Lakes this time of year within 2 hrs of Portland?

S

shannonlab

Relatively new to fly fishing from a boat on lakes (previously mostly walk/wade or floats on rivers). My wife (who usually catches more fish than I do!!) would like to take our new boat (15' modified v-hull) out for a day of fishing next weekend. Our boat has a 20hp motor, but also is fully outfitted with oars (it rows well) for lakes that don't allow motors.

Any suggestions for lakes this time of year within a 2 hour drive of Portland would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bryan

DOKF

DOKF

Hagg Lake and Timothy Lake allow motor boats ..

Many others as well.

S

shannonlab

Thank you for your replies.

I believe the boat ramp at Timothy Lake is closed now.

And yes, we have WA licenses, but aren't familiar with lakes up there within 2 hours of Portland. Any suggestions?

P

pcstock

There are literally hundreds.

Try Lake Takhlakh. Good trout fishing. No motors though. And no motors on most of the smaller lakes.

bass

bass

Most Featured
I don't fish the WA lakes for trout but the WDFW website seems really good when I have looked at it. I know that Lacamas gets stocked and has some browns as well as rainbows. Battleground lake is another lake that gets well stocked (I think no motors on that one). You can go to the WDFW site and poke around.

The above might be useful but you can also just look for lakes that have trout:

They have a pretty awesome website.

Here is the regions map:

O

olshiftybiscuits

Thank you for your replies.

I believe the boat ramp at Timothy Lake is closed now.

And yes, we have WA licenses, but aren't familiar with lakes up there within 2 hours of Portland. Any suggestions?
Lost Lake, Trillium, Frog, Clear once this first round of snow melts and refills it. Lawrence is opening back up on October 16 but will close again for the season on Halloween. Lake Harriet is probably the best fly fishing lake on the mountain.

S

shannonlab

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. We greatly appreciate it.

We look forward to a lot for exploring with our new boat.

Cheers,

troutdude

troutdude

Maybe Kingsley Reservoir, SW of the Hood River Golf Club, is close enough. It produces some beasts from time to time.

O

olshiftybiscuits

Maybe Kingsley Reservoir, SW of the Hood River Golf Club, is close enough. It produces some beasts from time to time.
I believe Kingsley is still closed. Pine Hollow is fishable. But I can't say I'd choose either of those over the lakes on the actual mountain, especially coming from Portland. Closer, bigger fish, wild fish in every lake.

troutdude

troutdude

I believe Kingsley is still closed. Pine Hollow is fishable. But I can't say I'd choose either of those over the lakes on the actual mountain, especially coming from Portland. Closer, bigger fish, wild fish in every lake.
I may have been thinking of Pine Hollow. Was only there once, circa 1990. ;-)

And was just tryin' to think of options.

Grant22

Grant22

I fish pine hollow a lot and there are some absolute brutes in there, Lots of small fish that you have to pick through but once the water comes back up fish with a woolly bugger, leech pattern, or a streamer behind the row of islands and the creek inlet on the northwest corner of the lake. usually you can sight fish them and I personally have caught 10lb+ fish in two feet of water.

IMG_0690.jpg

Last edited: