Land of 10,000 Lakes

S
Sturgeon Excursion
New guy here, how do all?

I have gotten addicted to lake sturgeon (your white sturgeons smaller cousin) fishing here in Minnesota as it is the biggest best fighting fish found near my home. My PB is 60".......... so far!

Sure do envy the beasts you have in your local waters, trying to figure out if there are similarities in these fish. We use mainly shad, crawlers and cut suckers as bait. A lot of the same gear and techniques.

Just saw some bait scent spinners, not even sure if they are legal here, anybody use them?

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
Welcome to the Family,
I swear, The folks here can help you catch Sturgeon,

Great White Sturgeon hear are Generally like your guys sturgeon but Bigger,
Way Bigger
Im 12 and my PB is 80"

Some people catch 12' 15'ers out in the Colombia

You fish for them with a Sliding Rig, And Right now Shad is the best Bait, (I think)
But best bait Year round is Squid and Sandshrimp.
I have heard of Guys That used Worms for Bait But I dont cause I might catch Suckerfish or Pikeminnow or something that arent Sturgeon.

But the Best fishing is in the Colombia and Willamette Rivers,

ANy more Questions just PM Me,

Y
youngbuck307
To be honest with u I dont know if i have ever heard of bait scent spinners do u have a link to them???? are they spinners with scent already on them???? and a lot of guys will hook into sturgeon fishing for salmon with a spin and glow with some kinda bait behind it.

and troutier just FYI pikeminnow and suckerfish will eat any kind of bait. the key to not getting them to mess with your bait is to find a deep enough hole. trust me only hooked one and maybe will have one bite ever week in the hole i fish for sturgeon. See its 100+ ft but if you dont get it off the shelf and ur only in 60ft you will catch on in a matter of min!

B
beaverfan
I thought Sturgeon only laid in the holes when they aren't actively feeding, and they cruise flat shallower areas when actively feeding? All the Sturgeon I have caught have been in 20-25ft.

Y
youngbuck307
no the only hole i fish is like 140ft in one spot and there are times that you dont sit 10 min befor bringing a fish to the bank... the main thing is that there is a place food gathers. I bet that they do come up to feed on flats but if you target them in a hole less crap fish and more sturgeon. The other thing is i know they like some current to keep the food comming!

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
Sorry,
I usually dont fish 20 feet of water. I fish 60 or 80 feet,
And I have problems with pikeminnow only 1 time when I was fishing in the Willamette.

Y
youngbuck307
Yea see sturgeon will hold there as well as the other fish get a lil deeper and u should get away from most other fish. normaly lol

B
beaverfan
Sorry but I think you guys are wrong. I'm fairly certain they head to shallower sandy bottom areas with current when they are searching out food. I once told my dad I found a deep sturgeon hole and he laughed at me. Looked at me like I was an idiot and explained the feeding habits of Sturgeon. We ended up in 23 ft of water and boated 17 fish in less than 3 hours. That's why when you go out to Buoy 10 most of the fish are caught between 15-30ft. Five years ago he hooked into a 12 footer in under 10ft of water. You will still get bites in deep holes but the fish are not actively searching out food. Not trying to be rude or start an argument, I just simply disagree.

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
So I dident catch 19 Shakers and 3 Oversizers in 68 Feet of water.
Explain that to me.

B
beaverfan
I don't doubt you did, like I said you will still catch them in deeper water. They pretty much sit in the deep holes and if they happen to stumble upon your bait of course there gonna eat it. But when they are actively feeding they will go to shallower areas with current simply because the current washes food downriver to them. Plus due to there downward facing mouth they will search out food in flat areas because it's far more efficient than trying to suck the food out of a rocky area. I'm not saying you won't catch fish in deep holes because you will especially with these warm water temps. I don't think that focusing on the shallow areas with current is nearly as important now as it used to be due to the sheer number of Sturgeon in our rivers. There are tons of them and they are pretty much everywhere now.

Last edited:
M
Markcanby
How about this guys if there not biting in the shallow water Beav go to deep water where they hold up an Troutbassier if you can't get a bit in the deep stuff hit the shallows an lets fight the Gilneters!!

B
beaverfan
Hahaha I agree!

Y
youngbuck307
Troutier Bassier said:
So I dident catch 19 Shakers and 3 Oversizers in 68 Feet of water.
Explain that to me.

Boat or bank.... i want to see a 12 year old kid fight 3 oversize from the bank i bet u give up withen the first hour.....

T
Troutier Bassier
Boat.
I could fight an 80 From the bank Easily.

B
beaverfan
Your funny kid! Landing an 80 inch fish is a lot of things but easy is not one of them.

Y
youngbuck307
Beaverfan your so right!!! i think almost anyone in here would say its a arm burner and not easy....and when i say oversize im talking something around 9ft not no 80in...

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Can you see me? No? Good!

Can you see me? No? Good!

Keep it civil,please. We really cannot see any strutting or posturing from this side of the screen.

Be safe.
Barb

T
Troutier Bassier
beaverfan said:
Your funny kid! Landing an 80 inch fish is a lot of things but easy is not one of them.
Dont judge a Book by its Cover,
You have never seen me.
Never heard my Voice,
Never seen me fish,
So Dont be saying that I couldent do that.

B
beaverfan
Chill out bro' I aint saying you never caught one. I'm just saying it aint easy. Most full grown men are exhausted after landing an 80 incher.

T
Troutier Bassier
Of course I was tired.