Lane county fly fishing tomorrow? (Thursday)

E
everett464
Anyone headed out?

I am considering the Mckenzie, or the Middle fork below Hills creek, but I am open to all possibilities..

I need some more consistent, and/or less constricted by adult responsibility, fishing buddies.

Ev

Troutski
Troutski
Middle Fork above Hills Creek

Middle Fork above Hills Creek

The water is running fast and brown on both rivers, not that one can't catch fish in these conditions but it will be a very hard test.
I would recommend the Middle Fork of the Willamette above Hills Creek Res., The hoggs are stacked like cord wood near the confluence. Golden Stone Fly Nymphs, and Chocolate Wooly Buggers (w/rubber legs) heavly weighted.

Chuck

E
everett464
Never fished that far up. Do you just follow Kilson Springs road past the res?

Troutski
Troutski
Packard Creek Camp Ground

Packard Creek Camp Ground

everett464 said:
Never fished that far up. Do you just follow Kilson Springs road past the res?

After you leave hwy 58 and head towards the res. make the first right hand turn-toward Packard Creek Camp Ground. Just follow the road until you come to the bridge in the back of the res, make the right turn before the bridge, it is a gravel road. Follow it up stream and find a turn out about 1/4 mile in. Jump out and check the bank for access, pretty good Trout angling this time of year. The road goes back about 15 miles, unless there is a slide.
I prefer nymphing to dries, actually I use a nymph and a emerger pattern as a dropper. Works very well...be carefull there are Bull Trout in the river this time of year...handle with care. The game warden up there takes his job very seriously . Tight lines.....

Chuck

E
everett464
What do you do if you get into a bull? I have never even thought much about it.

Also, thanks for the directions. Sounds easy enough, I may start driving up there now.

T
Thuggin4Life
Try not to remove it from the water and be nicer to it on the releasethan you would be with a pellet head. Good luck if you make it out. its nice country up there.

Troutski
Troutski
Like your Mom....respectfully

Like your Mom....respectfully

everett464 said:
What do you do if you get into a bull? I have never even thought much about it.

Also, thanks for the directions. Sounds easy enough, I may start driving up there now.

Treat the fish like Thuggin said, they are one beautiful fish....once you see one you will never forget it. What a fight you will have if you are that lucky, they hug the bottom and hide in the river sub structure...why wouldn't they; they are a Trout.
My largest was a whopper.....they average between 18" and 30" in this region. I went on a full meal deal guided trip to Canada a few years back and up there one can target them; then introduce it to Mr. Weber....Legal up there...Different name up there also Dolly Varden. I am sure there is a difference but the fight is exactly the same; WONDERFUL

Take care and watch your back....you are not in the City any more. Cougar country!!

Chuck

T
Thuggin4Life
Oh i forgot to mention that you will know instantly if it is a bull on the other end. another good spot though not sure about flyfishing with the casting would be the south fork of the mckenzie above cougar. c and r natives and really pretty country as well. As for dollys, bulls are dollys but some scientise found the tiniest diference in there genetic code so no they are bulls in certian areas. and some places have both species. how you and I would tell the difference i have no idea. google bull trout, very interesting stuff to read. If i could just hook one monster in my lifetime i will be satisfied. Also I have been hearing the upper mckenzie has been good flyfishing though not sure now with all the rain.

E
everett464
Shoulda stayed home and tied.

Nestle Quik all the way up.

Thanks for the schooling on Bull Trout.

T
troutjunkie88
I'll be heading up past cougar on the mac later next week if anyone wants to check it out...never been that far up before but all i hear is good fishing