Late Coho action on Siletz

J
Johnny Southpaw
Couldn't hardly believe my eyes when I got this guy in-a Coho this late in the season? Got it on a Steelhead Stalkers microjig up in the gorge on the Siletz. Was hoping to get turned onto some fresh winter action but I'll have to keep waiting on that front...

YouTube - P1300460.AVI

YouTube - P1300472_2.AVI

M
Mike123
That's perrrdddy cool! :clap:

Me and Jeanna were just talking today while drifting the Siletz.. We were saying we'd have a better chance at a late coho than a steelhead up in the gorge. :lol: That river was barren of steel today.

T
Thuggin4Life
Crazy I though they had just about done there thing by now. Good job man!

S
steelhead_stalkers
People think I am lying when I say that the little purple micro out-fishes roe everytime out for silvers! Good job, had some rosy cheeks, almost like a steelhead. :)

Which jig did you get him on?

J
Johnny Southpaw
steelhead_stalkers said:
People think I am lying when I say that the little purple micro out-fishes roe everytime out for silvers! Good job, had some rosy cheeks, almost like a steelhead. :)

Which jig did you get him on?

He fell for a white hybrid micro jig-had been throwing darker colors, switched up and BAM! At first I thought, 'geeze, this looks like a Coho' but I thought they'd all done their thing and were in fish heaven by now, so maybe an older summer fish or a super beat up winter, however it's teeth gave it away and once I got some pictures in front of a few friends they all said "coho"

J
Johnny Southpaw
Mike123 said:
That's perrrdddy cool! :clap:

Me and Jeanna were just talking today while drifting the Siletz.. We were saying we'd have a better chance at a late coho than a steelhead up in the gorge. :lol: That river was barren of steel today.

What' the deal with winters on the Siletz? I've heard/seen a few nice fish come out, but all in all pretty slow. I have a buddy who's caught a few late summer fish in the last couple weeks, and only a couple winters. Never know what you're gonna catch in that river, I swear.

M
Mike123
Johnny Southpaw said:
What' the deal with winters on the Siletz? I've heard/seen a few nice fish come out, but all in all pretty slow. I have a buddy who's caught a few late summer fish in the last couple weeks, and only a couple winters. Never know what you're gonna catch in that river, I swear.

Maybe I just need to fish more Steelhead Stalker jigs. :D:lol::lol:

I tried some fresh roe I cure up and there were smolt goin crazy after it so I had to switch back to jigs.

Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
:D I have had really good luck with the white early and late in the day. It mimics flesh I think and fish are always happy to eat that! Good job out there. ;)

J
JeannaJigs
Johnny Southpaw said:
Couldn't hardly believe my eyes when I got this guy in-a Coho this late in the season? Got it on a Steelhead Stalkers microjig up in the gorge on the Siletz. Was hoping to get turned onto some fresh winter action but I'll have to keep waiting on that front...

YouTube - P1300460.AVI

YouTube - P1300472_2.AVI

Lol you might be waiting a while. That river was deadddddd. Crystal clear and not a fish in sight. Gotta say I wasn't impressed with it, having never fished it before, I much prefer smaller water...It just reminded me of the willamette through town here in Eugene. Was a nice boat ride? Kinda...

I've seen pictures from my dad's friend of some monster fish, and he said about 10 years ago they had numerous double digit days with 10-18 pounders..but...this year, I'm thinkin' that's not the case.

J
Johnny Southpaw
JeannaJigs said:
Lol you might be waiting a while. That river was deadddddd. Crystal clear and not a fish in sight. Gotta say I wasn't impressed with it, having never fished it before, I much prefer smaller water...It just reminded me of the willamette through town here in Eugene. Was a nice boat ride? Kinda...

I've seen pictures from my dad's friend of some monster fish, and he said about 10 years ago they had numerous double digit days with 10-18 pounders..but...this year, I'm thinkin' that's not the case.

What section of the river did you float? Not sure if you bank it much, but some good water up in the gorge. It's the only portion of the Siletz that I've fished thus far. I've got a buddy who fishes the Siletz gorge area pretty often, and he seems to get into fish more often than not. He's caught five or six chrome bullets so far this year, along with HOARDS of Coho and Summers. However he KNOWS that river. The Siletz does hold monster fish-I can attest to that. Can't imagine having double digit days in any water. I've never landed more than one fish (steelhead/salmon) per day. I'm just not that good. Yet. Would have been nice to experience the runs of old though, that's for sure.

M
Mike123
The Alsea and Siletz were both pretty poor compare to other years in the past.
Not saying you can't catch fish, but the numbers aren't that great. Boy, wasn't that a good coho run though. :D

J
JeannaJigs
Uhm I'm horrible at remembering names lol. I can't remember where we put in and took out, haha Mike knows. I've never fished the siletz before...so I don't know the bank spots. Probably won't get to know them either, it's a long drive to learn a new river, and I didn't really like it, but, I'm basing that on a single trip so perhaps that's unfair. The drift we did had a ton of good looking salmon water so I might get up there for some salmon fishing this fall

J
Johnny Southpaw
JeannaJigs said:
Uhm I'm horrible at remembering names lol. I can't remember where we put in and took out, haha Mike knows. I've never fished the siletz before...so I don't know the bank spots. Probably won't get to know them either, it's a long drive to learn a new river, and I didn't really like it, but, I'm basing that on a single trip so perhaps that's unfair. The drift we did had a ton of good looking salmon water so I might get up there for some salmon fishing this fall

I hear you about the long drive-but to axe the Siletz based on one skunking is a bit unfair. I felt the same way about the N. Santiam-still haven't caught anything there but I'm not done with that river. Anyway, better luck next time, whichever river you find yourself on:D:D:D

J
justNorthofya
I think we all dream of the "old days"...I've heard stories about how you could almost walk across the river on the backs of salmon in the Jasper Bridge area of the Willamette.

The "town drift" on the Siletz is my favorite...I like being able to walk to your car easily after a hard day of fishing

K
Kodiak
Johnny Southpaw said:
I hear you about the long drive-but to axe the Siletz based on one skunking is a bit unfair. I felt the same way about the N. Santiam-still haven't caught anything there but I'm not done with that river. Anyway, better luck next time, whichever river you find yourself on:D:D:D

Except that one springer:D!

J
Johnny Southpaw
Kodiak said:
Except that one springer:D!
Holy smokes that's right:shock::shock: I was thinking about steelhead and completely forgot that springer you turned me on to. Thanks again for that outing. I hope to dance with some N. Santiam metal this summer. A few more springers would be very nice as well. Hope you're doing good Kodiak.

K
Kodiak
Johnny Southpaw said:
Holy smokes that's right:shock::shock: I was thinking about steelhead and completely forgot that springer you turned me on to. Thanks again for that outing. I hope to dance with some N. Santiam metal this summer. A few more springers would be very nice as well. Hope you're doing good Kodiak.

We'll get you on the dance floor with the meanest steelies on earth this summer bro, no worries!