Lami, or IM8?...

F
Fishtopher
Hey guys, Im stuck. My only rod right now is an 8'6 Ugly Stick Medium/hvy 15-30lb. I got it for, well I just got it. Thats all. After getting into other methods of fishing lately, I need somethin' differ'nt.
I think my thought process is in order: Drift rod, I want to feel everything. So I want a sensitive rod tip. Float rod: Sensitivity is thrown out the window, in exchange for something long enough to effectively mend line or keep line off water. Any opinions otherwise?
So I want to use the new rod for both methods.
My big question is this:Which rod would you get/recommend?
Fishermans is having a sale, the Lamiglas Classic Glass Rods are 89.99 knocked down to 58.88. This rod has a super nice feel for drifting imo. The one I was looking at today was 9'6 15-30lb felt like medium action.

Other choice is the Buzz Ramsey IM8. Originally 89.99, knocked to 59.99. 9ft I can't recall the specs on it though it was close to the Lami. Seems like both rods are really popular, I just dont know anything about 'em!.
By the way, sorry my post is a mess...:rolleyes:

K
Kodiak
jaded

jaded

I worked at fishemans in O.C. back when it was Larry's. I saw a ton of Lami's come back earning them the nickname of Lamisnap. My youngest brother fishes them like religon and is currently rodless but still swears by them. I have seen increadible pressure put on some big fish with the IM8 and hold up ( both of my parents use them for chinook, Also the same as Joes North by Northwest rods) they have reasonable sensitivity, and a better waranty.

In the same price range you may want to consider a Grigg. I have had one for going on 6 yrs, never a problem, light weight, plenty of back bone, decent sensitivity, fast action ( I like that for drift fishing and spinners), and comes in size ranges that will be a good all around rod (12-20Lb 8'6" and 9' versions.

B
bigdog
Well Chris you got to try out my Griggs and you liked it so might as well get the griggs man. As far as the northwest rods go they are made by Griggs so can't go wrong with them.

R
RIVERFISHER
i gotta use my new lami rogue river special and i love it... evn tho i used my north x northwest more today lol......lami felt awsome tho.....christmas present from the wife....and bye the way... the alsea is low so if anyone of u go there not worth it till we get a good full day of rain ......maybe 2

F
Fishtopher
Dang it.

Dang it.

Uhh, my delima just "worsened".
I called my wife, and told her about "my christmas present", and told her the prices. She laughed and said, "Well I was gonna spend 250-300 and get one of those "Glue-mees" fishin' poles". No kidding. Thats how she pronounced it.
So, is there anyone out there with G-Loomis rod that can give some input? All I know is they are kinda spendy for a fishin pole. Seeing how I already catch fish on a 35 dollar rod...

K
Kodiak
Gl2 9' 10-20

Gl2 9' 10-20

Thats my meat stick. Light enough for finess rigs in low clear, heavy enough to skip fall slabs to the boat. The best warinty in the business. Break it and for $50.00 they deliver a spankin' new rod to your door in about 24-48 hours, perform a funeral service for your old one, and cart it off. My 9' is what I normally pack. Yes they are expensive, but they are worth every cent. Makes lami's feel like a club. You can feel a fingerprint on glass with them...not kidding. After a couple of trips you will wonder how you ever lived without one. It takes about three trips to the river to get used to the sensitivity, but once you do you will be able to feel a fish stare at your gear. You will be able to feel the size of rocks, sand, concrete, fish, rocks,....S*** missed 'em, rocks. you can fish your drift with your eyes closed and know how blind people can read brail. YOU WON'T BE SORRY, EVER!

R
RIVERFISHER
man my wifes a cheap skate....i better right santa and tell him i want a glumees..:p

Troutski
Troutski
Gloomis....

Gloomis....

I own two of them.....someone once told me the difference between a fishing pole and a fishing rod was a hundred bucks. The truth is once you have used one for the day you will be a believer, the sensitivity is almost spooky. Simply amazing...like was said before; very expensive but worth it. In my opinion....marry it with a Shimano Stradic with braided line and you have a fishing machine...

Chuck

F
Fishtopher
Ok, research has pushed me away from the Lami Classic Glass...starting to lean towards the IM8 and new reel too. If I get the Gluemiss;), I woudlnt be able to get a fitting reel right away...

B
bigdog
Make sure you see what the warrinty is like for the IM8 before you rule out the griggs but remember you can test drive it and see if you like it if not trade to other one

L
luv2fish
i guess there's a fairly considerable price difference in lami and im8..isn't it?

F
fish_4_all
Well I am gonna throw my 2 cents in here.

I don't really think it matters! I am one that finds a pole that feels good and one I can cast for hours without having my arm feeling like it will fall off. I would personally go for the IM8 because I love my IM7 rods so much.

As for feel and sensitivity, I have never felt anything more sensitive than my E-Glass rods. I have a 6'6" for trout and an 8'6" for salmon and steelhead and I love it. I can feel a bug land on the line on both of them. To be honest I don't like either one for drift fishing because they are too sensitive. I use them primarily for bobber and still fishing.

I realize that a good rod can be an advantage but there is an old timer that fishes on a river up here that will tell you it simply doesn't matter. He uses an old rod that is about as sensitive as a rock. He can cast it about 30 feet and out fishes every single person on the river 95/100 days.

Get a rod that you like the feel of or it won't make a darn bit of difference how much you paid! I have used LamiGlass and G-Loomis and hated them with a passion. Maybe if I used them every time I fished for a long time I would finally get used to feeling every single little tiny rock and being able to tell "oh that was a 1 inch rock and that was 2 inch rock or that was a nibble, that was take and spit or that was a slam" would make a difference but I will stick to what feels good.

Get 6 rods for different situations instead of spending $400 or more on one.

B
bigdog
luv2fish said:
i guess there's a fairly considerable price difference in lami and im8..isn't it?

Yeah about $200 diference

L
luv2fish
fish_4_all said:
Well I am gonna throw my 2 cents in here.

I don't really think it matters! I am one that finds a pole that feels good and one I can cast for hours without having my arm feeling like it will fall off. I would personally go for the IM8 because I love my IM7 rods so much.

As for feel and sensitivity, I have never felt anything more sensitive than my E-Glass rods. I have a 6'6" for trout and an 8'6" for salmon and steelhead and I love it. I can feel a bug land on the line on both of them. To be honest I don't like either one for drift fishing because they are too sensitive. I use them primarily for bobber and still fishing.

I realize that a good rod can be an advantage but there is an old timer that fishes on a river up here that will tell you it simply doesn't matter. He uses an old rod that is about as sensitive as a rock. He can cast it about 30 feet and out fishes every single person on the river 95/100 days.

Get a rod that you like the feel of or it won't make a darn bit of difference how much you paid! I have used LamiGlass and G-Loomis and hated them with a passion. Maybe if I used them every time I fished for a long time I would finally get used to feeling every single little tiny rock and being able to tell "oh that was a 1 inch rock and that was 2 inch rock or that was a nibble, that was take and spit or that was a slam" would make a difference but I will stick to what feels good.

Get 6 rods for different situations instead of spending $400 or more on one.

Finally someone....thank you fish 4 all....its very true. not only that i share the same appreciation for im7's and im8's. I've quite a few of those rods.
Well one can spend $ 50,000 on rods or whatever ( its an exppresion) but people who know how to feel a fish, don need a whole lot of money.
I was not a very serious fisherman until last summer and had caught only one salmon and one steelhead before that in my whole life.
And guess what, i just paid attention to basics and boom boom , i've 6 nooks ( fall nooks) on my tag and prolly like 8-10 silvers ( which i can't find place to tag on so i bought another one.) 3 of them were on $ 15 pole ( walmart brand----mako) and caught them by drift fishing.
So you see my point which totally coincides with what you say.

Not that i can't buy lami or G loomis but to me the question is why ...when i can do the same thing for lot lot less. and moreover i'm not a competiting fishing guy who participates in fishing derby or something.

And your old timer is absolutely right " it doesn't matter" . I've an old timer freind like that and guess what he says on this ................."it doesn't matter".

And last but not the least, the pole and the user should have a wonderful chemistry and should feel like "made for each other"..lol...
just an expression.

F
fish_4_all
I think the IM8 will be more than adequate for both drift and float fishing. I have a 10'6" float rod that is a Fenwich Legacy. I like it but it is too heavy to use all day long. I would stay with the IM8 as they are light weight and will be more than enough to for good casts with a float.

Here a though:
Go out and take a piece of fishing line and tie to the tip of the pole you want to buy. Have someone hold the line, you close your eyes and have them do a series of different things to the line to see if you feel it. Once you find one you like the feel of, buy it.

Last edited:
F
Fishtopher
Warning: Heavely opinionated post!!

Warning: Heavely opinionated post!!

luv2fish said:
Finally someone....thank you fish 4 all....its very true. not only that i share the same appreciation for im7's and im8's. I've quite a few of those rods.
Well one can spend $ 50,000 on rods or whatever ( its an exppresion) but people who know how to feel a fish, don need a whole lot of money.
I was not a very serious fisherman until last summer and had caught only one salmon and one steelhead before that in my whole life.
And guess what, i just paid attention to basics and boom boom , i've 6 nooks ( fall nooks) on my tag and prolly like 8-10 silvers ( which i can't find place to tag on so i bought another one.) 3 of them were on $ 15 pole ( walmart brand----mako) and caught them by drift fishing.
So you see my point which totally coincides with what you say.

Not that i can't buy lami or G loomis but to me the question is why ...when i can do the same thing for lot lot less. and moreover i'm not a competiting fishing guy who participates in fishing derby or something.

And your old timer is absolutely right " it doesn't matter" . I've an old timer freind like that and guess what he says on this ................."it doesn't matter".

And last but not the least, the pole and the user should have a wonderful chemistry and should feel like "made for each other"..lol...
just an expression.

I didn't know I'd be defending my choices...There are many other factors that will go into buying this rod. Ya I could go fish my old yellow Eagle Claw for drift fishing. Sure. Who cares if its mustard yellow...I do. If you have ever seen a G-Loomis or a Lami, they dont come with the fake yellow and orange wrap on the rod. And what does a Lami have to do with a fishing derby? And Ive been salmon and steelhead fishing since I was 8 years old, 20 years since my dad first handed off a Springer, so I kinda have an idea of what I really want in a QUALITY rod, just looking for input from folks who may have fished the choices I thew out there. Might as well go drift for steelhead with the 5ft heavy action boat rod it sounds like. And every old timer you find that fishes a zebco, Ill find two with a Lamiglass.

You gonna drive that old beat up smoking junker that your cousin left in your side yard, or you gonna drive that nice 4wd Tundra that sits right next to it...

:confused:Why buy a clackacraft when you could buy a Seyvlor(sp).
:protest:Why buy Owners or VMC's when you could buy Eagle Claw.
:protest:Why buy P-Line when you could buy Big Game.
:protest:Why twist a spinner when you could just throw a Blue Fox.
:protest:Why toss Amerman's when you could toss Guides Choice.
:protest:Why buy Cadillac when you could buy a Saturn.
:protest:Why eat at Original Taco House when you could eat a pinto's n cheese.

I think you get the idea...QUALITY.

The rod I was looking at the other day had a beautiful wrap on it, with the cork handle, and the cool little hook holder at the top of the handle. If it was a one peice wrap on the blank, it sure fooled me. It felt like it was made for me when I flexed it...I dont mind your opinions, but its coming across as trash talking anything more than 100 dollars:confused:. And the Lamiglass I was looking at was CHEAPER than the IM8...:D

F
fish_4_all
That is kinda point I think. I didn't mean to make it sounds like I was bashing anything over $100. Hell, I spend an extra $0.17 each for my spinner beads to make my spinners because they look good to me and for me, I catch more fish on them. Could go and get one for a penny apiece and probably catch fish but I don't.

Loomis, Fenwick, IM?, Garcia, Eagle Claw, Lami Glass, Grigg or whatver you decide to buy, it needs ot feel right to you and thatis all that matters. $20, $200 or $1,000 doesn't matter if you can afford it, it has to feel right.

The old timer catches fish on his old brick rod because it feels right and he knows every single thing that he feels on the rod.

Quality wise, I still recommend the IM8 although I would get an IM7 before the IM8 but that is what I like. But with the ability to get the Lamiglass and try it and then take it back if you don't like it, I might go that way. Never turn down the opportunity to try it if you can return it with no questions asked. There is one rod I would pay the big money for if I could find one though. Kunnan 9' medium light casting rod. I have never felt one I liked better and will likely never find one.

Main point, I used to buy a rod because it looked good and because of the name. It now takes me way too long to decide on a rod because I know what I like and it is hard to find. I won't use a trout sized Fenwick rod but I own 2 of them for salmon and steelhead. I can not stand Abu Garcia rods over 6' long so I use them for trout. Shakespeare, great trout rods for me but I can't stand them for slamon or steelhead. Lightning rods, great for one way I fish but I hate them for everything else.

The nicest, best looking, best made pole I own was a gift when I signed up for a club. Guess what, it will be as pretty in 35 years as it is today because it is the worst feeling pole I have ever owned.

Get what feels right, find it in a pole you like the look of and tight lines!

Troutski
Troutski
Here,here...

Here,here...

Fishtopher said:
I didn't know I'd be defending my choices...There are many other factors that will go into buying this rod. Ya I could go fish my old yellow Eagle Claw for drift fishing. Sure. Who cares if its mustard yellow...I do. If you have ever seen a G-Loomis or a Lami, they dont come with the fake yellow and orange wrap on the rod. And what does a Lami have to do with a fishing derby? And Ive been salmon and steelhead fishing since I was 8 years old, 20 years since my dad first handed off a Springer, so I kinda have an idea of what I really want in a QUALITY rod, just looking for input from folks who may have fished the choices I thew out there. Might as well go drift for steelhead with the 5ft heavy action boat rod it sounds like. And every old timer you find that fishes a zebco, Ill find two with a Lamiglass.

You gonna drive that old beat up smoking junker that your cousin left in your side yard, or you gonna drive that nice 4wd Tundra that sits right next to it...

The rod I was looking at the other day had a beautiful wrap on it, with the cork handle, and the cool little hook holder at the top of the handle. If it was a one peice wrap on the blank, it sure fooled me. It felt like it was made for me when I flexed it...I dont mind your opinions, but its coming across as trash talking anything more than 100 dollars:confused:. And the Lamiglass I was looking at was CHEAPER than the IM8...:D

I don't think I could have said it better...in life you get what you pay for...that being said. If you don't like the idea of paying $250.00 for a rod then don't. It is that simple, but don't run the expensive rod builders down; there is a true reason those rods cost that much...Quality.. Until you have fished one you just don't understand. Just my opinion.

Chuck

C
cchinook
my meat stick

my meat stick

Lami Kinai Killer -- bought 10 yrs. ago - casting - it has dealt with a lot of large fishies and even some sturge - although by accident -

B
bigdog
Fishtopher said:

See now finally someone that has the lower end to say what he thinks. Hell forever and a day I was using these $30 reel and rod combos and now that I got my Griggs and Shimano I can't think of going back to the cheap ones and you were there with me on saterday I was over there looking at them g rods and still looking and thinking about getting one. Still not to sure yet I do like my Griggs but never nothing wrong with having more then one nice rod to use.
So with all said what one you thinking of goiong for bro :lol:

Last edited: