Lane county pond warning

N

nwkiller

well im sure its not news too you guys that we have some very trashy fishing holes...bottles, broken glass, and other garbage but none like to small retention pond my freinds and i went too, testing the carp. well we began our day on th north end of the pond small amount of trash,found a couple nice agates and some obsidian...the bite was slow so we decided to go toward the south side where the cars were parked, rigged up and threw in. After about 15 mins with a couple bites i decided to move down the bank about 2 ft from everyone else, as i set my rod down, at the tip of it i see a suringe, just laying there....kids walking around the park, dogs on leashes, and people jogging and here is this the worst peice of trash possible...after very, very, very, very carefully discading it in a near by trash can, my friend yells out "heres another". we ended up spoting 5 before we left..........who do i get ahold of for this, after putting in the trash i felt like someone could still be hurt....this needs to be taken care of!!!!! to sketchy for the normal person to clean up. and all the needles were right on wters edge

the ponds are the ones just north of shasta middle school off barger as well...someone help

T

TTFishon

well im sure its not news too you guys that we have some very trashy fishing holes...bottles, broken glass, and other garbage but none like to small retention pond my freinds and i went too, testing the carp. well we began our day on th north end of the pond small amount of trash,found a couple nice agates and some obsidian...the bite was slow so we decided to go toward the south side where the cars were parked, rigged up and threw in. After about 15 mins with a couple bites i decided to move down the bank about 20 ft from everyone else, as i set my rod down, at the tip of it i see a suringe, just laying there....kids walking around the park, dogs on leashes, and people jogging and here is this the worst peice of trash possible...after very, very, very, very carefully discading it in a near by trash can, my friend yells out "heres another". we ended up spoting 5 before we left..........who do i get ahold of for this, after putting in the trash i felt like someone could still be hurt....this needs to be taken care of!!!!! to sketchy for the normal person to clean up. and all the needles were right on wters edge

the ponds are the ones just north of shasta middle school off barger as well...someone help

That really sucks! Thanks for discarding them. Tweakers or junkies at that level don't seem to care too much. I don't have kids but I took my dog there last year and she could have stabbed herself very easily if she stepped on one. Thanks for the warning.

N

nwkiller

no problem, couldnt believe it, very well could have had my dog there at that moment and we hadnt noticed them for about 15 minutes, so it would been 4 sure

O

Outdoor_Myers

well im sure its not news too you guys that we have some very trashy fishing holes...bottles, broken glass, and other garbage but none like to small retention pond my freinds and i went too, testing the carp. well we began our day on th north end of the pond small amount of trash,found a couple nice agates and some obsidian...the bite was slow so we decided to go toward the south side where the cars were parked, rigged up and threw in. After about 15 mins with a couple bites i decided to move down the bank about 2 ft from everyone else, as i set my rod down, at the tip of it i see a suringe, just laying there....kids walking around the park, dogs on leashes, and people jogging and here is this the worst peice of trash possible...after very, very, very, very carefully discading it in a near by trash can, my friend yells out "heres another". we ended up spoting 5 before we left..........who do i get ahold of for this, after putting in the trash i felt like someone could still be hurt....this needs to be taken care of!!!!! to sketchy for the normal person to clean up. and all the needles were right on wters edge

That really sucks I would be pissed and called the cops to come get the needles. on the other side are you allowed to keep the obsidian I heard over on ifish you are not allowed to remove any obsidian you find. I ask because I need a few nice big pieces I have a obsidian dagger i need fixed :)

N

nwkiller

ur not supposed tooo........so i dont, but if i did i would keep it a secret...funny law...

T

TTFishon

I think it's a lame law. What good is it laying on the ground for no one to appreciate it? At least the person who found it can look at it every once in a while with some admiration.

N

nwkiller

thts what i think, if i find an arrow head it goes on display for friends and family to appreciate

N

nwkiller

not that i have any...lol:dance::rolleyes:

18406ej

Do call the County or EPD, depending on who has jurisdiction out there. They have Sharps containers, and the person that picks up the full garbage bags won't be put at risk. Thank you for thinking of others when you picked them up, it is good of you to do so.

B

beaverfan

Wherever you heard you can't keep obsidian, your source was wrong. It is in fact legal to keep obsidian, it is ALSO legal to keep arrowheads! As long as you are not on federal land or a known burial site and pick it up directly off the ground without digging. Read this.

According to the Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979, No, it is not illegal to pick up arrowheads as long as they are on the grounds surface. You cannot dig for them. Also you cannot take arrowheads from any federal land, such as a National park or reserve, or from a Native American Reservation no matter how you find it. You must buy it from their gift shops. I have included a copy of section 6 of the law in this post, subsection G deals with arrowheads. Also, it is worth noting that most archaeologists frown on the collection of too many arrowheads since an important or undiscovered site may be located close by, and the removal of these arrowheads could lead to the loss of valuable data about a people or culture and their technology. So happy hunting, but please collect in moderation.

Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979
16 U.S.C. 470ee,
Prohibited acts and criminal penalties
Section 6
16 U.S.C. 470 ee(a),
Unauthorized excavation, removal, damage, alternation, or defacement of archaeological resources
(a) No person may excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface or attempt to excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface any archaeological resource located on public lands or Indian lands unless such activity is pursuant to a permit issued under section 4 of this Act, a permit referred to in section 4(h)(2) of this Act, or the exemption contained in section 4(g)(1) of this Act.
16 U.S.C. 470ee(b),
Trafficking in archaeological resources: Federal law
(b) No person may sell, purchase, exchange, transport, receive, or offer to sell, purchase, or exchange any archaeological resource if such resource was excavated or removed from public lands or Indian lands in violation of-
(1) the prohibition contained in subsection (a) of this section, or
(2) any provision, rule, regulation, ordinance, or permit in effect under any other provision of Federal law.
16 U.S.C. 470ee(c),
Trafficking in illegal interstate or foreign commerce in archaeological resources: State or local law
(c) No person may sell, purchase, exchange, transport, receive, or offer to sell, purchase, or exchange, in interstate of foreign commerce, any archaeological resource excavated, removed, sold, purchased, exchanged, transported, or received in violation of any provision, rule, regulation, ordinance, or permit in effect under State or local law.
16 U.S.C. 470ee(d),
Penalties
(d) Any person who knowingly violates, or counsels, procures, solicits, or employs any other person to violate, any prohibition contained in subsection (a), (b), or (c) of this section shall, upon conviction, be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both: Provided, however, That if the commercial or archaeological value of the archaeological resources involved and the cost of restoration and repair of such resources exceeds the sum of $500, such person shall be fined not more than $20,000 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. In the case of a second or subsequent such violation upon conviction such person shall be fined not more than $100,000, or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
16 U.S.C. 470ee(e),
Effective date
(e) The prohibitions contained in this section shall take effect on October 31, 1979 [the date of the enactment of this Act].
16 U.S.C. 470ee(f),
Prospective application
(f) Nothing in subsection (b)(1) of this section shall be deemed applicable to any person with respect to any archaeological resource which was in the lawful possession of such person prior to October 31, 1979.
16 U.S.C. 470ee(g),
Removal of arrowheads located on ground surface
(g) Nothing in subsection (d) of this section shall be deemed applicable to any person with respect to the removal of arrowheads located on the surface of the ground.

According to the Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979, No, it is not illegal to pick up arrowheads as long as they are on the grounds surface. You cannot dig for them. Also you cannot take arrowheads from any federal land, such as a National park or reserve, or from a Native American Reservation no matter how you find it. You must buy it from their gift shops. I have included a copy of section 6 of the law in this post, subsection G deals with arrowheads. Also, it is worth noting that most archaeologists frown on the collection of too many arrowheads since an important or undiscovered site may be located close by, and the removal of these arrowheads could lead to the loss of valuable data about a people or culture and their technology. So happy hunting, but please collect in moderation.

Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979
16 U.S.C. 470ee,
Prohibited acts and criminal penalties
Section 6
16 U.S.C. 470 ee(a),
Unauthorized excavation, removal, damage, alternation, or defacement of archaeological resources
(a) No person may excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface or attempt to excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface any archaeological resource located on public lands or Indian lands unless such activity is pursuant to a permit issued under section 4 of this Act, a permit referred to in section 4(h)(2) of this Act, or the exemption contained in section 4(g)(1) of this Act.
16 U.S.C. 470ee(b),
Trafficking in archaeological resources: Federal law
(b) No person may sell, purchase, exchange, transport, receive, or offer to sell, purchase, or exchange any archaeological resource if such resource was excavated or removed from public lands or Indian lands in violation of-
(1) the prohibition contained in subsection (a) of this section, or
(2) any provision, rule, regulation, ordinance, or permit in effect under any other provision of Federal law.
16 U.S.C. 470ee(c),
Trafficking in illegal interstate or foreign commerce in archaeological resources: State or local law
(c) No person may sell, purchase, exchange, transport, receive, or offer to sell, purchase, or exchange, in interstate of foreign commerce, any archaeological resource excavated, removed, sold, purchased, exchanged, transported, or received in violation of any provision, rule, regulation, ordinance, or permit in effect under State or local law.
16 U.S.C. 470ee(d),
Penalties
(d) Any person who knowingly violates, or counsels, procures, solicits, or employs any other person to violate, any prohibition contained in subsection (a), (b), or (c) of this section shall, upon conviction, be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both: Provided, however, That if the commercial or archaeological value of the archaeological resources involved and the cost of restoration and repair of such resources exceeds the sum of $500, such person shall be fined not more than $20,000 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. In the case of a second or subsequent such violation upon conviction such person shall be fined not more than $100,000, or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
16 U.S.C. 470ee(e),
Effective date
(e) The prohibitions contained in this section shall take effect on October 31, 1979 [the date of the enactment of this Act].
16 U.S.C. 470ee(f),
Prospective application
(f) Nothing in subsection (b)(1) of this section shall be deemed applicable to any person with respect to any archaeological resource which was in the lawful possession of such person prior to October 31, 1979.
16 U.S.C. 470ee(g),
Removal of arrowheads located on ground surface
(g) Nothing in subsection (d) of this section shall be deemed applicable to any person with respect to the removal of arrowheads located on the surface of the ground.

Last edited:
N

nwkiller

thanx for the info beaverfan.
my friends and i were joking that they were steriod suringes that were used in the carp, beef um out...hopeful dreams
lol
still not funny about the parafenilia

T

Thuggin4Life

Was a careless fisherman using them to make his worms float off the bottom?

Yeah sometimes you will find a syringe out on the bank of a bass pond and just know its not for drugs. I need to get one to put in my bass box.

N

nwkiller

i guarentee they werent for fillin your worm with air, these were dirty and if it was a careless fisherman, than he's gettin the beat down when i see him, but these were def dirty

P

plumb2fish

It was just a joke... anyone that would leave any kind of trash near a body of water is not what I would consider a "reel" fisherman. As far a used needles go, unfortunately the people that are leaving them around don't care about themselves so it stands to reason that they wouldn't care about others. Good on you for disposing of them to keep others safe. A "reel" fisherman cares enough about the resource to not only pack out his/her trash but that of the other slobs when enjoying our beautiful resources.

Last edited:
B

beaverfan

Ya sorry for the high jack, I just think it sucks that the government has pretty much scared people from finding and picking up artifacts. I grew up walking around Harney County every weekend looking for arrowheads and huntin' Rabbits with pops. My dad collected arrowheads for like 40 something years, never to sell them just to throw them in frames and hang them on the wall. He has quite the collection from all areas of the state. Has a bunch from Lake Oswego/West Linn area. He also never raided burial sites or anything like that. Another case where a few bad seeds ruined a great a hobby for a lot of people.

H

Hooked on fishin'

Yeah sometimes you will find a syringe out on the bank of a bass pond and just know its not for drugs. I need to get one to put in my bass box.

They sell a similar thing, its like a little squeeze bottle with a needle for inflating worms. It does not work as well as a syringe, but it does the trick.

T

TTFishon

Hey nwkiller, you ever fish the ditch that feeds those ponds? When I was a kid I use to catch carp where it runs parallel with Beltline.