Late August Suggestions for an out-of-stater

T
TXfishingguy
Hi everybody!

I'm coming up for vacation with my parents the last week of August. We are renting a house on the Salmon River in Welches, just south of Mt. Hood. I know the fish in this salmon river are protected but I noticed the Sandy was just on the other side of the highway. Will they come up this far? Any places I should check out?

I also notice the Clackamas wasn't far from where we are staying either. Is there a lot of access on the Clack Hwy? Do the salmon even run in this river?

Sorry for the questions, but I have one more.

What kind of lures/rigs are you using to catch these salmon?

Thanks a bunch!

T
TXfishingguy
Oh also, I forgot to mention the gear we will be bringing.

We have two spinning rods. one 7 ft and one 6.5 ft. with matching spinning reels. What lb test should we spool up with?

I also have a 7/8 wt. fly rod. Any good salmon flies?

Again, sorry for all the questions. I'm just kind of in the dark with salmon fishing.

O
osmosis
In august you will have your hands full with coho and even some fall chinook on all 3 rivers you mentioned.

spinners, corkies, yarn, bait, and plugs are the most often used things in the fall.
Anywhere from 10 up to 20lb mainline is average.

I drift fish with a fly rod and it's a lot of fun, but I don't traditionally fly fish so I can't help you on regular flies.

Do a search on this forum with the keyword "coho" and you will have more info that you need.

T
Troutier Bassier
osmosis said:
I drift fish with a fly rod and it's a lot of fun,

Hmmm, I wounder where you got that Idea. ;)

O
osmosis
I've been doing it probably longer than you've been fishin :D. a few years ago I got it dialed with help from a good fisherman named Matthew Clark. Where did you think I got it?

T
TXfishingguy
cool!

Thanks guys.

M
meluvtrout
osmosis said:
I've been doing it probably longer than you've been fishin :D. a few years ago I got it dialed with help from a good fisherman named Matthew Clark. Where did you think I got it?

Perhaps from the guy who's been fishing the ClAckamAs since he was in diapers! :)

O
osmosis
Oh you mean the guy I introduced to it last year! :D

Last year quite a few hatchery coho wound up in the salmon river, keep an eye on the regulations to see if they open it to retention this year!

Last edited:
K
Kodiak
Fall fish are comming....Fly Rodding some 'ho's from EC sounds like a blast! i'll have to bring my rod just in case.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Kodiak said:
Fall fish are comming...testosterone is high all over the boards...every body getting edgy, all trying to prove what we know...relax. There will be plenty O'killin for all of us. Who really cares who done what first.

TB>>> Quit antagonizing the old folks before I call off the truce.

:lol: Ima have a beer... how bout you Kodiak? :yay:
Might have to head to the coast early this year because of you. :D

T
Troutier Bassier
Matthew C,
I seen his video about Drifting with a Fly Rod.