we had a good time. I was happy for my buddy Dale. I have been taking him Salmon fishing for the last few years and the Nooks seemed to not want to cooperate for him. This year he caught his first 3 with me starting with the Nestucca. He caught the feaver :)

Plumb I would like to get down there as well for winters I will PM my # to you just in case you don't still have it and hopefully we can put a trip together.

S
Steelyfishn
jamisonace said:
Thanks! Looks like your in Eugene, we'll need to keep in touch come springer/summer steelhead in a few months.

I was hoping you would say that. We will make it happen.

D
DYJ
Nice report J!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Funny story. My friend was helping retrieving a boat on Thanksgiving day. The guys that owned it had just bought it and we're taking it on its maiden voyage and sunk it the day before Thanksgiving. They were just going to leave it there but my friend talked them into letting him take them to try and find it. On their way down the River a guy was sitting on the porch and yelled down to them 136. My friend looked up and said, "what?" and he yells again 136. So my friend asked what does that mean and he said you are 136th boat to pass by me this morning. That's a lot of boats and it's not like they were the last boat on the river either. They had to swim on Thanksgiving day but they ended up getting that boat back.

S
Steelyfishn
jamisonace said:
Funny story. My friend was helping retrieving a boat on Thanksgiving day. The guys that owned it had just bought it and we're taking it on its maiden voyage and sunk it the day before Thanksgiving. They were just going to leave it there but my friend talked them into letting him take them to try and find it. On their way down the River a guy was sitting on the porch and yelled down to them 136. My friend looked up and said, "what?" and he yells again 136. So my friend asked what does that mean and he said you are 136th boat to pass by me this morning. That's a lot of boats and it's not like they were the last boat on the river either. They had to swim on Thanksgiving day but they ended up getting that boat back.

The guide I was with and his buddy are the guys that pulled it to the bank and roped it off to a tree. He said it was a chore and a half trying to get it over as far as they did. The boat was right next to the hole my buddy caught that pig at. After we were done fishing the hole we went over and pulled jared's rope off it since that thing wasn't going any where. I talked to one of the guys ( maybe your buddy ) who helped them get there boat back too. He said it literally took them all day.