Lakes to Camp and Fish at?

N
Noahk
I was thinking about trying to get away over the weekend to do some light camping and fishing. I was wondering if there are some lakes you folks would recommend 2-4 hours from the PDX area that would have some good trout fishing this time of year? I'd like to camp near or on the lake if possible. I have an inflatable kayak I can use to get around the lake, but obviously it's not the most serious fishing vessel. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Troutski
Troutski
Detroit...

Detroit...

Maybe you could try Detroit or Big Cliff...both are not to far from you and have plenty of Trout...

Chuck

N
Noahk
Hey Chuck. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I was hoping for one a bit smaller and more isolated. Maybe something like Erma Bells that you don't have to hike into? I've got a leg injury that keeps me from carrying too much weight, plus no back packing gear.

D
Dichrofisher
Hidden Lake, hidden behind Cougar. You can drive right up to it.

D
dylnbrwn
Twin Lakes

Twin Lakes

It's still a little early in the season but late may or early June, I'd recommend Twin lakes on the Cascade Lakes Hwy just south of Bend. My favorite is South Twin with a great campground that has camping sites right on the lake and you can leave your kayak tied up on the shore. Its a deep lake (about 50ft) but has great fishing. And if it doesn't work out for you, North Twin is only one mile north and I've caught some beautiful rainbows in it. The great thing about that area is you are surrounded by lots and lots of great fishing opportunities all around you and great camping.

F
Fatties
Hello all... Is Twin Lakes still snowed in, camping available for next week?

D
dylnbrwn
Fatties said:
Hello all... Is Twin Lakes still snowed in, camping available for next week?

My guess is yes. It is probably snowed in quite a bit right now. If my memory serves me right, I believe it sometimes takes till Memorial Day weekend usually and thats not even a guarantee that the snow will be all gone.

F
Fleadog
South Lake

South Lake

South lake in the Coast Range, the road is gravel and at the summit on Hwy 22 west of Grand Rhonde, clearly marked. Maybe a little snow though and don't know the stocking schedule.

O
Oregonchris
Hebo Lake out on the coast ....small, quiet, beautiful, and well stocked usually.

Last edited:
N
Noahk
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! Keep them coming!

I think I'm going to check out Cougar lake this weekend, but lots of the other spots sound great and I'm looking forward to heading to a few of them later in the year. Thanks again!