large mouth bass

F
fitterdent
i have been fishing the willy and columbia lately for small mouth, but i want to go for some large mouth. where are they, and what kind of bait or lures do you use? i'm in portland but i don't mind traveling a ways for them.:D

Z
Zeroresin
Hey man me too, a thread I started early got a couple responses but nothing definate, seems devil's lake in lincoln city has some, but probably not good enough odds to warrant the trip. Also I hear there's a lake north of Lincoln City that has some but not sure on the name =) Sorry I can't be more help but if you find out so will I, I suppose, good luck with your fishing and if you catch any large mouths, let us know where!

F
FishSchooler
Hagg lake has large mouth if you know where to look. The place I would fish is either sain creek or the dam. Spinnerbaits in the spring, senkos anytime, nightcrawlers work too. Crankbaits work well sometimes in the fall. Fish the senkos weightless, then let them drop to the bottom, then reel em really slowly. Willamette has LM bass if you dont know, just not as much as SM. Multnomah channel has LM bass and SM bass. Erm... Oswego lake has panfish, SM and LM bass, but it is private and the only way to access is through a friend or off a bridge. Tualatin river has some LM in it, but you'll catch a sucker or squaw most of the time...

LM bass will take almost everything that a SM will take. Senkos, crankbaits, plugs, grubs, nightcrawlers, spinnerbaits, spinners, spoons, and so on. They arent that picky, so just experiement is what I'll say.

There are ponds everywhere further south around salem and eugene that have bass, like wilsonville pond has some LM bass, then theres a lot more little ponds that people have explored and found bass. Good luck and happy bass huntin!

F
flippinbaits
i would go to west salish ponds if you are in portland, those are close

G
Gurthy
Monster LargeMouth at Salish. You will be able to see them... but they are extremely picky.

F
fitterdent
i tried for bass at the east salish and got nothing, i didn't know they had bass in the west side, i thought trout was about all it had. i will try the west side tuesday night after work.

G
Gurthy
fitterdent said:
i tried for bass at the east salish and got nothing, i didn't know they had bass in the west side, i thought trout was about all it had. i will try the west side tuesday night after work.

The only place i've seen fish, is by the docks at both ponds (east and west). Cast by the pipe. These fish are extremely finicky.... so try a bunch of different lure combinations

F
FishSchooler
Spinnerbaits, spinners, crankbaits, senkos, yum baits, berkeley gulp baits, plugs, grubs, spoons, what ever you got! I remember seeing a pretty nice bass hooked with a spinnerbait, he lost it though.

B
bassman503
fitterdent said:

most people don't know either! and its a good thing too.a few years ago a guy caught a 4 pound bass using night crawlers on the bottom.

T
Troutier Bassier
I saw some guys catch Largemouth on jigs with worms by the dock of west salish. There is a tree that hangs over. Flip in the, Jig and Hook Up!

A
adambomb
Siltcoos lake down by Florence is full of bass and trout, and even sea run cutthroat trout. They even held a Bassmasters tournament there in the early 90's

G
Gurthy
Troutier Bassier said:
I saw some guys catch Largemouth on jigs with worms by the dock of west salish. There is a tree that hangs over. Flip in the, Jig and Hook Up!

Are you talking this year already? The bass are already out? When did you witness this?

T
Troutier Bassier
:think:

???

Between March 10-16.

:D