Last week of ocean selective coho

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
data just posted, with 1 week left, just 38K of the 90K quota has been caught.

The Non-selective "Any Ocean Coho" season starts Aug31-Sept1, then is open each Fri-Sun after that until the quota is gone. I hope we get some quota rolled over to bump up the initial 9K, it sure would be nice to have the "Any Ocean Coho" open for maybe 3 weekends...

(FYI- in 2017, ODFW transferred 16% of the unused "Selective" quota to "Non-Selective", so if we have 50K of unused quota this year, applying that same ratio would mean 8K being added to the 9K we already have. Also from 2017, the quota of 7.9K lasted 6 days, with much of it caught during excellent ocean conditions over Labor Day weekend. This year, we are only open for weekend days, assuming 2K caught per weekend day, a quota of 17K gets us 8.5 days: 2 over Labor day weekend, 3 days each of the next two weekend takes us to 8 days, depending of course on ocean conditions, so not unreasonable to think we might get 3 weekends).

For people planning to fish coastal estuaries, each weekend the ocean is open for Any Coho (and especially if ocean conditions are good) means less boats fishing the estuary areas!

H
hubt84
What is the best way to check the forecast on ocean conditions?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I prefer MagicSeaWeed for swells and wind but also check NOAA for hourly wind.

https://magicseaweed.com/Florence-Surf-Report/696/
if you subscribe Magicseaweek for $3/month, you get to see 14 days out, the forecast can/does change a lot that far out, but as of now, Labor Day weekend isn't looking too bad. ???

Irishrover
Irishrover
That is an amazing low number of fish caught. That's about 52% of the quota left. The real bonus is they have increased the Halibut catch limit to 2 halibut.

Central Oregon Coast Subarea:

Summer All-Depth Season—Open every Friday and Saturday until quota is met or Oct. 31. Quota remaining = 58,000 lbs. 2 fish bag limit effective Friday, Aug. 23.
Nearshore Season— Open seven days per week until quota is met or Oct. 31. Quota remaining = 23,000 lbs. 2 fish bag limit effective Friday, Aug. 23.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
still early days but if this forecast holds, that first Saturday of 'any coho' is going to be awesome, even the wind is predicted to come up from the west, and especially from a kayak, you absolutely love having the wind pushing you towards home....

kitSJi6.jpg

H
hubt84
well rogerdodger, are you going to be out there in the morning?
rogerdodger said:
still early days but if this forecast holds, that first Saturday of 'any coho' is going to be awesome, even the wind is predicted to come up from the west, and especially from a kayak, you absolutely love having the wind pushing you toward home

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hubt84 said:
well rogerdodger, are you going to be out there in the morning?

yes, Pepper and I are planning to punch over the bar about 6:30am and get back in by about 11am, noon at the latest...cheers

G
gfisher2003
This is prolly a dumb question but what are the quota and ocean selective and not selective. Just interested if anyone has a way to explain it to someone whos never heard of them before.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
"selective" means you can only keep coho with a healed adipose fin clip (hatchery fish).
"non-selective" means you can keep any coho.

this year, the "selective" coho season was June 22 to August 25 to a max of 90K coho retained.
the "non-selective" opened today with a quota of 9K coho retained, and it doesn't appear they rolled any of the unused quota over.

G
gfisher2003
oh cool! I didn't know that

H
hubt84
Will ODFW post how close we are to reaching the 9k after the weekends, or just tell us when its over?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have been expecting them to post that this afternoon...probably a teleconference going on today to gather all the catch data and decide how many more days we get...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
wow, 5246 caught the first 2 days, 58.3% of the quota used up. Newport accounted for half of that and Winchester over 1000.

should be an announcement soon about the coming weekend.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Thanks Roger. My bet is if this catch rate continue this week end will be the last. The weather looks fantastic at his point so folks will be able to get out.

H
hubt84
Thanks for the update