Lake trout

F
fishfighter
I just wanted to get an idea of what tactics you guys fish for lakers out here to see if there vary different from my own I basically run to jet divers up high for cohos or steel high up two dipsey divers one at the thermocline and one 10 feet below then 2 1 pound balls one bouncing the bottom the other afew feet up all pulling magnum spoons or small j plugs

H
halibuthitman
I simply use leadcore trolling line and slowly back out a few colors at a time, pulling rapallas... on the week of ice off I will pull them at 3-15' down and as the season progresses and water gets warmer move deeper and deeper. in lakes I know where the hard bottom is I will bounce white jigs on gravel bottom.

F
fishfighter
I'm guessing you also fish in 50 to over 300 feet of water?

H
halibuthitman
fishfighter said:
I'm guessing you also fish in 50 to over 300 feet of water?
the later in the season.... the deeper I go, any well defined drop or ledge in the 75-100' range always seems to be a pretty good bet

H
halibuthitman
I think a much overlooked fact is that as summer progresses, and water temps begin to rise some lakes have too little oxygen in the deeper spots.. and do not support larger life well, at the same time as invasive weeds start to choke the bays and decay the water gets very warm and starts to become poisonous to trout, this time of year, august and september, the deepwater points and 75-100' deep structures support much of the life that used to be shallow and deep, the fishing gets tighter and seems to have slowed down becouse now only 20-30 mabe 40 percent of the lake is suitable habitat for trout. just a theory though.

F
fishfighter
you get any big ones over there my best is a 24 pounder

F
fishfighter
I usly fish bait balls if I find them

H
halibuthitman
my biggest was 21 lb in gold lake california, 20 lb in bucks lake california and 18 lb in loon lake washington.... and dozens of 8-10 lbs and a handfull of 10-15 lbs

F
fishfighter
are you getting fats or leans the leans have nice red meat

H
halibuthitman
on a side note on gear... I quit using my down rigger becouse the average mack lake is too clear, and I really think the cannonball spooks a lot of fish. since running leadline I have caught quite a few more fish on average a trip. just a thought- Brad

F
fishfighter
we have a sulotion to that hear in michigan its called a seacret weapon rig or swr for short its a 2 or 3 color lead core run off a downrigger so the rigger ball dosn't go through and spook the fish

H
halibuthitman
fishfighter said:
are you getting fats or leans the leans have nice red meat

not too sure.. I have only kept one, and that was about 25 years ago.... I eat mostly steelhead and halibut:D I appreciate that secret weapon rig... about five guys im gonna tell about it are gonna really dig it.. thanks!

Chromatose
Chromatose
I have used Shark fin, Cannon Balls, with good results. More leaning towards Shark fin. I to had my doubts about the Rattler. Some new fangled thing for me to spend my $$$$ on. That was until I went out with some one that used them exclusively in tournament and Charter fishing. I have to say I was impressed on how they worked. So I bought one and gave it a try on one rigger, then used a Shark fin on the other. Seemed to me I caught more fish with the rattler. Then I used a Cannon Ball/ Rattler and there to was a significant difference with the Rattler. I am not trying to promote any thing here. I am just answering to a post of what works for me with Lake Trout fishing. But I do not just use the Rattler for Lake trout exclusively. As to the Midwest, I can not speak for the entire fishery, but I have seen my fair share of Rattlers hanging from riggers out in the Great Lakes. Also I have used the Rattlers out in the Pacific and done quite well. As apposed to a Cannon ball or a Shark Fin. But to each their own when it comes to fishing. Some days I stand on my left foot while keeping my right hand in the air. Mouth held just right. And all the planets aligned in the right direction, with the moon in it`s best position. Chanting COME ON FISHY`S, and still I couldn't buy a fish.

F
fishfighter
rattlers are taking over more but so are glow balls its a split right now between stealth and the oppisit of stealth it depends on the day for me whatever the fish want is what I try to give them Chromatose are you a great lakes angler?

Chromatose
Chromatose
Stealth is the name of the game at times. That is why I will go with Core & a Board. Inline or from a mast. Just depends on how many rods I am going to have in the water. Your absolutely right about what the fish may want. That single fact has been the driving force for me for years. When you get it all figured out please give a man a break and let me know.......lol................ Been spending money in the Great Lakes a couple of times. As well as the Pacific North West.

Ever fish Lake Nipigon?

Last edited: