Last steelie trip

B
bigdog
So had today OFF and decided to go out for what I think will be the last summer steelie trip for this year and then going to start going after the coho. Have to say it was a good day a little bit wet out but still a good day though. I think I'm addicted to the fly rods though. They are hard to work when getting a fish in though. Haven't fully figured out how you should work the reel when the fish takes OFF on runs but working on that part. Also trying to decide if I like this sinking line or not little harder to work with then the floating line.

Photo0028.jpg

E
eggs
You have to let off the knob and palm the reel along with letting the drag work.. then they stop running bring the rod tip up alittle higher to keep the line tight as you regrab the knob... also you can have the line under your pointer finger on your gripping hand so you can pinch the line if you have to..

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
a fly guide friend of mine uses floating line with sink tips(in different lengths depending on water)always . says it mends easier than sinking line . with the little bit of feather flicking i have done(i am a bait tosser) , i would agree with him . by the way , NICE FISH ! !

E
eggs
Yea floating line with sink tips is the way to go...

B
bigdog
Yeah thats how I'm trying to control the fish it is just so different then a bait caster or spinner reel for sure. Seems a lot of the time when the fish runs the fly reel tends to ttry to back lash like a baitcaster not casted properly, think I might not be putting enough pressure on the reel but working on it. I have notice that the fly rods have a lot more flex to the and can use a lot of that to let the fish thrash about and do its things without letting out so much line. I tend to let it run more then what I think I need to seeings how they get reel close to spooling me out almost everytime lol.
Yeah I think I like the floating line with the sink tip a lot better then the sinking line.

M
meluvtrout
Nice very nice! Did you use UV split shots? They make hell of a difference. Buy the UV floating line too. Ask for rainbow color, the whole nine yards! :)

L
lilsalmon
nice fishy.....

B
bigdog
meluvtrout said:
Nice very nice! Did you use UV split shots? They make hell of a difference. Buy the UV floating line too. Ask for rainbow color, the whole nine yards! :)

Nope didn't need the UV split shots I got the UV sinking line.

R
rippin fish lips
Nice lookin fish!

M
meluvtrout
bigdog said:
Nope didn't need the UV split shots I got the UV sinking line.

That's the best one dude! I heard fish would jump out of the water and spawn in the air when you had those UV sinking leaders! :)

B
bigdog
meluvtrout said:
That's the best one dude! I heard fish would jump out of the water and spawn in the air when you had those UV sinking leaders! :)

:lol: your a fool Ali :lol:

E
eggs
You would be suprised how well UV backing works!

B
bigdog
Works great when I run out of main line lol

B
bigsteel
way to go cj,,,you kickin arse on the fly rod

F
fishingfreak
I think we both had that reel screaming:lol:. So thats why we did so good today it was the new UV you put on the end of your line. Now I know your secret weapon.:lol:

FF

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Nice fish! Can't help with the flys.